Trying out a DiabloSport Tuner!! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 06kma, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 741 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Trying out a DiabloSport Tuner!!

Hi there.

I am new to this forum and wanted to chime in.

I have a 2006 6.0, XLT 4x4, CC, long box. It is primarily a work truck (forestry/construction works) and spends a lot of time off pavement. I have been an owner of 7.3 litres since 1996 and have a lot of adjusting to do with this 6.0

First off, I have never had an auto transmission in 20 years (6 trucks before this) so this is also an adjustment.

I have approximately 13,500 km's (about 9000 miles) on the truck and seem to be always annoyed by the turbo lag and the shift patterns of the trans. I spoke to a local trans guru and he gave me a DiabloSport Predator Tuner to try out. It does add power and does change the shift patterns a bit but not enough for me to go out and buy it yet. I think I may be looking for a more custom tune.

Now, reading this forum, it appears the SCT is the way to go. I am interested in only doing any modifcations to get the truck to run closer to my expectations so the major power isn't my first issue. I would love to get rid of the turbo lag (or at least minimize it), change the shift patterns a bit (keep it in 3-4th longer for the 40 mph speeds), and if there is an increase in fuel economy along the way that would be great.

My typical towing needs are about 10% usage of the truck with tow loads being between 5000-8000 lbs on average.

Any how, before I go on more I would like to pre-thank anyone for some advise on tunners or whom to contact on a more personal basis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 08:52 PM

With the SCT you can have the engine and transmission tuned to your likeing.....many vendors have Christmas specials going on now....it's a good time to buy....You would do well to ditch the predator....
jschall
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Obviously Intuitive !

double post

02/12 f250 CC SB Lariat Ultimate 4x4
dpf filter back mbrp and airlift airbags

05/05 4x4 EB Excursion -gone but not forgotten SCT enabled 1/8th 8.9 seconds....
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Obviously Intuitive !

While I had a predator on my 03 Ex and had no problems in 40K miles before I traded....
the SCT WITH THE CORRECT PERSON TUNING IT ! really is the way to go...

locking the torque convertor in 3rd thru 5th helped my long 35mph run from the interstate to the house ...
(already tried out one of the $191 11 mph over citations and don't want another )

02/12 f250 CC SB Lariat Ultimate 4x4
dpf filter back mbrp and airlift airbags

05/05 4x4 EB Excursion -gone but not forgotten SCT enabled 1/8th 8.9 seconds....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, reading some more looks like the SCT is the preferred tunner. Now, not sure if this is out of the rules but whom would you recommend for me to contact about the specific tune's for my vehicle (ie the programmer doing it prior to me installing it)?

Your comment regarding locking in the tourque converter to maintain a longer pull in a certain gear sounds like what I am looking for. I travel steeper grades on forestry roads that are hell on the current shifting patterns in this truck.

Thanks.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:07 AM

Call Tadd at Elite diesel .,,,,they are out of Colorado and know how to tune for grades at speed...lol...grades and speed...or the first if you prefer..
jschall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode