exhaust questions; 97 PSD - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ofg, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 1211 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
ofg

exhaust questions; 97 PSD

I have been doing some research on downpipes and exhaust systems. Trying to shop for an inexpensive system to get better mpg, lower egt, and quicker spool. Also, this might make it safer to use the 80+ setting on my tuner chip.

Couple of questions; Does the stock exhaust have o2 sensors plugged into the cat? o2 sensors ANYWHERE in the system?

If I run a "test pipe" in place of the cat will get any check engine codes thrown?

Previous turbo experience with DSM, audi, 2.3 fords tells me that a test pipe is a Check Engine light nitemare.

Who makes a down pipe that has the bung already on for egt probe?

I noticed 2 piece down pipes and 1 piece; Do the 2 piece seal up well? How are they held together? I imagine the 1 piece are more difficult to install?

Whats the stock exhaust diameter on my 97 f250 hd crew? Is 3" a substantial upgrade,, or go strait to 4"?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:17 AM

You're not going to get any CEL's if your Cat happens to fall off. I think you want a 3.5" down pipe for the OBS and don't look for one with a bung for the pyro. You want to install the sender pre-turbo in the up pipes or exhaust manifold.

Chris
2002 F350 6-speed 444 CID. XLT, Heated Seat, 380,000 & counting.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 10:43 PM

Garage
Gale Banks has a 3.5" turbo down pipe for your truck. Bolts right up. They sell it as a seperate part or included in thier "Stinger" or "Power Pak" system kits. It's the same one that comes in thier "Power Pak" system kit that I put on my truck which is the same year as yours. I wish I had done it much sooner. It will pull a house down now!
The best bang for your buck is with their Power Pak system. It has an intercooler, chip, 1.0 A/R ratio turbo housing and other things. Adding an intercooler to the 1997 engine is best way to get real torque improvments. Just adding a chip will get HP and torque improvememnts but with the additional high EGT temps too. That's a bad thing. It's easy to over fuel a deisel and go too high on EGT if you don't have an intercooler. The smaller 1.0 A/R turbo housing makes it develope boost almost instantly when you hit the throttle. It comes off the line like a big block gas engine now.
Banks did some testing on the Power Strokes exhaust system and determined that the cat and muffler were not restictive enough to really hurt spool up or peak turbo performance so they said eleminating those peices would not help anything other than making more noise. The OEM turbo down pipe is really the only harmful component in the exhaust system. If diffinetly needs to get swapped out. After I put the Power Pak on, I ran it with the pipe disconnected before the cat and and muffler but could not tell any difference other than noise. A loud exhaust dosen't make your ride any faster. It just pisses people off quicker.

Last edited by bluestreakrem; 01-03-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode