Edge VS. SCT - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by imported_thnkfst, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1023 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Edge VS. SCT

I have an Edge with attitude, and Magna flow 4" no cat this combo seems to work fine. When its time for warranty work I pull it off the edge and no questions. I can monitor my exhaust temp and change on the fly. Why is this controller so bad? What am I missing? Not the power that an SCT can achieve?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19

Just depends on what you want your truck to do. If you pull a trailer and use your truck in a daily work situation the Edge is the unit to have in my honest opinion. If you what every last bit of performance out of the truck and want to use it more in a performance mode than a work mode the SCT would be the ticket.

This has been discussed many times and my answer is always the same, I use the Edge because I tow a fiver most of the time I use the truck, others use the SCT because they are more into whuppin up on mero's and stangs. In the final aynalisis the choice is yours, just gear your programmer towards the use of the truck.

The above is my opinion and does not reflect the position of anybody else. They all have varing ideas and opinions and non is more or less correct than the other.

I outta run for some kind of government position, huh.

LargeCar :mafia

LargeCar

Mafia # 19 The Dually Club # 19

If a country does not remember and honor its fallen heroes of the past, in the future that country will not be honored or remembered.

G.R. Wemmer

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 01:22 AM

The Edge has no trans control (except for the A2). More power without uping the pressure in the tranny will result in a burned up tranny. That's why everyone suggests the SCT. There have been many people who either racing or towing with an Edge have nuked their tranny's.

'04 F250 FX4, CC, SB, Zoodad, Innovative SCT XCal2, 4" MBRP, Airaid intake, 4" Superlift front with 5.5" Fabtech springs in back with stock 2" block delete, 18" predators with 35" Nitto's, Isspro gauges overhead. '00 27' Rinker Captiva Millinium, 454MPI Captains Call exhaust. '06 '33 Tahoe Transport. '03 Polaris Predator 500, K&N, WB pipe, '08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

The ONLY "tuner" that makes the proper (in engineering terms) changes to the PCM for all functions is one from SCT. All the other tuning solutions do some stuff, but not ALL the things you *should* to ensure long-term reliability of the engine and transmission.

That is not to say that SCT tunes are necessarily the "best" for a particular application, or that you cannot have a failure. It is to say that the programming will not (under normal circumstances) be the CAUSE of of a failure.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:03 AM

I burned up my trans with the Edge.

I work out of my truck every day, and I run an SCT X2 with ID tunes.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:46 AM

My tranny with the edge was slowly burning out, it shifts soooo soft for the power they make on 5. I loved how the power came on with the edge but i figured it wasnt worth it seeing how i would of had to replace the tranny soon. I thought i was going to hate not being able to change power levels on the fly, but really it only takes 5 mins to switch to a tow tune from a race. While you hook up your trailer the SCT can be uploading the new file. The only thing i miss of the edge is the Turbo Cool Down(witch my alarm does now), the digital gauges(got nexus now which are cool and go red when the EGT gets to hot or to much boost)....so really i dont miss anything about the edge......SCT for the win!!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPSD
My tranny with the edge was slowly burning out, it shifts soooo soft for the power they make on 5. I loved how the power came on with the edge but i figured it wasnt worth it seeing how i would of had to replace the tranny soon. I thought i was going to hate not being able to change power levels on the fly, but really it only takes 5 mins to switch to a tow tune from a race. While you hook up your trailer the SCT can be uploading the new file. The only thing i miss of the edge is the Turbo Cool Down(witch my alarm does now), the digital gauges(got nexus now which are cool and go red when the EGT gets to hot or to much boost)....so really i dont miss anything about the edge......SCT for the win!!!!

Big PSD where can i get those guages?

07.5 duramax
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigorgohome
Big PSD where can i get those guages?
anywhere really...theyre on ebay.... www.autometer.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode