My New SRL Tune - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by jayman69, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 3362 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

My New SRL Tune

I am a 6.0 (tuning) newbie but here goes my review so far

I owned a 7.3l prior to my 6.0 I have had the 6.0 for almost 2 years because the tranny on the 7.3l let me down.

The 7.3l had
Wicked Wheel
Donaldson Air Filter no air box
Turbo Back MRP 4" exhaust
DP Tuner F5

I installed all of the above so I know the progress of the adders. When I put the tuner on (last adder only after isspro guages!!!) on the highest setting I still had to power brake to get it to spin the tires. It had more power noticeably but nothing like "Holy Crap" I was impressed but not overly impressed. I burned the tranny up (even though the F5 tuned the tranny) hauling a 17,000lb fifth wheel (on the tow setting) while in GA. Unfortunately the truck did not leave me stranded just slipped like crazy back to FL (fortunately I was going downhill for 600 miles ) and would rev crazy until the tranny finally hit. I got the truck home cleaned it up and took it to the nearest ford dealer and traded it in (fortunately they did not test drive it, just started it up in the parking lot) for my current tow rig

Now to the point

Last night I finally installed a xcal2 on my 6.0. This vehicle has never seen a tuner in it's life. It was 42* outside so I let the truck idle for about 10 minutes then drove it like a granny for 7 miles. I turned around to head back home (12:30am) and I pulled to a complete stop. Hit the pedal about half way (maybe a bit more) and the truck stayed in one spot and ust spun the tires for about 3 seconds then took off SIDEWAYS!!! I could not believe what was happening as this never happened on my tuned 7.3l.

I did a 0-60mph run and this is the results
stock my best 0-60 time was 7.69, srl just giving it the pedal, 0-60 was 6.49 It may get better as I only did it one time and the tires spun way too long.

I drove it today as this is my daily driver.

Today was mostly highway

Going 70mph I hit the pedal a little harder and I saw 90mph within a few quick seconds....it got there quick!!! I did see a small puff of black smoke when I did this.

On the city streets getting on to it a little hard from a stop I would see a large puff of smoke but then it cleared up very quickly. I did notice that once in a while it would shift a little weird but I think it still needs to learn the new trans tune???

The injectors are noticeably louder (ticking) and I now have the turbo studder (fart??) sound from the air filter...I did not have either of these sounds prior to the tune. I know they are both expected and not a worry.

The egts going down the highway at 75mph were around 600* If I got on it hard down the highway I would see 1200-1250* From a dead stop to fast I would see 1350-1400* but only for a second

I will be trying the regular tow tune (tow pig) this weekend when I go after some trees for the yard, should be about 4000lbs so I will talk about it soon. I know it is not much weight but I can at least try out the trans on it. Next month I will be heaing back to GA with the 17,000lb trailer and I have a custom tow tune for it, trans, egt turned off and jake brake....no HP.

I would really like to stress that there is BIG Improvements over how the 7.3l reacts to tunes compared to the 6.0 and I like it!!!! I am really excited about driving the truck again. In the future I will try other tuners tunes but for the moment I have no reason to look!!!!

I know this is long but hopefully you got something from reading it!!!

2006 F250 6.0 Crew Cab King Ranch 4x4
SCT XCAL2
Edge Insight
Kitty ran away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:45 AM
TDG Mafia Granny # 89

There is nothing like the feel of a custom tuned truck. But please watch the "granny" comments! Not all grannies drive like one!

04 F250 CC 6.0L PSD 2WD
Magna Flow 3.5" DP to 4" No Kitty, No Muffler, 5" stainless Magna Flow Tip, Zoodad, Detroit Truetrac, Fluidampr, ARP Head Studs, ITP Regulated Return Fuel System, AirDog II, EGR delete Thanks Scuffy, Autometer Overhead Gauges (Pyro,Tranny, & Boost)
Injectors by Ryan Casserly of Full Force Diesel
Turbo by Beans Diesel Performance
SCT Custom Tuning
517 hp 744 tq
IT IS JUST A GRANNY TRUCK!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastgranny View Post
There is nothing like the feel of a custom tuned truck. But please watch the "granny" comments! Not all grannies drive like one!

At least I know you read it.....you passed the test!!!!!!!

Really no disrespect though

SCT XCAL2
Edge Insight
Kitty ran away
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:56 AM
TDG Mafia Granny # 89

None taken, just giving you a hard time! You should have said that you drove it like a paw-paw instead of a granny! Glad you like your tuning. I have heard very good things about Matt's tuning. I haven't run any of his tune's yet. The Granny Truck is so tough to tune, I hate to stray from what I know works.

04 F250 CC 6.0L PSD 2WD
Magna Flow 3.5" DP to 4" No Kitty, No Muffler, 5" stainless Magna Flow Tip, Zoodad, Detroit Truetrac, Fluidampr, ARP Head Studs, ITP Regulated Return Fuel System, AirDog II, EGR delete Thanks Scuffy, Autometer Overhead Gauges (Pyro,Tranny, & Boost)
Injectors by Ryan Casserly of Full Force Diesel
Turbo by Beans Diesel Performance
SCT Custom Tuning
517 hp 744 tq
IT IS JUST A GRANNY TRUCK!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:57 AM
********* and Mafia #90

Thanked 1,333 Times in 985 Posts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Bcarriveau Send a message via Yahoo to Bcarriveau
Getem Girl!

Bill Carriveau OFFICIAL POO HAULER

100K miles on 4/7/2010
2005 F250 FX4 Supercab Shortbed
ARP studs, sct, Leveling kit,Airdog set at 62psi with no factory pump, leveling kit,5" stacks, under cab lights, Large in the way Fan shroud Removed, bed Lights being Re-did. Large Alternator(250amps)(130 amps was so 2003). On 3rd set of Hgs(soon to be 4th), 2nd set of heads, 2nd tubro, egr cooler, FICM and more. When i Turn the Key it does return a Favor, not always in MY Favor.
Da Rules..Here

Windows 7 Takes the WIN!
Windows 8 might take that Win
http://www.bcarriveau.com/
Dear Tequila:
We had a deal. You were supposed to make me sexier, smarter and a better dancer. But I saw the video. And I think we need to talk..

How you name your Thread is Important. Read Here

The TDG TOTQ

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Geez now i am getting ganged up on

SCT XCAL2
Edge Insight
Kitty ran away

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode