HELP!!7.3 WON'T START - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by j1586, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 7240 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

HELP!!7.3 WON'T START

have a 2002 f350 that I am chasing a problem. new icp, new ipr, new HPOP,New fuel pump with prefilter, fresh batts and fuel in the bowl and no start.

ran AE scan tool before HPOP replaced.
1. Injector buzz test passed with no problems.
2. When we tried to run the cylinder contribution test, the engine died as soon as the first injector was dropped out by the test - I don't think it related to that injector.the RPM dropped too much. We repeated the test and the same thing happened again.
3. I have a DP tuner, and the engine would only stay running if the tuner was on the high idle program. If you took it back to stock, the engine died immediately.

The IPR Duty Cycle is at about 14% with the engine off, jumps up to about 65% while cranking, and then came back down to about 14% once the engine is running. ICP was around 650-700 psig.

I have replaced the fuel filter, injector cups & o-rings.

Before hpop replacement it would start with small amount of starting fluid but will not stay running at low speed/idle. after the replacement i finally got it started and it even would idle down. it died while idling and hasn't started since.

I am in Ct and have to be in TX in 2 weeks! any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 02:17 PM

Sounds like an Injector Pump issue. Or maybe a sensor has gone bad. Cam position sensor maybe? I'm sure someone will be in here shortly that has a better idea of what your issue is. Good luck!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPS replaced earlier and even swaped it for a spare-no change

oil changed prior to hpop replacement
HPOP replaced on monday. truck has been cycled 20-30 times since. even ran for a 2-3 min period before dying.

no oil in fuel bowl

I don't have a scanner here. Greg in Ledyard hooked it up when my truck was running poorly but still runnning.

truck will not start at this point even on ether
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 02:59 PM

That's wierd. I am not sure what could make it not start on ether. I would be tempted to just take it to a shop. That may be cheaper in the long run.....and faster too.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:42 AM

If you can get a replacement IDM, try that.

Injector Driver Module.

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd