Glow Plug Relay - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Sharpshooter77, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 1761 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Question Glow Plug Relay

Hey guys, I recently bought a 1997 Ford F-250, 7.3 stock, 5 speed 4x4, with a 185k. I was having some trouble with the glow plug system. I replace the GPR with a new motorcraft one. When the truck is running I have power at the little treminal thats suppost to have ground from the PCM. Does it always supply ground or does it supply ground to turn the GPR on and then It show positive when the truck is running, or is my PCM on its way out. When the key is off I just have power at the feed to the relay then when the key is on I have power at all 4 post on the GPR. Then when its done its cycle it has power at the 2 small terminals and the 1 big feed terminal when the truck is running. Also checked the UVCH and it looked good, and I replace 4 glow plugs on the passenger side while I was in there. The old ones were still good but becasue I had the new ones why not, and i had power to all the glow plugs on that side. Didn't check the driver side yet it got to dark last night. Thanks for the help.

Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 12:32 AM

Are you sure you got a Glow Plug relay and Not a starter relay ? they are different...

95 E350 Cargo , BB shim
DP flashed 60 Tow PCM , B&M Aluminium Pan , Transgo Shift Kit , Autometer Triple Pod avec Guages , Cat sleeps with the fishes, Dana 70 FF 3:55 , Timbrens SES Kit
Stage I injectors / IDM mod coming soon
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter77 View Post
I was having some trouble with the glow plug system. I replace the GPR with a new motorcraft one. When the truck is running I have power at the little treminal thats suppost to have ground from the PCM. Does it always supply ground or does it supply ground to turn the GPR on and then It show positive when the truck is running, or is my PCM on its way out.
WOW! You actually did the test correctly and your idea is 100% correct! The PCM only grounds the one small terminal WHILE it wants the GP to be on, so everything is working correctly thus far!

Quote:
When the key is off I just have power at the feed to the relay then when the key is on I have power at all 4 post on the GPR.
Yea, that's a problem... the PCM is not grounding the one small terminal as it should be, at least with the engine "cold".

Quote:
Then when its done its cycle it has power at the 2 small terminals and the 1 big feed terminal when the truck is running. Also checked the UVCH and it looked good, and I replace 4 glow plugs on the passenger side while I was in there. Thanks for the help.

Shane
It sounds like either the PCM thinks the engine is warm enough not to need the GPs to be turned on, or there is a wiring problem between the PCM and one smaller terminal of the GPR.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode