clutch problem - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by JoeDirte, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 2085 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

clutch problem

Hi Guys. I installed a South Bend FE clutch about 55k ago. I started to notice a metal scraping noise right before my road trip when I let out the clutch pedal. It's a scrapy squeaky sound. It got worse to the point where I need to put just a bit of force to get it into first or reverse and I get the metal scrape sound. I also started to smell clutch. This only happens in 1st and reverse. I'm trying to be gentle with it as I still have another 800 miles to go during my 3k road trip. I'm more concerned about the last leg of my trip because I know there will be more stop and go traffic as I get home. The clutch master was replaced maybe 60k ago. I notice that engaging makes the noise. When disengaging, it's slightly harder to shift in and out of first or second. Also, if I have the tranny in first or reverse and I have the clutch disengaged, the sometimes grabs and the truck moves. So I get the truck rolling asap to avoid frying the clutch. Any ideas? I figure I might have to yank the tranny to figure the problem, but I don't want to do that on the road.

2000 F250 Supercab 2wd, 6spd, DP Tuner, Southbend conFE, MBRP 4" turbo back straight pipe. DIY intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 05:19 AM

I would say maybe a throwout bearing at the very least. If it was a 5sp you could look take the inspection cover off and look at the clutch, but the 6sp doesn't have one. There's not alot of things that you could do being out of town. It could be that the lever with that holds the throwout bearing could be bent. Does the peddle feel different? any closer to the floor than normal? Is the point where it disengages different than before? It sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging all the way.

99 f-350 cc duallie 7.3l powerstroke 6sp 4x4
Finally on the road but needing lots of little problems fixed, injectors are in the works once the economy gets better

94 f-350 CC long bed idi-t
mods :k&n filter, hypermax 3.5" exhaust, injectors, pyro & boost gauges, a zf5 swap , IP , rebuilt turbo

future mods: An engine rebuild, custom intercooler & hydrogen (HHO) generator

Singles club member #238
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 05:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to moose99psd
sounds to me like a throw out being and being first and reverse has the most TQ its allowing it to slip at lower speeds if its not releasing, as well as the enguagement lever could be bent thus the reason the throwout bearing went bad. did you replace the bearing with the clutch? did the arm get inspected?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well guys, I'm back home now. Not only did I have that clutch problem (still do). As I was trying to leave, my batteries died. It was like instant. I started the truck up no problem. Fired strong. I moved the truck up forward and turned it off. 5 minutes later I tried to start it and I heard the click clicking of super weak batteries. No warning at all. The Walmart batteries bit the dust after 5 years. I called the nearest Walmart at 100 miles away, $80 a piece. A local garage had Interstates for $110 a piece. I couldn't risk driving out across the desert so in went the Interstates.
Back to the clutch. It's definitely not disengaging completely. I swapped out the clutch fork before when the original one bent and broke. The new clutch fork had a new design. I swapped out the T/O bearing when I changed out the clutch. I guess I'll need to yank that 6 spd. I'll pick up another fork and T/O bearing first. If the current one is bent, I may weld a piece to reinforce the new one before I install it.

2000 F250 Supercab 2wd, 6spd, DP Tuner, Southbend conFE, MBRP 4" turbo back straight pipe. DIY intake.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 07:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to moose99psd
make sure to look at the fingers on the clutch pressure plate. while your in there if you have an alignment tool go ahead and pull the pressure plate off and inspect the cluch and see how the clutch itself looks. the southbend clutches are a bit stiffer than the stockers so i wouldnt be surprised to hear you bent the clutch fork.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I figured it out. I yanked that tranny today. The TO bearing had a few things missing. The clutch fork looked fine. The TO bearing didn't look bad enough to cause the problems I was having. So I looked around the bell housing and saw pieces of springs. Off came the South Bend pressure plate and the disc had a few springs pop off. Some of that spun around the flywheel recess. It looks like a brake rotor when pads get down to the metal. I'll see if the machinist says it's safe. I can't tell how much metal has been ground away. I'm hoping a resurface is all in order. Now I have to at least find the pressure plate, disc and another kevlar pilot. The kevlar somehow got a little opened up. The input shaft had no play.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I kept thinking that 55k on a clutch is way too short, especially if I wasn't beating on it. I called up South Bend and talked to Peter. Amazingly, he honored a way expired warranty. He made sure I got the parts by the weekend so i could put my truck back together. This time I got the OFE. Much smoother engagement. I can say that companies like South Bend are a rarity these days. I wish I didn't have to replace that clutch so soon, but since I had to, it was nice not to pay for another one. There's not too many companies that guarantee their product. I like Snap-On, but their guarantees aren't as good as they used to be. Craftsman has the best guarantee hands down. I never had a problem returning a damaged Craftsman. Snap-On is now limited on what they will honor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode