CA smog tests - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Shadowskater, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 3551 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

CA smog tests

Hey all, I just accepted a new job in California and recently moved over here. My truck is currently registered in Texas and I still have my Texas ID as well. I am not sure what the grace periods are but I know for permanent moves I would need to obtain a new license and also transfer my registration over to Cali for new plates etc...

Problem is my truck has been modified enough that I believe that I will not be able to pass the stringent smog test. I have read up about it and how they check your codes on the OBDII, do a visual check for any non-stock parts, get under your truck to check for a modified exhaust, rev test, etc...

I barely missed the eligibility for exception of the smog tests as any diesel manufactured before 1998 is an exception. Link, My truck is a late 99' too, if it was an early 99 it could have potentially had a 98' manufacture date (oh and it would have been produced without a cat anyways >.<)

So my truck currently has a aftermarket intake (the big napa filter) and I do not still have the stock intake, it has a tuner (dp) I can turn that off but it still won't pass visual, and it has a replaced exhaust system 4"magnaflow, muffler and magnaflow cat, but the magnaflow cat is 49state legal (CA being that #50).

So my truck is in pretty deep for attempting to register, and it would take quite a bit of un-modding with heavy cash flow to get it to pass successfully.

I am asking for some advice as to what I should do at this point. I can always continue to register the truck in Texas and whenever I receive new plates my parents will mail them, etc. But I think after being pulled over it will be hard to talk my way out of a ticket for not registering the vehicle in California.
Or I can drive it back to Texas or another legal state to sell it, or I can go through the headache or trying to get Cali to stamp it legal.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Riding solow on the Hog

Garage
The only advice I can give is this. GET OUT OF THAT STUPID STATE!

Now, SERIOUSLY. What you CAN try, is this. Stock airbox= JUNKYARD someplace. Los Angeles has a place called "Pick your part" Or some such, VERY reasonable, and theyve a whole section with JUST Ford trucks. You may even be able to find them online and order the box that way. Chip= Set on stock and REMOVE it before you take it in to test, then re install after. No biggie there. Exhaust= probably your biggest headache. Only thing I can say about that is get the 50st legal cat, shop around for the lowest price. Ive an 03, you see, and moved out of that dipshBLEEPit state just last year, luckily for me. Here in Colorado, the "Smog" Is merely an opacity test on the exhaust, and check to see you have the proper exhaust equipment, which on Moby is a straight 3.5"pipe. No cat, no muffler. Oh, and they check to see if you have an air filter. The guy at the shop I took it to was all, " Holy CRAP thats a big honkin air filter!" which made me laugh, and I told him we affectionately call it the BHAF. We got a good kick out of that.

Why in the bloody heBLEEPll would you want to trade Texas for a 'job' in California!???

"MOby" The big white bio-burning 03 7.3 4x4. 6637, straight piped stock exhaust, and a new "secret" blend of Haul asBLEEPsing mods and upgrades. Suffice to say, its still not the fastest, but its quick enough to worry lots!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 02:35 AM
Stuck in Commiefornia...

Garage
The smog test in CA for registration purposes on privately owned diesels isn't bad. They look for the devices that have to be there, in the case of your 7.3 that is the warm up valve on the turbo and maybe a cat. They won't care what you've don't to the exhaust, if the truck didn't come from the factory with a cat you can do anything from turbo back, they won't care if you have a 5" downpipe straight piped into 8" stacks. The air intake has to be stock or have a CARB approval number (most don't for diesels) so best to fly with stock parts, although the Donaldson air intake upgrade seems to fly by because it looks very OEM stock. Pull the chip, and drive it a couple days, several thorough full temperature drive cycles, to make sure it will pass the readiness tests, and that's it for the visual. The actual test is a snap test, they watch te exhaust and rev the engine from idle to 3000rpm, and look for any smoke it produces to dissipate in 3 seconds, you can check this yourself to be sure you'll pass. Always take a fully warmed up vehicle and it never hurts to drive them a little harder than normal a dot or two prior to the test.

To get plates you'll need a signed original weigh slip, they go by thousands of pounds, so take all your junk out of the truck and get it under 8k if you can, under 7k will save you $50+ a year. They do a vin verification right at the DMV.

You are supposed to switch everything over to CA within two weeks, but if you're close, like under a month, you'll be fine.

The Current Truck (Oct-2013 to Present):
1999 (Early) F-350 Lariat, CCLB, SRW, Black/Tan

7.3L Powerstroke, 4R100, 4x4, 3.73, 37x13.50-18s, '05 Axle Swap, 6" Fabtech lift, GTP38 "D66" turbo upgrade, SCT 4-position chip with custom tuning by me, Straight Piped 4" down pipe through 5" dual stacks, N-Fab full length triple steps, Pro-Tech cab guard and tool box, louvered 5th wheel gate, Hella 500 Fog and Driving lamps, much more to come...
The one I'll miss, (Mar-2009 to Jan-2014):
2000 Excursion XLT 4x4

6.8L V-10, 4R100, 4.30, 285/75-18, 271whp / 388wtq
The one I won't, (Jul-2005 to Sep-2012):
2005 F-350 XLT, CCLB, SRW, 4x4 FX4

6.0L PSD, ZF-6S650, 3.73, 35x12.5-18, 4.5" Lift
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Wow thanks for all the information guys, you have helped me out a ton. I now have some direction, and I know generally what to expect.

Plan is to try and obtain a stock air filter from a pick and pull, and then follow IdahoF350's advice to see if I can get the truck Cali plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoF350
You are supposed to switch everything over to CA within two weeks, but if you're close, like under a month, you'll be fine.
How do they know how long I have been in Cali? I have not switched over any paperwork or applied for new identification yet.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Stuck in Commiefornia...

Garage
Well, if you get stopped by any LEO with out of state plates and license and they say "I've seen you driving around for X time, they can cite you for failure to obtain a DL, plates, and Cali insurance.

Where in CA are you? In the city you'll go unnoticed longer than in the country. But DMVs in the city suck, the people who work there don't give a rats *** about you and they'll treat you like dirt, so if you're out in the country or can venture out a bit, try a more remote DMV office. Believe it or not, quiet, polite, and playing slightly dumb goes a long way at the DMV too, they seem to respond well to that approach, probably because it's a refreshing change from the angry, lying, sniveling, sob story crowds they're so accustomed too!

The Current Truck (Oct-2013 to Present):
1999 (Early) F-350 Lariat, CCLB, SRW, Black/Tan

7.3L Powerstroke, 4R100, 4x4, 3.73, 37x13.50-18s, '05 Axle Swap, 6" Fabtech lift, GTP38 "D66" turbo upgrade, SCT 4-position chip with custom tuning by me, Straight Piped 4" down pipe through 5" dual stacks, N-Fab full length triple steps, Pro-Tech cab guard and tool box, louvered 5th wheel gate, Hella 500 Fog and Driving lamps, much more to come...
The one I'll miss, (Mar-2009 to Jan-2014):
2000 Excursion XLT 4x4

6.8L V-10, 4R100, 4.30, 285/75-18, 271whp / 388wtq
The one I won't, (Jul-2005 to Sep-2012):
2005 F-350 XLT, CCLB, SRW, 4x4 FX4

6.0L PSD, ZF-6S650, 3.73, 35x12.5-18, 4.5" Lift
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 01:34 AM

You crack me up Idaho, well spoken words.

Harry

Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/Mobil Delvac1 ESP 5W40 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 PM

shadowstaker, i have a 99.5 f350 crewcab long bed 4x4 weighs close to 10,000 lbs that is a federal vehicle(not from cali) according to new smog law any federal diesel vehicle over 8,500 lbs between 99 to 03(?)is exempt from the obd II test,i took my truck to some chinese shop and pointed that to the tech even told him that it's stated on the passenger side valve coveri was done in 10 minutes.i got 38r(look just like oem hehehe)afm intake that's c.a.r.b. approved and hypertech tuner also c.a.r.b approved but i set it to stock and tucked into the dash. GOOD LUCK!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode