Doh! Anyone else do this while installing your DP? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by mcstiggens, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 1615 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Doh! Anyone else do this while installing your DP?

So I got my MBRP DP done in about two hrs. Not bad gauging from some of the horror stories I've heard. And I did it solo. I just used the sawzall to cut the stock DP and then the sawzall to cut the seam or pinch-weld thingy, then a digging bar to torque it outa the way and : Wa-la DONE!

However..... I was not able to take'er for a test drive cause, as much of a pain as the DP install was, I just HAD to make my life even MORE difficult.

While kneeling under the hood....all up on the DP zone where I'm concentrating on making space with a pry bar/sawzall etc., I managed to break off the plastic nipple on my radiator that connects the rubber hose to the overflow/filler bottle. Yea, you know the one........pretty important....
SO, the question is, is there a crafty fix for this? I'm guessing JB Weld might be too hoopty a fix in this case.
Any suggestions...other than plop down a few hundred for a new radiator?
Anyone done this yet or am I first?

Much thanks,
Mcstiggs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Just learnin and waitin..

I definitely did the exact same thing. So don't feel too bad. It was 6 years ago though, and don't remembereexactly what we did to fix it. But I'm almost positive it was jb weld. I'll ask my brother when I get home and get back to you. But mine has held since then. So you definitely shouldn't end IP buying a radiator

'96 F-250 SC LB 4x4 Auto, DP F5 80 tow high alt 80 econo 120 race, TC lockup switch, ICP mod, 4" Mbrp duals, 3" dp
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Just learnin and waitin..

So on mine we cleaned it up and tapped it with a 1/8 tap and used a 1/8 pipe nipple on it with some epoxy. I didn't have time to take a picture of it. But i will later on.

'96 F-250 SC LB 4x4 Auto, DP F5 80 tow high alt 80 econo 120 race, TC lockup switch, ICP mod, 4" Mbrp duals, 3" dp
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thhanks for the Tip

Here's what I done,

I used the JB Weld that is specific for uses around water, chemicals, etc. I think It's called "Water Weld". I used that to form up a 'Volcano' like mound around a lubed drill bit that was inserted into the hole in the radiator. Then I pulled the bit out and flattened the mound out a bit. So now after it cured, I had a perfect pilot hole to start with. I was able to use the 1/8" pipe thread tap and drill bit that I'd recently acquired to use for my gauge install.

It seemed to work just fine. Not rock solid at first, so I took an extra bit of JB and built it up a little thicker around the brass fitting once it had cured. I think It will work just fine......as long as I keep my knee away from it.

Time will tell.

Mcstiggs
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 03:06 AM

I did it the same thing on a different truck. Drilled it out and tapped it to 1/8" pipe and installed a brass hose barb. Used a bunch of pipe dope on it too. Then there was another radiator I did the same thing on and that one I just used JB weld to reattach the broken piece. Then let it set overnight. Neither of them have had any issues but I kinda trust the one with the pipe tap a little more. If you do a google search, there is a youtube video of a guy showing how to fix a busted nipple on a 6.0L PSD radiator. He used the drill and tap method.

'94 F250xlt ext. cab. ZF5-speed 4x4. EBPV delete. DPP downpipe. Tymar intake. Tymar coolant filter. LF9691 primary filter. Electric fans. 10k mod. 1.0 turbo housing. Boost blanket. Over-axle exhaust eliminated. Electric fuel pressure gauge. BDP modded IDM. Heim joint clutch linkage. Adrenaline HPOP. LUK SMFW. DIY Elec. Fuel. FS1282, FF5230 fuel filters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode