Clicking but no start, please help - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by powerstrokin8, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 1462 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Clicking but no start, please help

02 F250 4x4 7.3L no mods other than DIY air intake. I was driving Saturday and it was running fine, went home for an hour and it wouldn't start, all my gauges come on and all electrics work. Tried jumping even though the batteries are fine, no blown fuses, tried swapping relays, got underneath the truck while the wife tried to start and tried hitting the starter; nothing (all I hear is clicking), could it be the starter or I read something about the shifter position sensor, how would I go about checking that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 09:25 AM

First off, have you tried to start the truck in neutral? Give that a try and see what happens. If it doesn't and you want to check the alignment of the gear selector...put the truck into the neutral selection. Then crawl under the truck and on the drivers side you will see the shift linkage. There should be two small lines (one on the attachment to the cab cable, the other mounted to the attachment on the tranny) that are lined up. If they are not...I believe it is just loosening up a bolt to adjust cable so that the neutral lines are lined up. Once done...tighten back up.

I know those are not the official terms...and at 4:30am my mind just isnt clicking on all 8 cylinders.

~Dave~

2012 F350 KR Dually, stock...bone stock.

early 99 PSD CC F250, DP Tuner F-5, Stealth Stage I, Casserly 160cc singles, Monsterbox Tranny, MBRP cool duals, ITP Regulated fuel system, Cobalts and Performax gauges, and way to much else to remember right now. **traded**

2004 Excursion Limited 6.0L, Dipricol gauges on the A-Pillar, Bilsteins and BFG's on the corners, lost EGR (not looking hard for it either), ARP studs, RCD Black Onyx head gaskets, MBRP 4" exhaust, (labor performed by Dan @ Midwest Transmission) **giggled when traded**

Quote:
I'm pretty good at drinkin beer -Billy Currington
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:14 PM

If it's clicking, where's the clicking happening? Under the hood, or down near the starter? Either way, if something clicks, then it's likely the range switch on the trans is ok.... If you have a test light, have your wife turn the ignition to the start position, and using the test light-check that power is getting to the small wire on the starter solenoid; if it is, then the trans range switch is functioning, and you have either a bad starter or a bad connection right at the starter...
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 02:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokin8 View Post
02 F250 4x4 7.3L no mods other than DIY air intake. I was driving Saturday and it was running fine, went home for an hour and it wouldn't start, all my gauges come on and all electrics work. Tried jumping even though the batteries are fine, no blown fuses, tried swapping relays, got underneath the truck while the wife tried to start and tried hitting the starter; nothing (all I hear is clicking), could it be the starter or I read something about the shifter position sensor, how would I go about checking that.
had the same thing happen about a year ago.

I went through the following:
-installed a new wire harness (battery to battery) as the old one had some pretty bad corrosion
-installed new batteries
-installed new DP Electric starter - evne had it re-built
-installed new starter solenoid

These seemed to fix the issue - for a while, then the "click no start" started again. At times I was able to jump the starter from the battery/starter solenoid, other times I could just turn the key over (like a regular gas car) w/o waiting for the wait to start light - and often it would fire up.

It did it again last weekend and just wouldn't start- even from the starter solenoid. Took it to the shop for a diagnosis and was getting power to the starter. Shop installed a new starter and voila! problem solved.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode