torshift tranny groaning at WOT with new tune. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 2towrjp, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 880 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
whistling up a storm

Garage
torshift tranny groaning at WOT with new tune.

okay this is really scarying the crap out of me. I can't even find the right words to explain the sound. is it a matter of needing to "learn" if I drive around normal then no big deal but soon as I get on it, or go WOT or hook up for a tow, the tranny is making a groaning sound in the vicinity of the bellhousing.

At first I was thinking it was the downpipeclamp rubbing, or the polurethane swaybar bushings, but nope. then was thinking maybe I overtourqued the tranny mount?

I am using Jody's economy and aggressive tow tunes on an SCT. I returned to stock but same sounds. what is "tranny learning" and how long are we talking?

using the internet in a hotel right now, would really like some advice tonight please.....

PS: going back to stock sucked!

'03 PSD 6.0 CCSB 4x4 Lariat loaded-no moon or pedals. SCT XCAL2 by LIPD/DP-Tuner CORRECTED BY RYAN @ SCT
DR EDGE 4.5 with signature shocks, HELO MAXX 8's on 325/65/18 Nitto TG's, 4" MBRP 409 SS turboback w/ powertube, cat delete, and 6" tip, AEM brute force intake, Sinister EGR Valve/Cooler Delete and Coolant Bypass Filter, Y-PIPE, Upipe upgrades, Overhead ISSPRO EV2 GUAGEs (4), Tint, ventvisor, rockford fosgate/XM, Vector bedliner.
MODS: blockheater lic plate, AIC, steveracer, Harpoon, zoodad, flipped cc seat brackets.
To Do list:CCV Reroute
Wishlist: power rear seat, power rear slider or Sleeper cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 02:08 AM
fordt

I have no idea :shrug: I believe I run the same tunes you do, and I have never heard of such a noise from the tranny.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
whistling up a storm
Threadstarter

Garage
what does are the symptoms of a toasted converter?

'03 PSD 6.0 CCSB 4x4 Lariat loaded-no moon or pedals. SCT XCAL2 by LIPD/DP-Tuner CORRECTED BY RYAN @ SCT
DR EDGE 4.5 with signature shocks, HELO MAXX 8's on 325/65/18 Nitto TG's, 4" MBRP 409 SS turboback w/ powertube, cat delete, and 6" tip, AEM brute force intake, Sinister EGR Valve/Cooler Delete and Coolant Bypass Filter, Y-PIPE, Upipe upgrades, Overhead ISSPRO EV2 GUAGEs (4), Tint, ventvisor, rockford fosgate/XM, Vector bedliner.
MODS: blockheater lic plate, AIC, steveracer, Harpoon, zoodad, flipped cc seat brackets.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 02:23 AM
fordt

Not for sure, but I would imagine the biggest noticable difference would be the converter slipping while pulling, or feeling it slip alot on the hi-way.

If you ease into the fuel while traveling down the hi-way, and your mph, don't follow the rpm's then I'd look at the converter.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 02:53 AM

It should not take very long for the tranny to relearn with the SCT. I have never heard the sound you are describing. Is your tranny slipping?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
whistling up a storm
Threadstarter

Garage
so far the rpms seem accurate. that was something I was thinking of earlier, the sound only occurs under load, at throttle. and gets obnoxious at WOT. so until I figure out what it is I will be babysitting.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 02:56 AM

Have you checked the fluid level of the tranny and the transfer case???
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 02:58 AM

Sounds like somthing droaning to me. :shrug:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
whistling up a storm
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschall
Have you checked the fluid level of the tranny and the transfer case???
Yes, that was my first thought, like you are trying to operate something without enough fluid and it is slurping/groaning trying to feed itself????? 5ft long dipstick and 3/4" readable area..... was full and clean. I was trying to explain it on the phone to LIPD, but I couldn't find the vocabulary to describe it.

what about a clog somewhere in the valve bodies? (I don't know enough about auto trannys to really be going down this road) This is my first automatic in 17 years. was told once that clogs were the number one source of failure, mainly attirbuted to people using RTV and it breaking loose.

FORDt: when you are running these tunes does your AIC mod work? mine shoots to over 2K RPM then studders and wants to redline, so I have to flip the switch back..

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
whistling up a storm
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzboy
It should not take very long for the tranny to relearn with the SCT. I have never heard the sound you are describing. Is your tranny slipping?
no idea, aside from the sound, and some shudders, especially makes the sound when you hit a bump, when on the gas. Other than that, it goes as it should. never had a slipping tranny, so I don't know the sysmtoms. unless I compare to a burnt clutch all *** and no traction...

how can you check the tranny diagnostics. the SCT shows no dtc's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode