Opinions on what mods and products to use - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by stormtrooper, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 2829 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
LLROT

Garage
Opinions on what mods and products to use

I just have some basic questions.

I want to upgrade my brakes and was wondering what y'all have discovered to be great for a great price.
As well as shocks.
And what are good mods to change other than tuner and lifts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
LLROT
Threadstarter

Garage
I guess I am looking for best quality for price and what is the best stock transmission out of the 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7? Or is it best to rebuild or buy aftermarket?

'02 F250 with the legendary 7.3L. DP tuner, DIY dual Spectre Diesel Cone air intake, 6" lift with front level, RedHead steering gear, 37x13.5r20 Toyo Open Country MTs, Fuel Hostage rims, straight stock exhaust, custom built rear bumper.

Future mods: rear locker, 4.30s or possibly 4.56s, iron bull front bumper, injectors, ccv mod, turbo rebuild from turboworx, onboard compressor.....

Looking for more mods and upgrades. Feel free to suggest improvements
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 03:51 AM

People have varied opinions about brakes. Some have good luck with parts store brakes, while others are not even happy with higher performance brakes, such as Hawks.

When it comes to shocks... Bilstein 5100 series hands down. I have not found a better shock out there.

As far as transmissions go... With a 7.3L you are stuck with a 4R100. There are a few very reputable transmission shops that build them very good though. BTS and John Wood are the main two that come to mind.

DP-Tuner
For Your Tuning Needs
www.dp-tuner.com
Like us on Facebook!

Justin Bochmann
Sales and Technical Support
828-221-0076 ext.804
[email protected]
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
LLROT
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
People have varied opinions about brakes. Some have good luck with parts store brakes, while others are not even happy with higher performance brakes, such as Hawks.

When it comes to shocks... Bilstein 5100 series hands down. I have not found a better shock out there.

As far as transmissions go... With a 7.3L you are stuck with a 4R100. There are a few very reputable transmission shops that build them very good though. BTS and John Wood are the main two that come to mind.
Thanks Justin. I had looked at Powerstop front and rear disks and pads. They're $385.59 for the whole set.

I was thinking I "needed" a dual shock, or more wanted to do a coil over transfer. But everyone tells me its about 5,000 bucks.

I had read that at least the 6.0 tranny could be compatible with an adapter plate? My tranny doesn't need to be changed anytime soon. I'd just like to know for the future on that one

'02 F250 with the legendary 7.3L. DP tuner, DIY dual Spectre Diesel Cone air intake, 6" lift with front level, RedHead steering gear, 37x13.5r20 Toyo Open Country MTs, Fuel Hostage rims, straight stock exhaust, custom built rear bumper.

Future mods: rear locker, 4.30s or possibly 4.56s, iron bull front bumper, injectors, ccv mod, turbo rebuild from turboworx, onboard compressor.....

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post
Thanks Justin. I had looked at Powerstop front and rear disks and pads. They're $385.59 for the whole set.

I was thinking I "needed" a dual shock, or more wanted to do a coil over transfer. But everyone tells me its about 5,000 bucks.

I had read that at least the 6.0 tranny could be compatible with an adapter plate? My tranny doesn't need to be changed anytime soon. I'd just like to know for the future on that one
Give those brakes a shot I am sure they will be an upgrade from any standard ones.

No need for a dual shock. A coil over swap will definitely cost some $$$. They ride nice, but it is hard to justify the cost.

The 6.0 transmission(5R110) is a completely different beast. It has a TCM whereas the 7.3L doesn't. A lot of guys are swapping the 4R100 into 6.0L trucks, but not vise versa.

DP-Tuner
For Your Tuning Needs
www.dp-tuner.com
Like us on Facebook!

Justin Bochmann
828-221-0076 ext.804
[email protected]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
LLROT
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The 6.0 transmission(5R110) is a completely different beast. It has a TCM whereas the 7.3L doesn't. A lot of guys are swapping the 4R100 into 6.0L trucks, but not vise versa.
I knew about the TCM and figured it could be brought in as well. But I'll stick with the 4R100. Thanks again for the help

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post
I knew about the TCM and figured it could be brought in as well. But I'll stick with the 4R100. Thanks again for the help
Yeah, just get the 4R100 built. There is nothing wrong with that transmission.

No problem, let me know if you ever need anything.

DP-Tuner
For Your Tuning Needs
www.dp-tuner.com
Like us on Facebook!

Justin Bochmann
828-221-0076 ext.804
[email protected]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
LLROT
Threadstarter

Garage
Does anyone know of a one piece headlight that fits directly into a 2002? With no cutting it trimming

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
LLROT
Threadstarter

Garage
The brakes I ended up going with were the Powerstop Extreme Truck and Tow, semi-metallic. I read somewhere that ceramic last longer but damage your rotors faster. These are drilled and slotted rotors so no thanks.
Stopping power when cold is about the same as the stock ones. But when you've been running around a while, these brakes stop pretty damn well. Good when hot!

Tags
brakes, mods, shocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode