Switching from Quadzilla to SCT - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by james007calif, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 1088 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Switching from Quadzilla to SCT

Hey guys, I have been running the Quadzilla 160 for almost 2 years now. I have to say it does put out some serious power and it runs good after it's tuned on a certain level, but I have never been very happy with it. Every time I switch from one level to the next, its like the computer has to teach the tranny when to shift all over again. I'm fed up with the tranny feeling like it is slipping, the motor reving up between shifts, the hard jerking shifts, and the tranny actually slipping when in reverse. After reading, for the last year, all of the good reports about SCT, I think I am ready to switch.

I do have a couple of questions though, After loading a tune, does the tranny act all screwy for a while or is everything programmed to work just as soon as it is loaded? How long does it take to switch from one tune to another if I had to tow something? Does the new version with the digital readout store the tunes and allow you to switch from one tune to another, simply by pushing some buttons or do you still have to plug in the programmer. What does each tune cost? It is hard for me to justify spending this money, but I just can't deal with this quad anymore. Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 06:31 AM

I switched to SCT from a Banks system and the diference is like night and day. Be sure to get a good custom tune from a SCT dealer. I have custom tunes from Elite Diesel and i am very happy with it. As far as changing tunes it only takes a few minutes and the tranny will shift like a dream with the SCT. The reason I changed from the Banks was the tranny would never shift right but no problems now. I have a regular cab F250 4x4 that runs 8.54 in the 1/8 mile at 77 mph with the Insane file from Elite Diesel. That equals about a 13.50 1/4 mile. I am very happy with the SCT tuner.:Thumbup:

2006 F-350 regular cab, Stage 3 Elite injectors, VGT-SS Elite turbo, Stage 1 Elite fuel system, 5" magnaflow t/b, AFE stage 2 intake, Accufab power elbow, Spearco intercooler,NOS with help from DJ(he's the man), Suncoast tranny, Caltracs and SCT insanity tune from Elite, Autometer guages, best 1/8 mile 7.09 @ 98 on the bottle, 1/4 mile to date 11.51 @ 117mph. Best 60' is1.53. 790 rwhp and 1286 torque on Dunbar's dyno 2-2-08 at Suncoast.:nitrous:
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 12:58 PM

just want to say i had a quadzillaa 160 and had it recalibrated and it still shifted the same way your describing and got fed up and out it came.. i went to a sct and it only takes a few minutes to install the program and what a difference night and day... the trans will learn the shifting of the new program and not a big deal a couple of shifts through the tranny and your good..do your self a favor get the sct. you wont be let down....
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 01:13 PM

Go with the SCT, and yes after you reprogram the truck the Trans does have to do a little learning, but since the SCT adjusts the trans also, it has to learn much less, and has been adjusted for the power output.

The LiveWire is not shift on the fly, but it stays plugged in all the time, so it does make it a little quicker, but you still have to turn the truck off and do the whole reprogram thing.

You will not regret going to the SCT!!!!

2006 F250 CC SB 4x4
4.5 Icon 4-Link, TEI Spacers, and 5 Inch rear Springs.
Farmboy Fabrication Traction Bars.
SCT XCalII tuned by GoGoDiesel, DJ's, and Spartan...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 12:01 AM
keepin faith in the 6.0L!

I waited a LONG time and did a LOT of research before buying the SCT Xcal2 and all I can say is WOW!!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Does the live wire plug into the same port as the Xcal2?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 05:15 AM
TDG Mafia Member #64!

Send a message via Yahoo to Hybrid_4x4_Superduty
I waited too long to take the quadzilla out of my truck. Ate the stock tranny after about 15Kmiles and ate the rebuild after 7Kmiles:splat

-ADAM-

2008 Ford F-350 King Ranch, 4x4, 6.4L, Powerstroke Diesel, Torqueshift, Spartan Tuned, 4in FloPro Straight Duals, Afe Stg 2 Intake, Chromed & Tinted out!!! 115k Miles!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 05:30 AM

I keep seeing you say this but, I am pretty sure this was with a module that they do not even sell anymore.

I don't know anyone that has eaten a tranny with the new stuff they have been selling for the last couple of years.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Pursuit Interceptor

I have been running a Quad 160 and using the SCT to program the tranny. I wanted the adjustability of the Quad and tunability of the SCT. So I got both.
I'd suggest you keep the Quad, buy the SCT and get the tuner to work a tranny tune for you. I love the power of both the Quad and SCT. The Quad doesn't come on as hard but is there when I need it. The SCT sometimes is too much at once but will do the job quite well. I really hate the cold start running of the SCT, I can barely push the pedal without it feeling like I'm trying to drag race.
Since you have an 04 truck tuners should have your PCM code worked over pretty good and the truck will be totally different than before.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 04:30 PM
TDG Mafia Member #64!

Send a message via Yahoo to Hybrid_4x4_Superduty
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft
I keep seeing you say this but, I am pretty sure this was with a module that they do not even sell anymore.

I don't know anyone that has eaten a tranny with the new stuff they have been selling for the last couple of years.
The quad was a 2005 120hp 4position chip it had a ton of power i will give it that but they shift like crap.

-ADAM-

2008 Ford F-350 King Ranch, 4x4, 6.4L, Powerstroke Diesel, Torqueshift, Spartan Tuned, 4in FloPro Straight Duals, Afe Stg 2 Intake, Chromed & Tinted out!!! 115k Miles!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode