How does the dealer know - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by gobigorgohome, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1296 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

How does the dealer know

When you have a tuner like SCT or EDGE, Banks, Diablo etc.... if you uninstall it is there any way to tell it has been tuned before. Or is it safe to assume there is no trace. what about the equipment like with the ege do you have to take out the thermocouple for the pyro and the whole harness or do you just say that was for a guage. i know its getting pretty ridiculous with chevy i ran around with them for a while trying to get injectors finally when they gave in they said they were going to charge me 80 bucks an hour to do my injectors because my truck was lifted and they would have to go up and down a step stool. I pretty much told them to eat it, and went to the Ford dealership and traded the piece of s&*! in.

07.5 duramax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 08:04 PM

Right now the only way I know that they can tell is if they check your history ie boost, egts ect.. as far as the pyro and stuff, you can put them on a totally stock vehical. The stickers will give you away as well, but in the end it really depends on your dealer, we have a local Dodge dealer that is also a Bully Dog Distributor. :shrug:

Corey Tyler
Performance Products Manager
D&W Diesel, Inc.

[email protected]

www.dwperformance.com
www.dwdiesel.com
http://dwperformance.wordpress.com/
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/p...m/140701044325
Hours: Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM EST
888-296-8074
Power. Torque. Performance. Get Ahead.
Stay Ahead.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

They know how many times the PCM has been flashed, and every tune install/removal is another TWO reflashes. When this number does not match the number reported in the vehicle's warrenty history, they have you.

Having said that, most often no one looks unless you give them REASON to (like custom block ventilation).

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 02:32 PM
A mobile wrench

Would a second PCM that you stuck in whenever you have to visit the dealer be solution? (& take off the performance box too).
any idea?
wrench
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

No, the engine miles will not match the vehicle mileage.

I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 03:11 AM
diesel weenie

Most of the modules also have wires that need to be tapped into. They aren't just plug and play. Since it's usually the same wires, it's not too hard to check them for splices.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 01:01 PM
MAFIA #8

Garage
Most modules are just plug in play also and you dont have to tap into the wires. I know you dont need it for power pup or SCT and a lot of the the other stuff

Aaron - 2004 F350 "Offroad Edition"

2003 F250 "Pulling Truck"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 09:30 PM

Another key is if you have a pyro probe but no gauge. That is a dead give away. Keith

U. S. Navy Seabee Veteran.

We build, we fight , we drink more beer.

When you are up to your butt in alligators it is heard to remember the reason you are here is to drain the darn swamp.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

thats what i was talking about earlier, it would look kind of funny with a probe with no guage like if you had an edge or something.

07.5 duramax
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy
Most of the modules also have wires that need to be tapped into. They aren't just plug and play.
If anyone finds a module that is NOT "plug 'n play", where you need to cut into the factory wiring, RUN! Because the builders of that module certainly do not know how to properly modify the vehicle's operating parameters to attain the power they do. There is NEVER any reason to butch the factory wiring.

I vote for LIBERTY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode