Going to start upgrades soon... guidance please! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by bakantor, this thread has received 29 replies and been viewed 2249 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Talking Going to start upgrades soon... guidance please!

I was initially going to go with the SCT livewire but am not totally sold on it anymore (don't worry, I'm going SCT no matter what). My main concern is readability of the display in critical situations. An analog meter is easy... digital numbers on a screen can sometimes be a pain.

So, I'm looking for input. Do I:

1) Get the XCAL2 with a pyrometer, boost and maybe a fuel pressure gauge and gauge mount. This will add up to about $750 as far as I can tell.

2) Get the Livewire and the necessary thermalcouple for the pyrometer and sensor for fuel pressure. My understanding is boost is read through the access port (as well as other useful parameters). Cost is ?? (I'm guessing about the same or maybe a little more).

How many of you have fuel pressure gauges? I have read a few articles about the bad things that happen when fuel pressure drops. If I follow proper filter replacement intervals is this really needed? Are there any other gauges that are "must haves"?

I'm trying to stay under $1000. Are there any other things that would be worthwhile? I'm not looking for the fastest truck, just one that is faster than most :Thumbup: . I've seen intake elbows such as ID sells... are these worthwhile? What type of HP are they worth? I'm not ready for headstuds, Fluidamper, and probably not an exhaust. Likewise, I understand it's not worth messing with the stock intake too much.

I want to do it right out of the shoot, so please share your experience! Thanks for bearing with me and my long-winded post.:thanks:
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 12:59 PM

I think that you are on the right track. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Chris
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 01:40 PM

here is my list of gauges i would do.. pyro/boost/fuel/water/tranny.

tranny temp and water temp on the stock gauge are "too late" gauges real ones actually show you variances
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 02:10 PM

for guages i would do pyro boost and trans temp
i wouldn't worry about a fp guage until you change injectors/fuelsystem
i would do a exhaust when u do your other stuff
robert
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldiesels
for guages i would do pyro boost and trans temp
i wouldn't worry about a fp guage until you change injectors/fuelsystem
i would do a exhaust when u do your other stuff
robert

I agree with Robert. If you truck has a stock boost gauge, you could always skip the boost and go with a dual pod or a triple w/ the fuel. Depends on how far/fast you plan on taking the truck. :Thumbup:
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the responses!

Let's put it this way... the truck will never see a track. It's an Excursion, so there isn't a stock boost gauge and I checked everywhere... in the glove compartment, center console, under the front seats... :shrug:

So, get a trans temp gauge instead... ok :Thumbup: I didn't know the stock gauge was so inaccurate.

Anyone willing to touch the question about gauges vs the Livewire display? : I've got a grab handle on the drivers side A-pillar, so I'm probably looking at an under dash gauge pod.

:

Cheers!
Brad
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 04:51 PM

The only thing I have to say is that there has been studies conducted on the human eye, and it has been proven that the eye can follow a sweeping needle better than a digital readout.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Diesel Pro

SCT Xcal 2, Gauges, and Aluminized Silverline Exhaust, i saw where you can pick one up for 299$ with a tip, so 750+300=1050, there ya go!

2006 Dodge 2500 2wd QC SB 5.9 Cummins, 48RE Auto, 4" Exhaust, TS MPD W/HUD, Airaid Intake, 6k HIDs, GoGo Built Tranny, BDTD with Crazy Larry
13.85 @ 99 MPH
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Guys -

So, I was looking more at mounts for the gauges. The Isspro kits from diesel manor look intruiging. I was leaning toward the under-dash mount kit, but after pretending I had gauges there, it seemed like they would be hard to read. I hate to admit it, but it appears the A-pillar is the best spot.

Unfortunately, I don't want to loose the grab handle either. So, how much more work is it to put in the above-the-mirror mount? I assume the wires run under the ceiling piece? How much extra work is it to install above the mirror? This seems like it would allow easy readability.

Finally, I'm debating between LED gauges and classic bulbs. Anyone know what the T-5 and T-10 bulbs are rated at for hours? I'd hate to have to replace them alot.

Thanks.
Brad
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 01:39 PM

i'm with ya man...just haven't pulled the trigger...

I'm still kicking around the idea of the Livewire but that is a big unit ((6 3/4" x 3 3/4' x 1') and not sure where I would mount it...as for the Xcal2 and gauges - not sure where I want them mounted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode