The Diesel Garage banner

Which tuner??????

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  CSIPSD 
#1 ·
Alright time for some expert advice guy's.:bow: I have a 06 250 with 1700miles on it and had to have the turbo replaced after 100miles. I'm going to put exhaust (turbo back) and I would like to put a tuner in it. I've been told to put a min of 3000 miles on it before a tuner. I would like to know if this is right. I drive the truck on the hwy about 30 miles a day round trip to work and on the weekends I tow my jet boat (7500lbs) around 60 to 100 miles round trip. I would like a tuner that helps fuel mpg and more spunk for pulling. I wouldn't mind some extra power for MVA & FIRE call's. I would like to have your input please and no:)pointlaugh ). Thanks...

#2 ·
I have the Edge Platinum and think it's great. I haven't had any others so I can't comment. I like the the turbo cool down feature and ability to shift on the fly. No need to change tunes depending on if you're towing something just push a button. I also like having built in digital gauges. As far as when to add it...I would say if you did the Edge don't go above level 2 or a very mild SCT tune until you hit at least 3000 miles. I might even wait a little longer though like 5K. Congrats and good luck. Hope this helps.

#3 ·
I've ran the SCT, BD Powerpup, Superchips 1701, and TS 5x. The best to me is the SCT because it can give balls to the wall power or just better shifting or you can have both. It can be tuned from 25 extra hp to over 100 at the rear wheels! The other tuner that I really liked was the TS 5x. It is a great tuner if you're not looking for extreme power, shifts very well, and tunes only take about a minute or two to load.

#6 ·
Well, A local part store talked me into a free trial run of the Bully Dog. I told them I just wanted the low or next step up. :eek:mg I came home picked up the wife and took her for a ride.:93C_peelo All she could say is how is this going to help MPG.. Now I know I'm buying something soon!!!! Yes she did smile and liked it when she drove it home.

#10 ·
Like I said Out of the Box/Off the Shelf, Bully Dog.....Custom Tune SCT. That BD tune you ran is the lowest setting (economy/tow). The next level up is the best for mileage. You should expect a minimum mileage improvement of 10-20%. Mine went to 18.6 in town & 21.4 hwy.

#14 ·
If I lived close to DJ or Doug, I'd be poor, and divorced, but the truck would haul A--!!!!!

Seriously, SCT... Lower EGT's, better mileage, EGR Delete, and better for the tranny.

#15 ·
I'll fall back on my previous statments. If your gonna race the truck or flog it hard get the SCT, if your gonna tow and drive it like a pickup truck and not a racecar get the Edge Platinum.

Edge has the gauges built in, SCT does not, so the Edge takes up less dash space. The Edge holds its five "tunes" in memory and can be changed on the fly, the SCT requires the up/down loading of files. The Edge does not seem to be effected by ECM reflashes while the SCT often requires new tunes.

Just some of my observastion from other posts on the SCT, I have not owned one, only owned the Edge.

Both are fine tuners, I just prefer the Edge for my style of driving.

LargeCar:usflag :usflag :usflag

#16 ·
i think im gonna go with the edge as well.. i drive 100 miles or more every day ... and tow a 5k work trailer half the time... i just want a little more off the line power to get me into traffic and a few mpg. i like the fact i can change the tuens on the fly, and i wont have to buy any guages since they are built in the tuner. i dunno if i will even go past the first setting.

#17 ·
bigguy75inches said:
i think im gonna go with the edge as well.. i drive 100 miles or more every day ... and tow a 5k work trailer half the time... i just want a little more off the line power to get me into traffic and a few mpg. i like the fact i can change the tuens on the fly, and i wont have to buy any guages since they are built in the tuner. i dunno if i will even go past the first setting.
Another option is the SCT with a good Street program. It'll pull up to 10k lbs safely, control your transmission, and give you as much power as the Edge cranked up. In your case, there's really no need to change the program.

As far as space is concerned, the SCT doesn't take any. It reflashes your factory computer and then you won't need the unit again until you want to return to stock or change programs. No wires to run, or poking holes in the firewall. If you decide you want a gauge or monitor(cheap insurance to have them) the Bully Dog monitor, TS Monitor, Quad Monitor are all options. The good thing about the Bully Dog is it plugs into the OBD2 port and there's no need to run any wires except the pyro and one ignition on to the fuse box.

#18 ·
Lariat Trucker said:
Like I said Out of the Box/Off the Shelf, Bully Dog.....Custom Tune SCT. That BD tune you ran is the lowest setting (economy/tow). The next level up is the best for mileage. You should expect a minimum mileage improvement of 10-20%. Mine went to 18.6 in town & 21.4 hwy.
OK?:pointlaugh

So when you going to become a sponser? Isspro didnt start pimpin there stuff until they became a sponser, why do you?:poke: :RTFM: :Thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.