New with a temp. question! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by StrokeNPoke, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1212 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

New with a temp. question!

Just picked up my 07 Ford F250 6.0L Diesel about a month or so ago and I am still new to all of this... so bear with me.

Tax refund came in first off..

I know I need a new T-Stat, since the one I has it stuck open I believe (no heat in the car, barely gets to operating temp)

My question to you.... would you rather opt for a higher temp T stat, or lower than stock? I figure, might as well try and do some sort of upgrade while I am fixing the issue.

Another question, would the motor perform better at a higher-then-stock temp, or a lower-than-stock temp? Sorry if I am rambling on with random questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 12:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokeNPoke View Post
Just picked up my 07 Ford F250 6.0L Diesel about a month or so ago and I am still new to all of this... so bear with me.

Tax refund came in first off..

I know I need a new T-Stat, since the one I has it stuck open I believe (no heat in the car, barely gets to operating temp)

My question to you.... would you rather opt for a higher temp T stat, or lower than stock? I figure, might as well try and do some sort of upgrade while I am fixing the issue.

Another question, would the motor perform better at a higher-then-stock temp, or a lower-than-stock temp? Sorry if I am rambling on with random questions.
Is the degas bottle puking? Not getting heat could be from failed head gaskets,egr cooler and/or oil cooler blocked, also heater core blocked. When they casted the blocks in production they really didn't get all the casting sand out of them, it is very important to install a coolant filter. Also thier is a gray vacume line that is located right behind the oil fill tube. This gray line gets hooked to a inline heater control valve, so when running the AC it shuts off coolant to the heater core. Sometimes this gray vacume line gets knocked off and closes the valve and you won't get heat. Use the search button on the 6.0 powerstroke section and type in stuff like "no heat"," heat won't work".
Edit: also if the degas bottle is REAL LOW on coolant, will cause no heat issue

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ,QT,GH,ID,Gyphon FICM tuner,head studs,II Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,AD2,4" turbo back straight pipe,K&N intake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Thanks to:JASONS REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE-TELFORD,PA.

"Are diesel pickups hot rods? Yes,they are-perhaps the most versatile hot rods ever made"---Diesel Power Magazine

Last edited by lilpooh; 03-26-2010 at 12:18 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh View Post
Is the degas bottle puking? Not getting heat could be from failed head gaskets,egr cooler and/or oil cooler blocked, also heater core blocked. When they casted the blocks in production they really didn't get all the casting sand out of them, it is very important to install a coolant filter. Also thier is a gray vacume line that is located right behind the oil fill tube. This gray line gets hooked to a inline heater control valve, so when running the AC it shuts off coolant to the heater core. Sometimes this gray vacume line gets knocked off and closes the valve and you won't get heat. Use the search button on the 6.0 powerstroke section and type in stuff like "no heat"," heat won't work".
Edit: also if the degas bottle is REAL LOW on coolant, will cause no heat issue
Thanks for the reply! No bottle puking that I know of, flushed the heater core last weekend. I was basically wondering if maybe putting a "hotter" or "colder" Tstat in would improve performance.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 03:17 PM
illadvised and dangerous

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
It might be a tstat but odds are more in favor for headgaskets or a failed egr cooler. When that happens it will essentially air lock and you will have no heat. The 03-04 ym trucks also have a less that stellar water pump. If you have under 100k on the truck you are still in factory warranty. I would start there. You truck is a 07 and the warranty starts at the sale date and runs 5yrs from that date or 100k which ever comes first. There is a $100 deductable the tstat and then correct ford gold coolant will cost you near that plus your time. I'd find a good ford dealer and let them check it out.

2006 f250 4x4
crewcab lariat
auto elec tcase
soon to have
isspro egt/boost/trans/fuel

as well as pretty much
everything else
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 03:18 PM
illadvised and dangerous

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
It might be a tstat but odds are more in favor for headgaskets or a failed egr cooler. When that happens it will essentially air lock and you will have no heat. The 03-04 ym trucks also have a less that stellar water pump. If you have under 100k on the truck

2006 f250 4x4
crewcab lariat
auto elec tcase
soon to have
isspro egt/boost/trans/fuel

as well as pretty much
everything else
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 05:11 PM

Garage
take it in their is no deductable for 2007 trucks it all free

2007 F-250 CC SB 4x4
Edge Evolution Tuner, Straight pipe, no kitty and Zoodad mod.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 05:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokeNPoke View Post
Thanks for the reply! No bottle puking that I know of, flushed the heater core last weekend. I was basically wondering if maybe putting a "hotter" or "colder" Tstat in would improve performance.
How did you flush the heater core? If you just flushed it by doing a standard coolant flush, then chances are that thier wasn't enough psi to unblock the heater core. How do I know? I did the same thing! I did a coolant flush and still had no heat. Then I replaced the heater core,and took a air hose to the old core,set the psi to 125 and took about 2 seconds for air pressure to build up and BAM, It shot out the sand 10+ feet.
https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...ad.php?t=90555

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ,QT,GH,ID,Gyphon FICM tuner,head studs,II Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,AD2,4" turbo back straight pipe,K&N intake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Thanks to:JASONS REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE-TELFORD,PA.

"Are diesel pickups hot rods? Yes,they are-perhaps the most versatile hot rods ever made"---Diesel Power Magazine
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 05:33 PM

Garage
take it in their is no deductable for 2007 trucks it all free

2007 F-250 CC SB 4x4
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

No warranty Over 100,000 miles already.

Would putting a "hotter" or "colder" Tstat in improve performance at all? Just wondering.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 03:37 PM

Garage
no youll make a little more power but itll decrease fuel mileage, like others menioned you may have another issue, i doubt your 07 blew HG's

2007 F-250 CC SB 4x4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode