SCT question - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by jennamax, this thread has received 18 replies and been viewed 1347 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

SCT question

Hi all,
Well I do my taxes Thursday,...so I will be ordering my SCT very soon!

You can see in my sig the description of my truck. About the only other thing I could add is that I have 3.73 gears. I have asked several questions on this forum about exhausts and intakes, gear changes, etc. and have learned much. As a newbie diesel guy I am thankful for everyones input. :thanks:

I use my truck for two main purposes, 1) around town driving and 2) towing a 5th wheel toy hauler at about 14k lbs. (I actually just ordered the toy hauler and should get it in 4-8 weeks) I do not race my truck, and have no intention of doing so. I will be getting the SCT with an economy tune and a mild tow tune. One of the primary reasons for my getting the SCT is to readjust for my larger tire diameter, and get crisper gear changes, in addition to the obvious performance benefits. So that being said,...here is my question. Do I need to upgrade my stock exhaust, or is the stocker sufficient to handle the tunes I will be adding. I understand that a 4-in SS exhaust will lower EGT's, but is this really necessary with my load? I guess I am confused because the truck is rated to haul a 15k 5ver stock (At least according to the owner's manual). Therefore, I am assuming that the stock exhaust is sufficient to handle any load under 15k,.......so besides from the great sound, why should I upgrade?

I have a feeling you all are going totell me to get the 4-in turbo-back exhaust and a set of gauges to go along with the SCT,...but I have to ask anyway

2004 F350 Crew Cab 4X4 6.0 PSD
Lariat, Leather, Sunroof
4 1/2 inch Pro Comp lift
35X12.5X18 Pro Comp Extreme All Terrains
1000 Watt Sound System:Thumbup:
MBRP 4-in turbo back w/cat delete
SCT XCal-2 tuned by Innovative Diesel
Intake Elbow
Autometer Z-Series-pyro, tranny, boost on A-pillar
Zoodad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 11:05 PM

it is my understanding that anytime you add more fuel such as from an SCT you are aslo raising your EGTs, there for the 4 inch exhaust will help get rid of that heat quicker due to less backpressure.

'04 6.0, 4.5" lift, straight piped, SCT tunes by Innovative Diesel, studded, coolant filter, EGR delete Tru track in the rear, sounds by JL audio some other odds and ends
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 11:10 PM
I Bleed BLUE!

I don't have much opinion on the exhaust. I had 4" on mine for my first mod. I would however, atleast put a pyro in your truck. I have never towed over 12K and stock I could hit 1150 EGT. I know with my SCT I can push it way past if I don't back off. It is also a lot cheaper and easier to put a pyro in it then having to replace the turbo or engine.
:2cents

A few Fords
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 11:25 PM
off to another home

Thanked 1,365 Times in 1,112 Posts
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SSpeeDEMONSS
if you have an auto definately get an aftermarket trans temp guage and a pyro.

Garrett

BRING BACK THE OLD TDG!
oh well, i have a map to the darkside

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 11:30 PM
TDG Mafia Member#67

IMHO....i would get a mild street tune instead of the economy. more power and everyone ive ever talked to gets better mpg on a street file than an economy file (as long as you drive like you got some sense...not like me!)
also, towing it is always a good idea to monitor your egts, boost, and even trans temp. oil temp is also a decent idea. and an aftermarket exhaust is beneficial to even a stock tuned truck. and really if you dont mind it being a little loud at like 2500 rpms + just cutting the cat and muffler off and get your local muffler shop to put in a peice of 4" will aid in lower egts. along wtih a 5" stainless tip for around $150 or so.
hope this helps!
Darin

1st murdered out 2011 F250 CC SB Fx4 lariat
2008 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat dark stone, s&b intake, 5" flo pro straight pipe, 7" flo pro tip, sct livewire custom tuned by Eric @ IDP
Previous Rides:
2003 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat centinneal black on black modded up
2001 F250 CC LB 4x4 xlt maroon lifted up
1997 F150 EC SB 4x2 xlt red
http://www.youtube.com/user/6Lstrokin
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the advice Strokin. I will talk to ID about a mild street tune instead of an economy tune.

Approximately how much do you think it would cost to have someone install a three gauge cluster of pyro, trans, and boost? I only have so much to spend, so I'm trying to make it go as far as possible. I don't have the knowledge to do it myself unfortunately. I can do basic maintenance stuff, but don't have a clue about this type of work.

I am probably going to buy the package deal from ID that includes a 409 SS turbo back and the SCT w/3 tunes for $845.00 I will probably add the cat-delete for an additional $50.00 as well. Gauges and A-pillar pod will add about another $300 or so, but then I still have to have the gauges and exhaust installed. I'm trying to get a realistic estimate of what all this will cost me!!!!!

Lariat, Leather, Sunroof
4 1/2 inch Pro Comp lift
Intake Elbow
Zoodad
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 01:31 AM

ok...here is my advice...get a quote from someone on installing the gauges (post the quote here) and then get more opinions...i just installed over head guages and have never done this before - I wasn't real confident but there are some darn good instructions with great pictures out here so I decided to go for it. I did get the power elbow a week prior so the boost gauge required no tapping or drilling and the pyro was pretty easy to tap and install (just take your time) and the tranny gauge was also very easy. I got my gauges from dfuser.com and he offers a guage pod pre-wired for a little more $ but I pre-wired mine sitting at the kitchen table one night and then installed the guages the next day - wiring it all together just takes time a patience but it is very do-able cause if I can do it then I think almost anyone could. And you could use the $ you save having someone else install it and get the power elbow (which is supposed to lower EGTs but I have no evidence that it truely does)....
just my $.02
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 02:45 AM

JM, What everybody else said above sounds good...

I have one comment...you said in your original post that one of the reasons you are getting the SCT is to adjust for your Larger tires. The SCT WILL NOT correct your speedo for your larger tires. The rev/mile setting on the SCT adjusts the trans so it shifts at the correct RPM/speed for your tire size, but your speedo will still be off....

2006 F250 CC SB 4x4
4.5 Icon 4-Link, TEI Spacers, and 5 Inch rear Springs.
Farmboy Fabrication Traction Bars.
SCT XCalII tuned by GoGoDiesel, DJ's, and Spartan...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Loki,
Yeah, I understand that. I just want to get back to the proper shift points. I've been going back and forth between doing the SCT and exhaust, or changing my gears to 4.10 or 4.33's. I am leaning toward the SCT and exhaust with gauges,...but can't help thinking that leaving everthing stock and just doing a gear change might actually be the best way to go...............

Lariat, Leather, Sunroof
4 1/2 inch Pro Comp lift
Intake Elbow
Zoodad
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 02:39 PM
TDG Mafia Member#67

i agree with tdmr....get the gauges and look over them...it sounds like a lot, but its really not that bad! i did my own and the longest part is running all the wires neatly. hardest part is the egt. drill slowly, use grease and when you tap the hole, down bottom the tap out because the probe will not tighten. also, use grease on the tap, go in a little and out a little at a time to clean the shavings out of the threads.
and if you buy all that from eric he will prolly knock off a couple dollars for spending so much.
AND you always know if you have any questions, etc. you got us at TDG to help out and answer your questions! if it'll help ill do a how to on installing gauges if it hasnt already been done. good luck!

1st murdered out 2011 F250 CC SB Fx4 lariat
2008 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat dark stone, s&b intake, 5" flo pro straight pipe, 7" flo pro tip, sct livewire custom tuned by Eric @ IDP
Previous Rides:
2003 F250 CC SB 4x4 lariat centinneal black on black modded up
2001 F250 CC LB 4x4 xlt maroon lifted up
1997 F150 EC SB 4x2 xlt red
http://www.youtube.com/user/6Lstrokin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode