2001 F250 7.3l Turbo Diesel Down....Help please. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Willard, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 3635 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

2001 F250 7.3l Turbo Diesel Down....Help please.

So I put on one of those Napa 6637 filters 6 months ago but used a crappy pipe between the filter and intake and last Thursday it collapsed under load and sucked some electrical tape into the turbo... made a bunch of noise....complete loss of boost...now I'm getting ready to replace my turbo.

Anyway my truck will start and Idle normally, no smoke or strange noises. However if I rev it up at all and the turbo engages(some noise but not loud) I get a puffs of white smoke... Please tell me this can come from the turbo itself and doesn't mean automatically that I dusted my rings...

I have found a 'used' turbo with 100k on it. what should I look for to make sure it's worth bolting on? We are talking $300 vs $800(for reman stock) which is a lot of $$ to me right now.

I am planning on replacing the stock exhaust soon, is this something I should do now? Any part I should do now since I already have the turbo off?

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
So I put on one of those Napa 6637 filters 6 months ago but used a crappy pipe between the filter and intake and last Thursday it collapsed under load and sucked some electrical tape into the turbo... made a bunch of noise....complete loss of boost...now I'm getting ready to replace my turbo.

Anyway my truck will start and Idle normally, no smoke or strange noises. However if I rev it up at all and the turbo engages(some noise but not loud) I get a puffs of white smoke... Please tell me this can come from the turbo itself and doesn't mean automatically that I dusted my rings...

I have found a 'used' turbo with 100k on it. what should I look for to make sure it's worth bolting on? We are talking $300 vs $800(for reman stock) which is a lot of $$ to me right now.

I am planning on replacing the stock exhaust soon, is this something I should do now? Any part I should do now since I already have the turbo off?

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Will
The white smoke can definitely come from the bad turbo if it is passing oil. How much play does the shaft have?

As for the used turbo... I would rebuild it before putting it on if I were you. It is not very expensive and it is fairly easy to do.

You can replace the exhaust at any time. It is not any easier or harder if the turbo is removed.

DP-Tuner
For Your Tuning Needs
www.dp-tuner.com
Like us on Facebook!

Justin Bochmann
Sales and Technical Support
828-221-0076 ext.804
[email protected]
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For this addition to TDG:
Willard (05-06-2013)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Rebuild the Turbo

So is there a reason not to rebuild the existing bad turbo? I didn't know they were "rebuild-able". I am a decent wrench but don't have a shop or special tools... just the standards but am willing to invest if I feel the need. ( I have rebuilt the fuel bowl and replaced the water pump already)

On the Turbo's...how do I tell if they are bad? Shaft play, fin damage, what else specifically should I look for?

If I rebuild it anything special I should do while I'm at it? Wicked Wheel or other upgrades?

I have one of your (F5-rotary switch) chips with a and am planning on having it burned soon with just the basics. Looking for MPG, Drive-ability, occasional rock climbing & mud play. Suggestions?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
So is there a reason not to rebuild the existing bad turbo? I didn't know they were "rebuild-able". I am a decent wrench but don't have a shop or special tools... just the standards but am willing to invest if I feel the need. ( I have rebuilt the fuel bowl and replaced the water pump already)

On the Turbo's...how do I tell if they are bad? Shaft play, fin damage, what else specifically should I look for?

If I rebuild it anything special I should do while I'm at it? Wicked Wheel or other upgrades?

I have one of your (F5-rotary switch) chips with a and am planning on having it burned soon with just the basics. Looking for MPG, Drive-ability, occasional rock climbing & mud play. Suggestions?
If the compressor or turbine wheels did not touch the housings then you can rebuild your old turbo. No special tools needed.

Shaft play is the main thing that signifies a bad turbo. A little bit of side to side play is okay/normal, but you should have no in and out play. Damaged fins on the compressor wheel do not necessarily mean the turbo is bad, but the wheel should be replaced if this is the case.

You can throw a WW on there if you are rebuilding it. You will only see a difference if you are experiencing surge.

Most people go with at least three tunes. This would include economy, tow, and performance. If you do not tow with the truck, a tow tune is not needed but is still good to have in case you ever hook up to something. Feel free to shoot me a PM or e-mail and we can go over what would work best for you needs.

DP-Tuner
For Your Tuning Needs
www.dp-tuner.com
Like us on Facebook!

Justin Bochmann
828-221-0076 ext.804
[email protected]
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For this addition to TDG:
Willard (05-07-2013)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Oil in Turbo

So I began the process last night (w/ kids around both ankles) of taking the turbo out. Once I got the molded intake boots off I can see the wheel is chipped up a bit. Getting further in I disconnected the "Y" pipe there is a puddle of oil in there that looks to be coming from the turbo... i also notice the breather tube under the molded boot (PCV valve?) on the intake side of the turbo has oil coming out of it, could this be where the oil is coming from? Am hoping this is a "good" sign that the burning oil isn't from toasted rings, but now I have another mystery of where the oil is actually coming from...

This is all the further I got (w/ kids around both ankles) but am ready to finish pulling the Turbo out tonight & breaking it down further.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
So I began the process last night (w/ kids around both ankles) of taking the turbo out. Once I got the molded intake boots off I can see the wheel is chipped up a bit. Getting further in I disconnected the "Y" pipe there is a puddle of oil in there that looks to be coming from the turbo... i also notice the breather tube under the molded boot (PCV valve?) on the intake side of the turbo has oil coming out of it, could this be where the oil is coming from? Am hoping this is a "good" sign that the burning oil isn't from toasted rings, but now I have another mystery of where the oil is actually coming from...

This is all the further I got (w/ kids around both ankles) but am ready to finish pulling the Turbo out tonight & breaking it down further.
Did you check for shaft play on the turbo first? The CCV is most definitely sending oil fumes/vapor through there and the Y pipe have oil in it regardless of if the turbo is bad or not. You can do the CCV mod to eliminate this.

DP-Tuner
For Your Tuning Needs
www.dp-tuner.com
Like us on Facebook!

Justin Bochmann
828-221-0076 ext.804
[email protected]
Willard (05-08-2013)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

A Little further in

Well after T-Ball last night I got to finish tearing it down. Got the Turbo removed despite that rear v-clamp giving me he!!. Anyway there was lots of side to side play in the shaft but very little in/out. Got a rebuild kit coming with a new wheel. Should I be doing the pedestal rebuild too? So far I just left it in. Thinking of doing the EBPV delete while I'm in there. And a LOT of Cleaning!!! will post back when I get further along.

Thanks Again!

Will
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Well after T-Ball last night I got to finish tearing it down. Got the Turbo removed despite that rear v-clamp giving me he!!. Anyway there was lots of side to side play in the shaft but very little in/out. Got a rebuild kit coming with a new wheel. Should I be doing the pedestal rebuild too? So far I just left it in. Thinking of doing the EBPV delete while I'm in there. And a LOT of Cleaning!!! will post back when I get further along.

Thanks Again!

Will
Yes, that rear v-band clamp is no fun. I usually use a flat blade screw driver and a hammer to break it loose.

You do not need to mess with the pedestal unless it is leaking.

DP-Tuner
For Your Tuning Needs
www.dp-tuner.com
Like us on Facebook!

Justin Bochmann
828-221-0076 ext.804
[email protected]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 11:27 PM

Wouldnít excessive blow by out of the oil filler (with cap removed) signify bad rings? I know itís not as definitive as a leak down test but itís simple and cheap. Excessive blow by could also be caused by bad o rings on the injectors too I believe. But then you would also have a dead or almost dead cylinder.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventhorizon View Post
Wouldnít excessive blow by out of the oil filler (with cap removed) signify bad rings? I know itís not as definitive as a leak down test but itís simple and cheap. Excessive blow by could also be caused by bad o rings on the injectors too I believe. But then you would also have a dead or almost dead cylinder.
It would have to get by the copper washer and all of the injector o-rings to be blowing by the injector. This is extremely unlikely and I have never personally seen this happen. You would definitely tell something was wrong though if this ever happened.

Blow-by is generally from combustion pressure going past the rings.

DP-Tuner
For Your Tuning Needs
www.dp-tuner.com
Like us on Facebook!

Justin Bochmann
828-221-0076 ext.804
[email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode