how are the TS 5X working - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by redneck6.0l, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1128 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
powerstrokes rule

how are the TS 5X working

last spring there was big hype about the 5X, i haven't tryed one myself, but a guy here has and was not impressed, I was wondering if anyone has dyno'd theres, or ran it down the track, Sled pulled with it, I remember guys saying it was a great street file. Thanks guys for your input.

2003 F-350 crew cab 4X4 6 leaker
a few mods

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 03:03 AM

I had a TS 5X for less than a month before I returned it taking advantage of their 30 day money back guarantee. The programmer worked great as far as shift and driveablity is concered. No shift flares and no puking. My only complaint is that it didn't make the power that was advertised. For one the boost was limited to 22psi. Don't know why TS decided to do this but how do you claim 150HP when limited boost to less than the factory. I don't remember the exact numbers but on the 150HP setting my truck made around 370HP and I think is was 700TQ or less. My Edge Platinum on 5/5 made 392HP and 750TQ and their claim is 100HP/200TQ. If you aren't looking to make big power the TS 5X is a great unit, just not for me. Thats my .02 worth.

Brent

2011 F350 CC SB SRW LARIAT
2 CRAVE OFF ROAD WHEELS 20 X 9
NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLERS 35 X 12.50 X 20
RECON LIGHTS
COLOR COATED GRILL SURROUNDING
H&S BLACK MAXX
4" DPF DELETE EXHAUST
S&B INTAKE
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 01:41 PM

Its good if you arent racing. the power is smooth, the shifts are good, the turbo lights quick. i ran it on my 05 F350 for a long time on the lower levels for fuel economy and it worked super. its just not a racing box, its more for putting the power that the truck should have had from the factory back. it tows super, nice and cool. good for day to day toolin around.

Dom
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 02:36 PM

Dom is 100% correct the 5X is not designed to be the tuner you take to the track. It was designed for day to day driving for someone that wants good power, good shifting, and a to wake up their truck. It does exactly that. I tested one for Dennis and Shiela back about 6 months ago. I really liked it. The boost sounds low. Dennis has it set up to max out at 27. 22 sounds like you had something going on. I asked Dennis, and he said that 27 was the best he found for boost. Above 27 he lost power, below he lost power. Remember, it was not designed to be the mega power adder that the SCT is. I currently am running it on my dads truck, and he freakin loves it. He doesn't want the power that I have. He still thinks he can take me, and I just don't have the heart to go out and give him a bad spankin!

THe 5X is great for what it was designed to do, and it shifts better than most of the products I have tried, and I have tried dang near all of them on my truck at one time or another. Dennnis can make big power, trust me on this!
If your interested give them a call. They are site sponsors, and all around great people.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 02:44 PM
is here and there.

Thanked 1,110 Times in 665 Posts
Dom, can you put some numbers on the fuel economy?

Tim, In your experience does the 5X make enough power to warrant studs or does it keep the hp low enough to not need them?

Life changes, so roll with it, not against it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 08:30 PM

I run an SCT custom from Innovative Diesel. Its set on Extreme Race for Daily use! 25k miles so far and no problems (knock on wood) We sell TS and never had a 5X complaint or returned. I havent tried one on anything we have, but we mostly sell Erics tunes for the 6.0L anyway. Not everyone wants the max hp believe it or not lol. So their are other options like the 5X. Like I said before....I run the Extreme Race everyday, and I dont use headstuds. We carry the ARP studs, and one day I will install a set, but that will be after injectors and such. For early 6.0ls I would be more cautous. And thats just my opinion lol.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalpilot
THe 5X is great for what it was designed to do, and it shifts better than most of the products I have tried, and I have tried dang near all of them on my truck at one time or another. Dennnis can make big power, trust me on this!
If your interested give them a call. They are site sponsors, and all around great people.

I have the 5x and will agree the shifting is good as factory, but why is that really? I mean is it boosting trans pressures or is it just keeping the factory levels there. Makes you wonder.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 01:56 AM

I agree 22psi is low but when I returned the truck to stock and tuned the edge up I hit 28-29psi and stock was running 26psi. TS said that was right when I asked, I told them it sounds low and asked why they would run less boost than stock.

2011 F350 CC SB SRW LARIAT
2 CRAVE OFF ROAD WHEELS 20 X 9
NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLERS 35 X 12.50 X 20
RECON LIGHTS
COLOR COATED GRILL SURROUNDING
H&S BLACK MAXX
4" DPF DELETE EXHAUST
S&B INTAKE
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 02:16 AM

Russ, i returned 18 mpgs with a one ton dumptruck driving it regularly. stock it got around 15. i used the 100 horse file mostly. buttery smooth power and the truck sure did go when you floored it.

Dom
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 02:04 PM

I tested a 5X for Dennis, it is a good tuner.

I ran it at the track with a Custom Race file Dennis made for me, put down a 14.58.

As far as towing. . .I did not like it. EGT's were sky high, pulling 4k they were 1200 cruising. . .that is too high in my book for that light of a load.

I currently have the 5X on my Dad's 05 6.0 on 100hp, he loves it. Boosted fuel mileage (18.1 CC SB) and it just has a little pep!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode