Tuning ? regarding MAP & EBP sensors - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 2006.1f250, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 1958 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Tuning ? regarding MAP & EBP sensors

How much input do these sensors have in the tune? Looks like the MAP sensor peaks at 43.46 psi absolute. The EBP sensor was peaking at 53 psi absolute. The barometric sensor was reading 14.43 psi when I was data logging. Curious if these diesels need a MAP sensor that will read higher boost, like the gassers do when you up boost pressure? I'm not asking for any tuning secrets, just want to know if they play a part in tuning.

TIA Donnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I guess no one has any input on this. From what I could gather, looks like my MAP needs to be upgraded to read 60lbs of boost correctly.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 12:54 AM
I Wanna Go Fast!

you have to play with the graphs while tuning no need to upgrade anything. IM running all stock sensors

Just another 6leaker Thanks to RCD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzVhcfZN3jw
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006.1f250 View Post
I guess no one has any input on this. From what I could gather, looks like my MAP needs to be upgraded to read 60lbs of boost correctly.
There's no such thing as upgrading the MAP sensor. It is what it is.

2004 F-350 XLT SC 4x4: SCT, AFE stage II, autometer gauges(pyro, boost, tranny, fuel), edge insight, CFM large mouth intake elbow, spearco, snow performance water injection, 5" stacks, ARP's, fluidampr, hypermax fire rings, LIPD regulated return, FASS, fuelab, casserly 190's, 64/71/70 turbo(polished compressor housing)modded FICM(ID), Hellmann's sump, electirc fans
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 03:37 PM
********* and Mafia #90

Thanked 1,333 Times in 985 Posts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bcarriveau Send a message via Yahoo to Bcarriveau
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006.1f250 View Post
I take if you have tuning software.?! If so i know one guy that will probably help you out in their field. Pm, Bill With Defuser. he might be able to answer this for you but as others have said their is no need to upgrade nor do they make one. Thats the goodness of the sct.

Bill Carriveau OFFICIAL POO HAULER

ARP studs, sct, Leveling kit,Airdog set at 62psi with no factory pump, leveling kit,5" stacks, under cab lights, Large in the way Fan shroud Removed, bed Lights being Re-did. Large Alternator(250amps)(130 amps was so 2003). On 3rd set of Hgs(soon to be 4th), 2nd set of heads, 2nd tubro, egr cooler, FICM and more. When i Turn the Key it does return a Favor, not always in MY Favor.
Da Rules..Here
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1249694332
Windows 7 Takes the WIN!
Windows 8 might take that Win
http://www.bcarriveau.com/
Dear Tequila:
We had a deal. You were supposed to make me sexier, smarter and a better dancer. But I saw the video. And I think we need to talk..

How you name your Thread is Important. Read Here

The TDG TOTQ

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 07:49 PM

The MAF is only used for EGR operation and for the air intlet temp portion onf the sensor. It's not used like a MAF sensor in a forced induction gas vehicle. Actually some early 05 trucks had no MAF sensor. The air/fuel is controlled differently than the gas applications. The MAF Xfer function is scaled for injector upgrades and even for high power tunes, but it's for idle and part throttle drivability when the EGR operation is changed.

The map sensor can be pegged, just like a gasser application. The difference is, boost isn't controlled completely by the MAP. It is used for part throttle and drivability also, so it is used for tuning.

The EBP sensor is what's used to control the vanes on the VVT turbo. It's important to read correctly. However, most trucks that have been reflashed in the past couple years no longer use the EBP sensor. The EBP is inferred from other tables. Basically, it's calculated by a few different parameters.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InnovativeDiesel For this addition to TDG:
Bcarriveau (07-29-2009), strokin6L (07-29-2009)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentos View Post
you have to play with the graphs while tuning no need to upgrade anything. IM running all stock sensors
Tuning around things is not always the best way. The more accurate info the PCM recieves, the better the tune will be. Thats the reason for the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin6L View Post
There's no such thing as upgrading the MAP sensor. It is what it is.
Is this in general, or just for diesels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarriveau View Post
I take if you have tuning software.?! If so i know one guy that will probably help you out in their field. Pm, Bill With Defuser. he might be able to answer this for you but as others have said their is no need to upgrade nor do they make one. Thats the goodness of the sct.
I have tuning software for my gassers, not the diesel yet. You are correct, haven't found a MAP rated high enough. What I have found are pressure transducers that could be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeDiesel View Post
The MAF is only used for EGR operation and for the air intlet temp portion onf the sensor. It's not used like a MAF sensor in a forced induction gas vehicle. Actually some early 05 trucks had no MAF sensor. The air/fuel is controlled differently than the gas applications. The MAF Xfer function is scaled for injector upgrades and even for high power tunes, but it's for idle and part throttle drivability when the EGR operation is changed.

The map sensor can be pegged, just like a gasser application. The difference is, boost isn't controlled completely by the MAP. It is used for part throttle and drivability also, so it is used for tuning.

The EBP sensor is what's used to control the vanes on the VVT turbo. It's important to read correctly. However, most trucks that have been reflashed in the past couple years no longer use the EBP sensor. The EBP is inferred from other tables. Basically, it's calculated by a few different parameters.
Thanks Eric, thats what I was looking for. My main concern was fueling. If these sensors have no input on fueling past part throttle, then I'll agree about not needing to upgrade. I have no VVT or EGR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode