Can this be done - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by DD95, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 2581 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Can this be done

Hey all. Got a question. I have a 95 obs psd and want to put all super duty injection and Turbo on it. Injectors. Turbo, hpop, intake manifold. All with less than 10k on it all. Now I know that my hpop has an anti drain back valve and the superdutys do not is this needed or can I run without it or is there a way for me to get around this and is all this stuff compatible with my motor and what kinda tuning. Would I need to make it all work. Thanks in advance for any and all info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 04:44 AM

Yes This can be done I have done it. I took my ’95 and put all the SD stuff you want to put in yours.

1st thing SD turbo sits 2” taller then the OBS turbo, I had a flat bed so I did A 2” cab lift, you will need SD up pipes, Then you will need a van intake manifold “Y” pipe. The ’94-’96 intake plenums are 2”, The ’97-’03s are 3”. I suggest getting the 3” intake plenums. I used rubber bushing on mine. For the down pipe I ended up using the flange off of a SD down pipe welded to an aftermarket 3” 2 piece OBS down pipe. IMO using the SD Turbo, up pipes, intake plenums, hybrid down pipe is a good idea if you’re willing to lift your body or seriously pound the fire wall in with a BFH.

The van Powerstrokes have no intercooler, If you are going to run an intercooler then use the SD intake spider.

The OBS turbo has a 1.15 A/R (Area over Radius, Google it) exhaust housing non waste gate and the SD has a .84 A/R waste gated exhaust housing. Basically the SD turbo has less area between the housing and the drive wheel (turbine), The smaller A/R the faster the turbo will spool and it will flow less exhaust. I think the drive wheels are the same, I also believe each turbo has the same internals in the center section. On the compressor side the SD turbo is much more efficient, in fact it is so efficient that the SD trucks “turbo surge” when you chip them with a stock turbo.

The real difference between the OBS and SD HPOP is the OBS has a 15* angle pump gear and the SD has 17* the difference between the pump gear angle is internal, the HPOP drive gear is the same. The OBS HPOP is capable of 2800psi the SD HPOP is capable of 3200psi and flow more oil. I have put 17* SD pumps on all my OBS trucks this is not an issue. Your stock OBS tunes won’t put the oil pressure much past 2600psi, but if you have a chip or 10k ICP mod, the SD HPOP will help.

Now for the injectors. OBS injectors are 90cc single shot, SD are 140cc Split Shot. The SD split shot tune has a move advanced timing to compensate for the split shot (2 injections per cycle) injections, also split shot injectors use a lot more oil. When you put in the SD injectors your truck will run quieter, will has less turbo lag, more boost, very high drive pressure, higher EGT, and start harder you MPG will go down, and your power will be about the same, all due to a delayed injection and more fuel. If you have a tuner you can custom program and advance the timing 4-6* (I think) you should be fine. Other wise I would not use the SD injectors.

Power Hungry Performance makes custom tunes on a few different platforms, TS 6 position, Edge, and one other. I would call them If you want some custom tunes for this project.

Like I said I did this with 1 of my trucks, I had like 45 psi of boost and the EGTs would go to 1400* because of the delayed timing the fuel was not done burning as the exhaust valve was opening creating to much drive pressure, I only got about 2000 miles out of that turbo, hauling hay.
I would go for everything but the injectors, if you do not do an intercooler you will see difference the power will come on sooner, if you put an inter cooler on it you will still have some turbo lag, but better MPGs, HP and Torque, it will just take a few seconds to come on.

If you really want more fuel 160cc singles are nice but will have high drive pressure and EGTs above 2500rpm with the tight SD turbo. For turbo longevity you want to keep your boost under 30 psi with the OBS or SD turbo.

Jay Noone
413-222-8286
I got hay
abolish the Federal Reserve, they are the real problem

Vote Ron Paul 2012
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Can this be done

Thanks for the info. I have two Turbo and injection set ups. One is all off an 2000 SD and the other is off a 02 E350 van I basically have everything from the heads up from the van and a complete SD 7.3 that has a hole in the number 8 piston. I already have a 3in body lift on the truck. So fitting the Turbo should not be a problem. But the van Turbo looks way larger than the SD Turbo and is non wastegated. Would this be a problem. And what of the anti drain back valve is it needed. Thanks again for the help
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD95 View Post
Thanks for the info. I have two Turbo and injection set ups. One is all off an 2000 SD and the other is off a 02 E350 van I basically have everything from the heads up from the van and a complete SD 7.3 that has a hole in the number 8 piston. I already have a 3in body lift on the truck. So fitting the Turbo should not be a problem. But the van Turbo looks way larger than the SD Turbo and is non wastegated. Would this be a problem. And what of the anti drain back valve is it needed. Thanks again for the help
The van may have a 1.00 A/R it should have it stamped in the casting. It depends how you are going to be using your truck. If you are looking for fuel mileage and are going to run the RPMs less then 2000 rpm most of the time (if your truck has 3.55 and you travel 65-75mph, I would run the smaller wstegated SD turbo. If you have are gong to run higher RPMs like 2300-2600 ish (4.11 rear end) I would use the bigger non wastegate setup.

What do you use your truck for?
What is the gear ratio?
Dose it have an Auto or 5 speed?
What size tires?
how fast do you like to travel?

Jay Noone
413-222-8286
I got hay
abolish the Federal Reserve, they are the real problem

Vote Ron Paul 2012
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Can this be done

I basically use the truck as a daily driver and occasionally use it to tow loads that accede 10 to 15k. The truck has 4.10 gears running on 37s. Fuel mileage isn't really a concern but would like to get a little more power out of it. Since I just had my trans rebuilt and a triple disk converter installed more power would not hurt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode