EGR and SCT Tuner - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by BLEnt, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 1425 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

EGR and SCT Tuner

I keep reading about SCT turner can turner off egr, to keep exhaust from mixing with intake. Do you have to plug the right Y pipe? Does closing the egr valve heat up the egr cooler if pipe is still open?

I have no mods. 7700lbs truck is not a race toy for me. It a business rig. If I need exhaust pipe added for turner, I will think about it. As for air intake this has been open behind grill. Its hard to beat the stock ram induction. Also easier to clean and detail engine

I hoping for a way to keep the black crap out of intake. Also to put all back to stock if warranty work is needed? Is the SCT turner something kept in the truck or
like a flash, a down load and take out?

Thanks

BL

Black Lariat Loaded / 2006 F350/Auto/CC/SB/Chrome Pkg/ Ordered 5/06.
With most options. BGF-KO 325/60/20 on Jesse James 20"/ Harley Emblems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 05:46 PM

The SCT is a handheld programmer. It plugs in to the OBD II port to download files. When you are done, you unplug it and put it where ever you want. The garage, the house, the glove box etc.... As far as I know, the SCT is the only unit that will turn off the EGR. Some people have unplugged their EGR's, but that can throw a code depending on your truck. If you were to run an economy tune for mileage the factory exhaust is ok. For a high power or race file, you definately want the truck to breath a little more. I would also reccomend at least getting a pyrometer to be on the safe side.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 07:57 PM

I would get a pyro, egt, and trans temp gauges. The X Cal 2 can program the puter to turn the EGR off. With Innovative's Extreme Street tune I picked up over 1 mpg. Keith

U. S. Navy Seabee Veteran.

We build, we fight , we drink more beer.

When you are up to your butt in alligators it is heard to remember the reason you are here is to drain the darn swamp.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 01:36 AM

To tag on to the original question...

What exactly does turning the EGR off with the SCT do? Keep recycled exhaust out of intake? Keep hot exhaust out of cooler?

If hot exhaust still gets pushed into cooler, won't there still be the issue of 'flashing' the coolant?

Thanks for the info.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

EGR is used to REDUCE combustion temperatures, thereby limiting the production of NOx (a pollutant).

The way it works is by mixing 0%-20% of the total intake charge as exhaust. Exhaust contains no oxygen, so it will not support combustion.

The EGR cooler reduces the temperature of that 0%-20% of the exhaust that is routed into the intake stream from approximately 600*F to 250*F by passing coolant thru the cooler.

After the exhaust leaves the EGR cooler it travels to the EGR valve, this valve meters the exact amount of exhaust that gets into the intake stream. This varies by exhaust back pressure, intake pressure (actually the pressure differential between intake and exhaust manifolds), and the amount the EGR valve is open.

By keeping the EGR valve closed, ZERO exhaust flow travels thru the EGR cooler. While the EGR cooler is physically attached to the "y" pipe, and there will be some heat transfer, it is greatly reduced because no exhaust flow moves thru the cooler with the EGR valve closed. You cannot "push" exhaust out of a welded pipe any more than you can "push" it thru a closed EGR valve. Therefore, the heat load on the EGR cooler will be dramatically less than with a fully functioning EGR system.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:37 AM

Puking effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_G
EGR is used to REDUCE combustion temperatures, thereby limiting the production of NOx (a pollutant).

The way it works is by mixing 0%-20% of the total intake charge as exhaust. Exhaust contains no oxygen, so it will not support combustion.

The EGR cooler reduces the temperature of that 0%-20% of the exhaust that is routed into the intake stream from approximately 600*F to 250*F by passing coolant thru the cooler.

After the exhaust leaves the EGR cooler it travels to the EGR valve, this valve meters the exact amount of exhaust that gets into the intake stream. This varies by exhaust back pressure, intake pressure (actually the pressure differential between intake and exhaust manifolds), and the amount the EGR valve is open.

By keeping the EGR valve closed, ZERO exhaust flow travels thru the EGR cooler. While the EGR cooler is physically attached to the "y" pipe, and there will be some heat transfer, it is greatly reduced because no exhaust flow moves thru the cooler with the EGR valve closed. You cannot "push" exhaust out of a welded pipe any more than you can "push" it thru a closed EGR valve. Therefore, the heat load on the EGR cooler will be dramatically less than with a fully functioning EGR system.

How will this effect the chance of coolant puking? By the way can someone explain to me and/or recommend "firering" and "head bolts" to get. I want to make my 6.0 bullet proof!!:Thumbup:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 03:04 AM

If you dont have a puker are there any performance or milage gains to doing turning off the EGR?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode