New to Forum and owning a Diesel! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Conair, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 970 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
New to Forum and owning a Diesel!

I have a 04 F-250. My wife bought the truck while I was deployed at a local dealership. I don't think anything has been done to the truck other than a lift kit, rims, and tires. I've heard all the bad things and good things about this engine. I've have ordered an Edge Evolution Programmer and am hoping that it is a good programmer. I'm not really looking to build a lot of HP, looking more at improving the mpg. I'm currently getting around 14mpg. It may be better or worse though. I don't think that the speedo is set for the tire size. My GPS tells me that I'm going 66 when the speedo says 60. The parts manager at a local dealership told me not to use aftermarket air filters because it won't work as well as the factory at stopping dirt and could cause turbo problems. Just hoping someone could give me some help with the advise I've been given so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 12:23 PM

I don't know anything about the Evolution, though I'm sure someone here might. Most of us use SCT with stock or custom tunes. I prefer SCT as it accounts for the transmission as much as the engine. Just my thoughts, Chris

I'm a little more country than that...

2011 F-350 Extended Cab Short Box Lariat

SOLD
2004 F350 Regular Cab Long Box XLT; FX4, 6.0L and TorqShift; Manual Transfer Case and Hubs; Dark Shadow Grey Metallic; Keyless Entry; Factory Idle Control; 8 1/2' Fisher MMII; Factory 18" Wheels painted black with 305/70R18 Mickey Thompson ATZ's in the summer and XL Steel Wheels painted Black with 285/75R16 ProComp A/T's in the Winter; Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Kit; Isspro Pyrometer, Boost, and Transmission Temperature Gauges in an Overhead Pod; SCT by Innovative Diesel; Innovative Moderate FICM Tune; ARP Head Studs; '03 Turbo screaming through a 4" Turbo Back 409 MBRP System with both Deletes and 6" Tip.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 01:59 PM

Garage
Excellent choice on truck man. I hear that the evolution fries transmissions because it adds power but doesnt change trans settings to handle the power. Most here run SCT because they are the 6.0 leaders and they can be custom tuned for your truck along with boosting your trans fluid flow and harder shifts to handle all the extra power. SCT tunes for your tire and gear changes also along with many other things like using your turbo as a jake brake so to speak and just so many things that your 6.0l has to offer.

2004 F-350 CC LB King Ranch. Under the Hood SCT w/Innovative street tunes by Eric, Hot FICM tuned by Power Hungary, custom built 4" intake with huge afe filter, Intake elbow, 3"down pipe to 5" straight piped stack, EGR block off, Zoodad Mod, CCV mod, Complete EGR delete, The Big 3 cable upgrade w/ batts under cab, Autometer pillar guages, Boost, Trans, EGT. APR studs sitting in box ready for install
Suspension 2.5inch leveling kit. Stock King Ranch 18" rims with 33inch Nitto A/T.
Truck is now pushing 134K miles an running strong.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 04:32 PM

Regarding your Air Filter question, the STOCK filter is your best bet unless you are making over 500 hp. It holds tons of dirt. There are mods you can make to increase airflow to the stock airbox as well, i.e. Zoodad Mod.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Thanks for the advice. I have looked at several different forums and this one has been the most beneficial by far. I have a lot of upgrades that I want to do to it, just want to make sure that I make the right choices so I don't mess up my truck.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 05:58 PM
off to another home

Thanked 1,365 Times in 1,112 Posts
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SSpeeDEMONSS
gauges! since the evolution will do that for you you have that part pretty well taken care of. i also ALWAYS recommend getting a fuel pressure gauge no matter what. low fuel pressure kills injectors. it could be because of clogged filters or it could be a weak or going out FICM. stock air filter works just fine. id recommmend a CCV reroute to get the oil out of the CAC tubes, intercooler and intake. a good 3.5" DP to 4" exhaust will help. as for tuner, well, SCT is THE way to go. if you are not going to be running the truck real hard the evolution should be alright. a coolant filter is a good thing to add as well. hmm... im probably forgetting some things but that should get you going pretty damn well.

Garrett

BRING BACK THE OLD TDG!
oh well, i have a map to the darkside

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 06:20 PM
TDG Mafia Goon

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BombDocDiesel
Welcome to the forum. Request an OASIS on here to see where your truck stood when it became part of the family, if you have not done so already. This can tell you if it's already been in for numerous EGR or other problems. Edge works fine. If you want to get rid of the EGR and save yourself a lot of headache, do it soon. Byrd's truck had 62K on it and had already been through two EGR coolers and a couple turbo shafts. I'm not sure if the '04 is better or worse, but worth looking into. https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...ad.php?t=84845

Garrett also has a DIY EGR cooler delete thread on here.

-Josh-
"SLICK" 2008 Chevrolet 2500HD LT 4X4 Z71 CC/SB D/A Silver Birch Metallic

My Gassers
1956 Clipper Deluxe project, and 1999 Subaru Legacy "beateroo"

Are you thinking about a Duramax? You need Duramax Info! The Duramax Index

TDG MAFIA!! MAFIA Application
American Club #38
B.O.M.B. Squad #55
Singles Club #248

Army Bomb Squad!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
I'm new to a lot of this stuff so there are a lot of things that I'm not familiar with. Like the coolant filter and CCV reroute. I looked on a parts website and nothing came up for a coolant filter. If you could give me a little more information on these two things it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
What is an OASIS?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 06:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conair View Post
I'm new to a lot of this stuff so there are a lot of things that I'm not familiar with. Like the coolant filter and CCV reroute. I looked on a parts website and nothing came up for a coolant filter. If you could give me a little more information on these two things it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
look in the vendor link on top of the screen and look int dfuser they have the filter kit thier are also DIY kits that you can scroung around for parts to save a couple of bucks.
the CCV mod you will find in the ford modificaion thread,

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ,QT,GH,ID,Gyphon FICM tuner,head studs,II Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,AD2,4" turbo back straight pipe,K&N intake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Thanks to:JASONS REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE-TELFORD,PA.

"Are diesel pickups hot rods? Yes,they are-perhaps the most versatile hot rods ever made"---Diesel Power Magazine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode