need help... advice about possible problem? Tuning or truck? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by chief34, this thread has received 34 replies and been viewed 2674 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
need help... advice about possible problem? Tuning or truck?

Well, I got a livewire for my '03 F250 2wd extended cab short bed.

-First I tried the 130hp spartan free tune. and it ran bad....
-Then I tried the 150 Hp canned SCT tune... It runs better BUT its still not right.

It seems to be running pretty good and it is definately running hard, BUT under WOT acceleration It studders a bit... like its starving for fuel. I installed a Brand new Air filter and fuel filter, had the oil and tranny fluid changed by the dealer. This is not a shifting problem.... it shifts nice when it is supposed to. It seems to be a fuel problem. Anyone have any ideas or ever experienced this? It seems to run perfect while stock. I thought about purchasing a couple of tunes from innovative, but I am worried it wont solve this... ???

2008 F-450 6.4L Lariat. 2WD. 6 spd Manual Trans. 4.30 LS. Blue pearl with Stone (grey) Leather
- Short throw shifter & MBRP 4" Stainless Exhaust
2003 F250 Supercab SB 6.0 2WD Auto w/3.73LS Silver w/grey leather 22" Boze Fatal 8 rims w/305X45R22 Nitto Tires. Sct livewire w/Innovative Extreme race...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:26 AM

Garage
weak HFCM, the tune is demanding more fuel than the pump can handle. put a fuel pressure gauge on your truck. PSI is to be atleast 45 psi.

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ,QT,GH,ID,Gyphon FICM tuner,head studs,II Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,AD2,4" turbo back straight pipe,K&N intake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Thanks to:JASONS REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE-TELFORD,PA.

"Are diesel pickups hot rods? Yes,they are-perhaps the most versatile hot rods ever made"---Diesel Power Magazine
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
can it be cleaned? I bet a new one isnt cheap is it...

2008 F-450 6.4L Lariat. 2WD. 6 spd Manual Trans. 4.30 LS. Blue pearl with Stone (grey) Leather
2003 F250 Supercab SB 6.0 2WD Auto w/3.73LS Silver w/grey leather 22" Boze Fatal 8 rims w/305X45R22 Nitto Tires. Sct livewire w/Innovative Extreme race...
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 11:56 AM

I tried those free tunes and mine ran like crap. Changed back to canned tunes, better but not 100%. Called Eric from Innovative, got custom tunes and she runs great now.

05' F-250, Harley Davidson #2993, True Blue
SCT X2 programmer (innovative tuned), MBRP 4in turbo back SS Cool Duals, Gutted Cat, S&B cold air intake, 2" front 1" rear lift, 325x60x20 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Stock Harley 20" rims, Line X, 20% tint all around, Alpine Linear Sub system, 4k Sylvania Silver Star lights, Zoo Dad mod, line of fire by Recon, ARP head studs, RCD EGR delete, new heads, new Turbo, dual bilstein steering stabilizers, bilstein 5100 shocks all 4 corners, truxedo bed cover, Amsoil. U.S.C.G
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Let's Drill!!!

Garage
Never ran any canned tunes. Everyone said they are hit and miss. So I just got a hold of Eric at Innovative and he hooked me up. Have guys all the time ask me what I have done to it. Runs like a champ.

2007 F250 FX4 Outlaw Edition
4.5 Tuff Country lift and 35" SS M-16's
4" Turbo Back
AFE STG 2
Coolant Filter
SCT X3 Tuned by Innovative.
6" Black Chrome Aussies and custom stack cover fabbed. One clean install by Powerstroke Magic!!!
ARP Head Studs, EGR plugged.
FabTech Ladder Bars
Auto Meter Cobalt(Fuel, Boost, Pyro, Trans)
Train Horns
Thanks to Powerstroke Magic for the great service and top notch work!!

TEXAS CLUB #6
AMERICAN CLUB #45
RIDIN' DIRTY #61
B.O.M.B. #77
SINGLES CLUB #219
"Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas"
"Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"
United States Marines
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 01:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief34 View Post
HFCM= Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module---This is your fuel pump that is mounted under the driver, on the frame rail. There are 2 fuel filters to change, In your original post, you said you changed the fuel FILTER. One filter is up on the motor and the other is in the HFCM.

You will never know if it is your pump unless you check the psi. If your gonna be running at WOT or just beat on it once in a while, think about how your starving the injectors and the cost of replacing those injectors.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 06:37 PM
SLAPS President

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief34 View Post
No, a new HFCM is not cheap... However, you don't have to change the whole unit, you can change just the pump itself.

2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155's from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); Di-Pricol gauges; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7;Tunes by Tony Wildman & IDP; B&W hitch; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT radio; JL Audio 275w amp w/ 12" sub; Alpine door and rear seat speakers. pics
Dually club member #76

SLAPS President and Webmaster

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. - quote by Samuel Adams

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Slow 6.0

here just the pump is more expensive then buying the whole complete hfcm, go figure.

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
ARP Studs, Blocked EGR Cooler, MBRP 304SS Cool Duals, 03 Turbo, Coolant Filter Kit, PCM Flashed Back & Innovative Extreme Tunes - 13.3 @ 99
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh View Post
HFCM= Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module---This is your fuel pump that is mounted under the driver, on the frame rail. There are 2 fuel filters to change, In your original post, you said you changed the fuel FILTER. One filter is up on the motor and the other is in the HFCM.

You will never know if it is your pump unless you check the psi. If your gonna be running at WOT or just beat on it once in a while, think about how your starving the injectors and the cost of replacing those injectors.
Heh.... I knew someone would notice that. I did type "filter" but I changed both filters.....

I dont really feel like spending a bunch of money on a fuel gauge... Actually I cant really afford to right now, lol. Anyway, I guess when I get some time, I'll pull the HFCM apart and clean it real well. Maybe there is some crap in there causing issues. I do want to get some innovative tunes anyway, so I'll try to do that soon as well. That will rull out the tuning.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 02:25 AM
SLAPS President

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SICKS-O View Post
here just the pump is more expensive then buying the whole complete hfcm, go figure.

Well, if you take one apart, you will see that aside from a couple of sensors and a tiny thermostat, the pump is really all there is to one.

There is a guy on ebay selling brand new pumps for $199 a piece. I doubt you are gonna get a new HFCM for that price.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief34
I guess when I get some time, I'll pull the HFCM apart and clean it real well. Maybe there is some crap in there causing issues.
If you are going to pull it apart, you will need a new gasket for the manifold on the front. Again, aside from the pump, there isn't really much to go wrong inside one. Occasionally, there is some build up around the WIF sensor but that would have shown you it was a problem via a WIF light.

I know you said money is tight and I can certainly understand that but honestly, the money for a fuel pressure gauge is about the cost of 1 injector so it's chump change compared to the cost of replacing all 8 (which is a very real possibility if you run them with low fuel pressure)..... I would consider investing in one, especially if you are going to run tunes that have 100+hp in them.....

2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155's from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); Di-Pricol gauges; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7;Tunes by Tony Wildman & IDP; B&W hitch; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT radio; JL Audio 275w amp w/ 12" sub; Alpine door and rear seat speakers. pics
Dually club member #76

SLAPS President and Webmaster

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. - quote by Samuel Adams

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode