Frogs Tunes - Direct Injection Performance - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by COTTS4x4, this thread has received 17 replies and been viewed 1485 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Frogs Tunes - Direct Injection Performance

Anyone running these tunes? I just talked to Doug today and am going to get an SCT Xcalibrator II from him next week. He has a guy that distributes his stuff not too far from me and I will be heading over there to get set up and meet the guys over there that can hook me up with warranty work when needed.

What tunes are you running from him? Anyone had any problems out of them? Anything special I should ask for in my tuning?

Can anyone compare his tunes to others by DJ & Innovative and others? Either way I am going with these three from Doug, but if there is something else out there that is a must have I will look into getting that one eventually.

I talked to him about adding the power of the street tune to the tow file like Carssucks truck has and he said that was no problem. Also going to get his street and Gonzo files. I don't tow anything to speak of with my truck being lifted 8" on 38's and a 16" drop hitch. I also have traction bars on the way for it.

I dont know any of these guys/tuners from online, but who says to call them on Fathers Day (Sunday) to discuss what I want and says to call him at anytime of the night because he is probably up? Such as last night when I think he said he was up until 3 or 4am.

Thanks,
Scott

Here is the truck it will going in - 2004 F350 with 11,000 miles
http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.c...y.ten?id=20634
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Diesel Junky

I just got an SCT 2 from him a few weeks ago. Great guy to deal with, really knows his stuff, and if you have a problem he will fix it. I have only tried the race file so far, great shifting and lots of power. Doug is the man.

2005 F350 Crew Short bed Dually 6.0L TS 4.10.
304 mbrp cool duals. Kenwood kvt717 dvd player
magellan gps. X box. kicker 10" sub. MTX 752 pro amp
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:37 PM

Doug hooked me up with a street file a few weeks ago. He took care of a small problem I had over the phone, answered all questions I had even told me a few things about tunes and what to expect. He is a stand up guy....

Russ
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the responses guys. I will be getting mine from him tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait.

Thanks,
Scott

:93C_peelo
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well guys I got my tunes in and holy crap does it run. Power to spare and smoke is perfect. Doug even called me to make sure everything was perfect & talked to him again tonight. Only problem is that I am having trouble getting the 38's to hook up!

:thanks:

Scott
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 04:59 AM
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #44

Send a message via AIM to 6point6 Send a message via MSN to 6point6
Yeah, doug is a great guy and a good friend to have. If you have any questions about a 6.0L then he is a good guy to ask!

2006 CC FX4 PSD 6.0 (GONE)

2005 LLY Duramax CC SB 4x4 - PPE Hot +2 ET on Level 8, MBRP 4" Straight piped Exhaust, PPE Intake, 315 Cooper STT's on stockers!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Texas XC Quad Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COTTS4x4
Well guys I got my tunes in and holy crap does it run. Power to spare and smoke is perfect. Doug even called me to make sure everything was perfect & talked to him again tonight. Only problem is that I am having trouble getting the 38's to hook up!

:thanks:

Scott
I have the same problem..... but to some, it's a great problem to have....

Black 03 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Shortbed Lariat - studded 6.0, sunroof, MBRP muff-less exhaust, SCT tuning, JW trans, Cobalts, lifted, ProComp Xtreme ATs, 4.56 gears, High-Angle CV Driveline, Warn 15k, AmpSteps, stainless brake lines, Powerslots /Hawk, AGR pump/gearbox/ram, projector headlamps and one heavy foot....

Audio: Kenwood DDX-8017 in-dash TV/DVD/GPS, kickpanel pods, MB Quart 1" tweets/5.25"mids in kicks, 6.5" midbass in doors, rear MB Quart 6x8, Fosgate amps / 3000 watts, 3 - JL 10w6's. Fully Dynamatted and foamed interior.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 04:09 AM

Theres a transfer case under that truck for a reason. :Thumbup: And it was'nt put there for muddin either. :evil:
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Sumo Blue

I hope I don't ruffle any feathers, but I've used Doug's files as well as files from 3 other SCT custom programmers from this site.

Here are my thoughts:

One file was only as strong as Doug's street tune and left me wanting more. The shifts were smoother, but it didn't have the kick in the butt factor of Doug's tunes.

Another vendor's tune wasn't as strong as Doug's and gave me coolant puking problems. And I'm not talking about wide open runs, either. Going up and down through the mountains of PA at 75 mph made it puke......a lot. No, I wasn't towing anything and I didn't have anything in the bed. In all, I lost 24 oz of coolant over a couple of months. And the only way I could get the TC to lock up in overdrive was to get out of the throttle for a second. Basically, at highway speeds I had to lift the throttle to let rpms drop and then get back into it.

A third vendor's tune wasn't even close power wise and I had all kinds of problems with the TC not locking up. This was supposed to be their race file and it felt more like a street file.

The only complaint I have with Doug's tunes is that they surge a little on the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift. When the engine is cold, its much more noticable. However, I can say that when your 1/2 throttle or more, his programs shift awesome! And the TC locks up nice and early and really makes use of the extra torque.

Obviously, I'm not naming names or pointing fingers. There were some aspects of the other tunes that I liked better than Dougs--namely the partial throttle shifts and cold weather/cold motor drivability. But if I give my truck 5 min to warm up when its cold out (which I should do anyway), I'm okay.

Hands down, Doug has my business and will for a long, long time.

I know its too late to make a difference with your purchase (I think you'll be VERY happy with Doug's stuff), but thought I'd throw this out there for future browsing.

--Snake

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________
2005 Harley Davidson F-250 Superduty #3991, true blue

"Slightly" Modded
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 05:22 PM

Can anyone point me in the direction of a website for Doug? Sounds like he knows what is going on.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode