1995 Powerstroke stalling - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by FarmerMarc, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 1682 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Question 1995 Powerstroke stalling

A friend of mine is having an issue with his 1995 1 ton dually 2wd stalling after it has been running. The truck has 360, 000 kms (225, 000 miles).

He's a welder and bought it for a spare truck in case his main welding rig stops suddenly. The truck hasn't been ran or used a lot in the 6 months or so that he's had it. It was given a check over by an experienced diesel mechanic and a few glow plugs were replaced as well as the under valve cover wiring harnesses when he bought it. The truck was parked in early November with a full tank of winter fuel, he went to start it the other day and it fired right up and seemed to be running fine. However after idling for 20-25 minutes it stopped. Cranked for a while but then started up. The truck keeps dying after running for a bit, sometimes it runs for a couple minutes sometimes upwards of a half hour. When it dies it's just like someone turned the key off. Also, sometimes it takes an extended amount of cranking time to start, (10 seconds or more) sometimes it starts quite quickly.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm more used to the old mechanical Cummins in 2nd generation Dodges, so I don't really have a lot to offer on this problem. Fuel filter was changed at the same time the glow plugs were done. Off the top of my head I'd say it's a lift pump problem, but they don't usually come and go. Once they get weak the truck usually starts to power out and gets hard to start, no?

Appreciate any advice and/or comments!

Thanks!
Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 PM

Could be many things. Something could be sucked up in the fuel pickup tube, bad CPS, etc.

Do you have a way to monitor engine PID's?

DP-Tuner
For Your Tuning Needs
www.dp-tuner.com
Like us on Facebook!

Justin Bochmann
Sales and Technical Support
828-221-0076 ext.804
[email protected]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Could be many things. Something could be sucked up in the fuel pickup tube, bad CPS, etc.

Do you have a way to monitor engine PID's?
I have a cheapy OBDII scanner, but I kind of doubt that will work. I'm leaning towards the CPS, seems like the first thing to try.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:25 AM

CPS is cheap enough to just throw at it. You won't be out much if it doesn't fix the problem and you will have a spare.

DP-Tuner
For Your Tuning Needs
www.dp-tuner.com
Like us on Facebook!

Justin Bochmann
Sales and Technical Support
828-221-0076 ext.804
[email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode