I need info on 1994 7.3 DI T. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Rebel Cummins, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 2285 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
DIXIENORMOUS 4X4

Garage
Exclamation I need info on 1994 7.3 DI T.

bought a 1994 F-450 7.3 DI Turbo
truck will not run but will crank over. noticed the oil smelled like diesel fuel and very thin.
truck has sat for 4 months. they had a injector wire harness short out and had both wiring harnesses replaced on both sides and had lift pump altornator, water pump, IDM and HPOP. truck will try to fire but will not. What will cause fuel to get in the oil besides injectors.

PS, miles on engine 130,795
Thanks.

FSG Transport LLC
Owner-Operator Aug 2010 to present
West Alexandria, Ohio
I'm The Owner of FSG Transport and a driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 04:32 AM

Fuel in oil

I had the same problem w/ an 85 6.9.
Checked the oil a week or so after my mechanic had changed it and it was a couple quarts over. Had him drain some out & week or so later, same thing!
Ended up being the injector pump itself.
1st time I ever had a rig "making oil"...
Something to check into anyway.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
DIXIENORMOUS 4X4
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldsman View Post
I had the same problem w/ an 85 6.9.
Checked the oil a week or so after my mechanic had changed it and it was a couple quarts over. Had him drain some out & week or so later, same thing!
Ended up being the injector pump itself.
1st time I ever had a rig "making oil"...
Something to check into anyway.
will check into that but, its new so hoppfully it dont need replaced.

FSG Transport LLC
West Alexandria, Ohio
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
DIXIENORMOUS 4X4
Threadstarter

Garage
Exclamation Destroked

screw it i'm not paying for all of that to be fixed so, i have all the parts to install this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120709_155105.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	449.3 KB
ID:	30368  

FSG Transport LLC
West Alexandria, Ohio
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 03:08 AM

Do you get smoke out of the exhaust pipe while you're cranking it? If you do, that means that you are getting fuel into the cylinders but its just not igniting. I've had that issue on my truck in the past and it was usually because I had bad glow plugs, or a bad starter/batteries not cranking the engine fast enough. If you use an ohm meter between the ground post on your battery and the outer most pins on the plugs that plug into the valve cover gaskets, that should give you an idea of what your glow plugs are like. Or, it could be the glow plug relay itself. These engines have a pretty low compression ratio for a diesel ( to help control NOx emissions I'm sure ) and often need the glow plugs to start the engine even in the summer months. Or, you could just plug the block heater in for a few hours and that should be enough for the engine to start on its own, if that's the problem. I don't remember exactly what the resistance should be on the glow plugs but it should be but I don't think its much more than 1 ohm. When mine were bad they tested as open.

'94 F250xlt ext. cab. ZF5-speed 4x4. EBPV delete. DPP downpipe. Tymar intake. Tymar coolant filter. LF9691 primary filter. Electric fans. 10k mod. 1.0 turbo housing. Boost blanket. Over-axle exhaust eliminated. Electric fuel pressure gauge. BDP modded IDM. Heim joint clutch linkage. Adrenaline HPOP. LUK SMFW. DIY Elec. Fuel. FS1282, FF5230 fuel filters.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
DIXIENORMOUS 4X4
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdan27 View Post
Do you get smoke out of the exhaust pipe while you're cranking it? If you do, that means that you are getting fuel into the cylinders but its just not igniting. I've had that issue on my truck in the past and it was usually because I had bad glow plugs, or a bad starter/batteries not cranking the engine fast enough. If you use an ohm meter between the ground post on your battery and the outer most pins on the plugs that plug into the valve cover gaskets, that should give you an idea of what your glow plugs are like. Or, it could be the glow plug relay itself. These engines have a pretty low compression ratio for a diesel ( to help control NOx emissions I'm sure ) and often need the glow plugs to start the engine even in the summer months. Or, you could just plug the block heater in for a few hours and that should be enough for the engine to start on its own, if that's the problem. I don't remember exactly what the resistance should be on the glow plugs but it should be but I don't think its much more than 1 ohm. When mine were bad they tested as open.
Thanks ill give it a shot and if this dont work im going to put a cummins in it for sure.

FSG Transport LLC
West Alexandria, Ohio
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
DIXIENORMOUS 4X4
Threadstarter

Garage
sorry, been working to hard but this was the problem. When the previous owner had it it had a short on the glow plug harness then the glow plug got too hot, snaped off, then beat the hell out of the piston my PSD

FSG Transport LLC
West Alexandria, Ohio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode