Warranty is up - time to tune! (again) - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Brute4orce, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 488 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Warranty is up - time to tune! (again)

OK, warranty is up, so, no more worrying about it. Had the Banks 6-gun on it about 5 years ago but had nothing but problems and dealer warnings, so, I took it off after about 2 months. Damn waste of money there! I'm convinced SCT (Livewire or X3??) is the way to go now. Not looking to race or anything, just want to have fun once in awhile, but, not have to worry about blowing something up! Couple times a year I lug around a 10' Arctic Fox camper with a 20' ski boat behind it. It's an '04 F350 auto trans. w/4" Rancho lift on 35" tires and a Banks 4" turbo-back exhaust (w/stock cats). Also have the coolant filter on it. Stock air intake. No other mods.

1. Should I go with an aftermarket air intake? I've heard the stock intake is OK??
2. Looks like SCT will monitor EGT's but you need a pyrometer?? Suggested solution?
3. Does the SCT mount somewhere, or is it just a handheld? I'd like to use it as my gauges, or, do I need to bite the bullet and just get some gauges? If I do still need the gauges, shouldn't I just go with the X3 to save some $$?
4. I want the truck to be reliable, so, what else do I need to do considering I'll be running the SCT?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 06:22 PM

I would go with an SCT X3 with a tuner or your choice. I personally like the look of gauges in the A pillar so thats what I have to monitor trans, fuel, boost and exhaust egts.

Anytime you are looking to tow I would recommend returning it to stock but a mild tune would probably be fine.

The CAI is not really necessary as the stocker does a fine job with just the SCT.

When you upgrade there is always a chance to hurt reliability so really its pay to play. The headgaskets are an ongoing issue with these trucks stock or modified so you have to take a chance. I tore my truck apart last year for headgaskets and studs but there are others modified with no issues.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 01:30 AM

Garage
if you can stand the look and set up of the livewire, that would be one of the best ways to go 'price wise' for custom SCT tuning and gauges. i personally like the x3 and my autometer gauges on the pillar. also the new touch screen SCT is really cool.

2005 6.0L F350 Lariat CCLB FX4
*Industrial Injection Hybrid Turbo*90hp DDP Injectors*SCTX3 Custom Innovative/Spartan*ARP Studs/Stocks Head Gaskets*Banks Techni-Cooler*FASS*AFE Intake*4" MBRP Exhaust*AutoMeter PhantomII Boost/Pyro/Trans Gauges*2.5" ICON Suspension*35" Xtreme AT's*18"KMC Monsters*Power Slotted Rotters w/ Ceramic Brake Pads*Pioneer AVIC N3-Nav,Rear View Cam,iPod,Voice Activation*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode