Fuel Mileage - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by imported_dbric36, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 1564 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Mileage

What would be the best tuner available for fule mileage, ease of hookup and least chance of engine damage. I am looking for mileage and also when towing my boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 01:32 PM
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19

Personally I think the Edge Juice with Attitude is what you may want. If you are looking for ease of install or use the Edge would be my choice. If you want less chance of engine damage I would also go with the Edge. The Edge also gives you all the gauges you should need, the SCT you have to get your own gauges. Or has SCT gotten the monitor now?

I will probably get hammered by some of the others here that like the SCT. My reasoning is that if you just want a dependable truck with a bit more zip and economy the Edge seems to fit the bill. However, if you want a tuner that will make your truck more into a high performance truck for drags or sled pulling the SCT and custom tunes is what you need.

Some will tell you the Edge will fry your tranny, maybe in the past but not so now. Do a search on here and maybe some other places and see what the breakage rate is on the Edge and SCT. As of late I have been hearing of people that can't get enough of the custom tunes and keep getting them wilder and wilder til something lets go.

In the end the decision is yours and you have taken the first step in the decision process of which tuner is good for you.

I have the Edge and have used it with no problems/issue.

LargeCar :mafia

LargeCar

Mafia # 19 The Dually Club # 19

If a country does not remember and honor its fallen heroes of the past, in the future that country will not be honored or remembered.

G.R. Wemmer

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

What about something like the edge EZ? Any thoughts?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Supporting Vendor

Personally I say get an SCT. We could set you up with 3 files that are not too aggressive and meant for a mild gain while going for improved economy. The nice thing about the SCT is that I can shutoff your EGR valve to eliminate any EGR cooler issues, something you can't do with the Edge.

As far as the trans, the Edge at low power levels isn't going to hurt your transmission but it still does not do the transmission programming that the SCT will do.

Tadd Layton - Elite Diesel Engineering SCT Tuner for 6.0L/7.3L Ford using cylinder pressure measurements for peak power and engine reliability. www.elitedieseleng.com

Powering some of the most powerful 6.0s & 6.4s

VGT-SSThe originator, since January 2005.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 03:30 PM

I agree with Tadd on this one... Let us know if we can be of any assistance.

http://dj-performance.com
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks, I plan on going to a 4" stainless exhaust and maybe a mod or aftermarket air intake with a tuner on a 2003 F250 Crewcab 4X4 with the 6.0L.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well picked up my truck Saturday. Towed the car back from St Louis to Kentucky. Was just running the spped limits and using the ULSD fuel. I got 16.4 mpg. At the speed limit I was running 1750 to about 1900rpm's.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 05:09 AM

Any day and all day 13,000lbs and getting 13.6 mpg!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 12:23 AM

dam I got maybe 13 mpg stock on my 06 4x 6" lift with 37"'s s and I got an economy tune and got 11 and my hottest tunes got me 10 I would like some input from the guys with a similar setup as I to see if this is crappy or the norm. I thought my economy tune would have yeileded me better miles per gallon so I may be getting a new tune soon. what are the lifted 4x 6.0's getting for fuel mileage on tunes and stock?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 01:22 AM
Supporting Vendor

did you mention your 37's, the tunes might produce more if they were not calibrated for the 37's:shrug:

Tadd Layton - Elite Diesel Engineering SCT Tuner for 6.0L/7.3L Ford using cylinder pressure measurements for peak power and engine reliability. www.elitedieseleng.com

Powering some of the most powerful 6.0s & 6.4s

VGT-SSThe originator, since January 2005.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode