Smooth, Cool Power! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by imported_BigPSD, this thread has received 21 replies and been viewed 1495 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Smooth, Cool Power!

Here is the deal...Im running a 05 with 8" lift and 38"s...Ive tried a few of the SCT Extreme Tunes and they all seem to run really hot(cant go WOT for a full 1/4 mile...seen 1550 a cpl times on the edge that im using for gauges). Is that because of the extra drag of the big tires? Also i find the power comes on soooo hard compared to the edge. Anyone know of any extreme tunes that come on smooth and still run some what cool?

All i want is a truck that wont melt pistons and something with smooth power but still alot around the 400HP mark...

Please leave your ideas....Thanks:bow:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 07:08 AM

don't swet the temps, yes the big meats don't help, but i hit 1600 every time i race, over 300 1/4 mile passes, i am sure i have been close to 2000 and there is no issue, as long as your not running for 1 mile like that
also the edges have been known to read wacky
robert
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 01:16 PM

I think the 6.0s like to run hot anyway, right rob? the edge isnt good for your truck, id sell it and get yourself some regular gauges. then use the rest of the money for other goodies

Dom
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 01:17 PM

I agree with Robert. I've been racing mine at the Test n' Tune drags for a few months now. With the Egde Platinum I saw temps up around the 1700 mark. I switched out to the SCT from Innovative and still see temps up to the 1600 mark, but as long as you're not running like that for an extended period, you're fine. They cool back down pretty quick as you're coming up the return line. The probe is measuring the air temp in the exhaust. When it peaks out that high it takes a while, longer than a 1/4 mile run, to soak into all the other parts. It cools back down before it can soak any real heat in.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 03:35 PM

If you are talking about the Light Switch effect that Erics Extreme Street tune has once you reach the half throttle I think that they can change that around for you, some guys like it but others like a linear power curve. I personally like the light switch effect now.

2006 F250 XLT 6.0 CC Shortbed auto with Leer cap and fire engine red. Stock everything but running a
SCT Xcal2 tuned by Innovative Diesel. :smoke
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks guys...I think im gonna swap out the edge for some nice NV autometer gauges? Anyone know of Gauges that match harley's stock gauges better? Where is the best place to buy the 4pod a-pillar? I would love to find something that sets off an alarm when it gets really hot...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 06:36 PM

I also ran an Edge Platinum then switched to Innovative's SCT Extreme Street. EGTs definately go down with the SCT.

I had both an EGT gauge and the Edge's EGT display running off two different thermocouples located next to each other. At steady state, both read within the +/- 25 degrees that is expected. The Edge is faster to react during unsteady state because of the display. It takes a little time to move the gauge's needle, but no time to change the digital display....

It is taking me some time to get used to the "light switch" In my case, I like it because it makes it easy to get good mileage. The switch is a warning that you're gonna pay...

My mileage went up 1 mpg with the SCT compared to the Edge. This is hand calculated as the (dis)information center is usually way off. I have checked the mileage for several tanks commuting (43 miles one way). The mileage improvement is nice.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:43 AM

wow how are you guys pulling that kind of high temperatures! the most ive gotten my edge too was about 1250 max!
Ive got myself convinced that there is something wrong with my truck cuz it doesnt blow black smoke that i can see in my rearview mirror, it will not spin the tires from a standstill at all. towing seems about the same as my 02 5.3 siverado pickup 1/2 ton.
this is my first diesel. its a 2004 f250 harley 6.0. my mods are just the edje on the 5th setting with the fueling adjustment turned all the way up. and an airraid intake.

Any suggestions?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:44 AM

i test drove a buddies 05 6.0 with a banks chip on like the mild setting and it will spin the tires like crazy. and would pull 1500 degerees in a heartbeat.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:45 AM

oh.. i cant even reach over 1250 while towing either on the 5th setting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode