testing ficm - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by uh oh, 6.0, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 1845 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
testing ficm

Hello all, ive had a shi*&# running six 0 for a year and a half now. At first i diagnosed it as a slipping torque converter...wrong! next i was told by a local shop in town that i needed a set of injectors. so i put a set of rcds 180mm injectors in. it still runs like crap.
so the point that im at now is testing the ficm and hopefully repairing it. the question that i have is how to test it. i would like to see what the input and output voltages are of the ficm. instruction on how to do this would be much appreciated.

2003 F-250 extended cab short box FX4 package. Looney tuned, afe stage II xp, Precision Industries torque converter, mbrp 5" exhaust, crankcase re-route, zoodad mod, air dog 2, removed turbo silencer, diesel site coolant filter, fs2500, diesel site "bright box", rcd egr delete, itp regulated return, mag-tec deep tranny pan, upgraded suncoast direct shift solenoid, 180mm rcd injectors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 01:50 AM

Garage
Take the degas bottle and loosen it so it hangs, take intake air breather off for more room. Remove 2 screws from top of FICM along with the little plate the screws held in. You will see either 4 screws or 7 screws inside. If you have the 4 screw, put your positive lead from volt tester on the screw closest to the drivers fender and put your neg on a good ground. Have friend key on your truck, should read 48 volts. Have friend start truck with your volt meter still reading and should still be 48 volts. If its less than 46 volts there may be something wrong. Make sure you do NOT touch the side of FICM with lead on the screw inside. You can possibly fix your ficm if its small voltage loss here http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...36&postcount=1) If you have 7 screw let us know

2004 F-350 CC LB King Ranch. Under the Hood SCT w/Innovative street tunes by Eric, Hot FICM tuned by Power Hungary, custom built 4" intake with huge afe filter, Intake elbow, 3"down pipe to 5" straight piped stack, EGR block off, Zoodad Mod, CCV mod, Complete EGR delete, The Big 3 cable upgrade w/ batts under cab, Autometer pillar guages, Boost, Trans, EGT. APR studs sitting in box ready for install
Suspension 2.5inch leveling kit. Stock King Ranch 18" rims with 33inch Nitto A/T.
Truck is now pushing 134K miles an running strong.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
thank you for the help. this sounds like its a lot less complicated than i thought it was. ill be doing this this weekend. hopefully its my problem! thanks again

2003 F-250 extended cab short box FX4 package. Looney tuned, afe stage II xp, Precision Industries torque converter, mbrp 5" exhaust, crankcase re-route, zoodad mod, air dog 2, removed turbo silencer, diesel site coolant filter, fs2500, diesel site "bright box", rcd egr delete, itp regulated return, mag-tec deep tranny pan, upgraded suncoast direct shift solenoid, 180mm rcd injectors
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:14 PM

Garage
No worries let us know the results

2004 F-350 CC LB King Ranch. Under the Hood SCT w/Innovative street tunes by Eric, Hot FICM tuned by Power Hungary, custom built 4" intake with huge afe filter, Intake elbow, 3"down pipe to 5" straight piped stack, EGR block off, Zoodad Mod, CCV mod, Complete EGR delete, The Big 3 cable upgrade w/ batts under cab, Autometer pillar guages, Boost, Trans, EGT. APR studs sitting in box ready for install
Suspension 2.5inch leveling kit. Stock King Ranch 18" rims with 33inch Nitto A/T.
Truck is now pushing 134K miles an running strong.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Member Since Sept 2007

Whats different with testing the 7 screw???

"The best Battlefield Medicine is firepower superiority and overwhelming violence!"

SLAPS Member #193
Singles Club #212

3rd Degree Master Mason

2004 F-350 6.0 6" suspension lift sitting on 35's 6spd MANUAL 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, AFE Air Box, (ARP Studs, New HG's and Complete EGR Delete by Josh at River City Diesel) Coolant Filter from Dfuser, Stainless Steel Up-Pipe from RCD, 4 gauge pillar with Autometer Phantom Series 1 gauges. Boost, Pyro, Fuel Pressure and Oil Temp. Shimmed FPR. Improved Banjo Bolts. Fabtechs all around with a Procomp steering stabilizer from RCD. SCT X3 tuned by RCD
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:42 PM

You just test a different screw on the 7 screw ficm. Its the one closest to the front passenger corner of the truck.

'03 F250 CCSB SRW, SCT, K&N, MBRP STRAIGHT PIPED, SNOW STG 3, LIFTED 6" ON 37'S, RCD's EGR DELETE, AP HD200, TP STG 1 FUEL SYSTEM, HYPERMAX STG 1 INJECTORS, ARP'S, ID TUNED, VARIOUS LITTLE GOODIES...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
well, i checked the voltage at the ficm (i have the seven screw set up). it was 47.8 volts. i was kind of hoping to find that it was out of specification becasue that would be a nice easy fix and a good time to upgrade to the swamps ficm. so...since ive got new injectors, and the ficm tests well, im kind of down to a wiring issue. i checked some of the known chafing locations and found nothing. i should just take it to the dealership and have them install a new harness.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode