Friend has a problem in his 7.3 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by lilgsx, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 680 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Friend has a problem in his 7.3

Off of our race car site, it's A 2002 powerstroke 7.3

I feel so dumb about diesel but I guess I am.

This year I have to plug the ***** in anytime it gets near freezing. Takes forever to warm up and be able to drive. Runs on 5 or 7 seven cylinders when warming up.

Also I used to be able to jump in it when when it was cold and start driving no problem. Now if it doesn't warm up for at least ten minutes (when it gets near feezing) it will stall on me and not want to restart unless I crank for 20 seconds. Feels like a flooded gas engine.

I am suspecting glow plugs.

But also sometimes when almost warm when you hammer on it it starts running on 7 cylinders.

I've been kinda living with the problem all winter, but today I hadn't driven the truck in 2 days and when I went to start it, it took 3 attempts, and then it would alternately stall every 5 minutes 4 times while running like a ****ing pail, then was behaving like a ***** not wanting to restart.

I've had it, I'm gonna tackle this thing next week and figure it out.

Thanks for any help.:HappyMugs

2006 PSD 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Got Diesel?

Send a message via AIM to WNYPA
My guess is a glow plug relay on top of the engine there are 2 round 4-post relays, If I remember correctly it is the rear most, but could be wrong. check both large posts for + voltage at key on engine off, but you'll want to be quick as they usually shut off after 10-30 seconds.

The other relay is for the air intake heater. (round plug at at front side of turbo x pipe. Compressor side.

Look for a napa GPR109 about 20 bucks, same part as ford but about 100$ cheaper, the bolt holes don't quite line up, but if you keep the small wires on the small posts, and the big wires on the big posts it will work fine!

2000 F-350 NVK5, XLT Island Blue 7.3 PSD 3:73LS Reg Cab LB, 151,000 mi. and counting! STOCK EXCEPT:BTS Transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler, AutoEnginuity 3.4, GI-normous, Home made Tymar, CCV mod, HX-MOD, Heater-plug mod, "Custom 6-pos Chip", Autometer Z-Series Gauge pod, Beans Stage 2 Single-Shots, Zerex G-05 Coolant, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X869/Sirius Satilite, 8" Fisher plow, 407.1 hp / 849.1 ftlbs 13.686 @96.69
In Proud Support of Fat Kid Pullers! Keep on Pullin Joe and Brian!!! :bow:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 09:40 PM

If you can, use a digital volt meter for the glow plug relay test. It's best if you have someone else turn the key so you can be ready to test. You should only have about .5 of a volt differance between the two posts.
If it's any more change the relay.

Good luck

DD

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 11:05 PM

I second the GPR
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 01:08 AM

is there any excessive smoke at startup?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the inputs I will pass it on!

2006 PSD 4X4
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 12:49 PM

I just tested one the other day that actually had 4 bad glow plugs. You can check these by unpluging the harness on each end of the valve cover and check the two outside prongs for open. (the two inside wires are injector wires 4 wires total on each plug, two plugs on each head) Easiest way is to hook a test light to positive voltage then touch your probe end of the light to each outside prog if it doesnt light up it is bad.. The posts are laid out in the corresponding order. Furthest back is that furthest back etc. drivers side cyl are 2468 pass side 1357

Josh Davis
32 Lugnuts, 4 gallons of rotella Syn, 5 gallons of coolant, Two Heads, 8 Pistons, 7 U-Joints, 8 Injectors and some exhaust.
You know you are doing something right when the Ford dealers call you for parts.
6.0L Ford
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR2w7Ciaut8
6.4L Ford
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KmgiQg4G8E
WWW.RIVERCITYDIESEL.COM
(309) 699-2488
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well I just call the guy( and woke him up) and told him what you guys said. He is going to join us on here also. He has his own shop up in Canada for race cars like mine. SO thanks agian. This guy can just about make anything also check it out. He may make a Intercooler (better then the Banks for my 6.0)
www.magnusmotorsports.com

2006 PSD 4X4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode