Trans Temp Guage ?? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Lifted94XLT, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 686 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Trans Temp Guage ??

Hey Y'all, I just got the third a final guage for my triple pillar pod and I went to install it tonight, and I ran into a small problem that is confusing the crap outta me. First off, its an Autometer Ultra'Lite Series Electric Guage and its got Three, well five, wire hook-ups......

1. Power for the bulb
2. Ground for the bulb
3. Signal Wire hook-up from Temp. Sensor
4. Ground Wire hook-up for Guage
5. Ignition Wire hook-up for Guage

Here's my question.... I tapped the Ground for the bulb into the ground wire for the guage so I only have to run one ground wire back down below the dash. The wierd thing is that if I hook up power to the bulb, and I connect the Signal Wire from the temp sensor to the guage, the bulbs lights up.... why is this? I know I'm not doin something wrong. is the Bulb somehow pullin the ground from the self ground temp sensor down on the tranny? I would doubt it would. Now, with the power to the bulb hooked up, the signal wire from the temp sensor hooked up, and the ground to the bulb hooked up, the bulb gets much brighter and works normal. My main question is that I have the bulbs hooked up to my dimmer so that my guages dim with the dash panel, and with this guage workin like it does, I can turn down the dimmer for the instrument panel all the way and the other two guage bulbs will go out (like they're supposed to) but the trans temp, is still one drawin power from the signal wire for the temp sensor. Am I just gonna have to deal with this or is something hooked up wrong?? Sorry for the LOOOONNNNGGGG post, but its kinda hard to explain without being really long explanation.

--Ryan :shrug:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19

Not sure but it sounds like you have made a series circuit out of your signal wire from the sender through the bulb to a ground. Not being there to see the problem is tough to diagnose. Try removing the bulb ground from the gauge circuit to see if it cures the problem.

Let me know what happens.

LargeCar

LargeCar

Mafia # 19 The Dually Club # 19

If a country does not remember and honor its fallen heroes of the past, in the future that country will not be honored or remembered.

G.R. Wemmer

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks, I'll try that and let ya know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode