Good chip for MPGs - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by AUGSX, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 966 times.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member #24
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,199
Points: 24,995
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good chip for MPGs

What a good inexpensive chip with good returns in MPG for the 7.3?

Thanks,

AUG

2005 Excursion 6.0 4X4 EB 4" MBRP Turbo back 5" tip, Zoodad, Steveracer, Stryker 490 CB(with mods of course), Wilson 5000, Bully Dog outlook monitor, DR 3" lift W/ Bilstien Shocks, U and mod B codes, DR Dual Steering Stabilizer, Billet Badges, 05 Powerstroke Badges, Weld Cheyennes 18x10, Mickey Thomspon 325/60-18's, DynaMated interior, Strobes, Train horns, 30mm rear sway bar, HIDs in Headlights, Fogs and backups, AIRAID Intake system, Randy Ellis light bar, 4 KC lights, oilgaurd, FASS, LED markers, Bean's 190cc Injectors, Bean's Turbo, ARP Headstuds, SCT By Kermit, Custom Fuel System, More to come...
:grd

14.109 @ 95.96mph best 1/4 for now, Oh ya @ 8520lbs
Worlds Fastest and Quickest Super Heavy Weight Excursion.
"Can You Keep Up?"
AUGSX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Supporting Vendor
 
SeeYa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,154
Points: 50,891
Thanks: 131
Thanked 76 Times in 39 Posts
Images: 1
Aug,

If you are only wanting 1 program you can get a 1 position chip. That will be the least expensive, IMHO. Pm coming your way.
SeeYa is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 01:15 AM
Slow 6.0
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Salem, NH
Posts: 1,554
Points: 42,490
Thanks: 30
Thanked 59 Times in 46 Posts
variable ICP resistor mod. gained 3mpg on my 99. i usually average 14-15 now, high way is 18-19.

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
ARP Studs, Blocked EGR Cooler, MBRP 304SS Cool Duals, 03 Turbo, Coolant Filter Kit, PCM Flashed Back & Innovative Extreme Tunes - 13.3 @ 99
SICKS-O is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 01:43 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 388
Points: 4,725
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im runnin a ts perf.6 pos. chip. im averaging 17-20 mpg on hwy. ive got 2002 7.3...
imported_hotrod is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 03:03 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,838
Points: 31,699
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Stroke
variable ICP resistor mod. gained 3mpg on my 99. i usually average 14-15 now, high way is 18-19.
that works i got it done to mine only thing though when you got it on the highest power setting your idle will get a little wierd
DBogo is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 05:05 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 325
Points: 2,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGSX
What a good inexpensive chip with good returns in MPG for the 7.3?

Thanks,

AUG
a wooden one

put it under the gas pedal


i get pretty good fuel milleage with my evolution on the 80 hp setting... but still slowing down is the best way to increase fuel economy
JLayne is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member #24
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,199
Points: 24,995
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Stroke
variable ICP resistor mod. gained 3mpg on my 99. i usually average 14-15 now, high way is 18-19.

Were do I get one?

2005 Excursion 6.0 4X4 EB 4" MBRP Turbo back 5" tip, Zoodad, Steveracer, Stryker 490 CB(with mods of course), Wilson 5000, Bully Dog outlook monitor, DR 3" lift W/ Bilstien Shocks, U and mod B codes, DR Dual Steering Stabilizer, Billet Badges, 05 Powerstroke Badges, Weld Cheyennes 18x10, Mickey Thomspon 325/60-18's, DynaMated interior, Strobes, Train horns, 30mm rear sway bar, HIDs in Headlights, Fogs and backups, AIRAID Intake system, Randy Ellis light bar, 4 KC lights, oilgaurd, FASS, LED markers, Bean's 190cc Injectors, Bean's Turbo, ARP Headstuds, SCT By Kermit, Custom Fuel System, More to come...
:grd

14.109 @ 95.96mph best 1/4 for now, Oh ya @ 8520lbs
Worlds Fastest and Quickest Super Heavy Weight Excursion.
"Can You Keep Up?"
AUGSX is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 05:56 AM
Slow 6.0
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Salem, NH
Posts: 1,554
Points: 42,490
Thanks: 30
Thanked 59 Times in 46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGSX
Were do I get one?
well if u want to buy one EDGE sells a 300 dollar glorified resistor box, but its a direct plug in.

if u are crafty with electric stuff u can go to radio shack and get everything u need for under 20 bucks and have a nice little setup.

the ICP mod taps into 2 of the wires going to the injector control pressure sensor, a resistor is soldered to each wire, what this does is fools the computer into thinking that the oil pressure going to the injectors is low, there for it uses the IPR (injector pressure regulator) to increase the oil pressure until the computer gets the desired amount. in the end you end up having a few hundred psi more oil pressure going to the injectors which i believe forces the fuel out of the injector harder making it atomize better and i believe it may lengthen the pulse width as well. i know on mine if i go down to 3.3k resistance i get a little dusting of black smoke on hard acceleration.

most people use a 10k ohm 1/2 or 1/4 watt resistor, someone dynoed 30rwhp and 100ft lbs on their own truck with just a 10k. other people like me have installed a potentiometer in the dash that allows us to adjust the resistance on the fly. for instance in my truck around town i run it at 8.9k, the idle is a little higher then stock but it is smooth and there is a big power gain over stock. on the highway i turn the knob all the way over to the left which is 3.3k, the torque on this setting is unbelievable however the idle sucks that is why i only use it on the highway or when i race someone.

if your looking for increased mileage this is cheapest way to get it, like i said under 20 bucks and u get 2-3mpg more in my senario maybe even more if u go easier then i do and a big gain in performance.

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
ARP Studs, Blocked EGR Cooler, MBRP 304SS Cool Duals, 03 Turbo, Coolant Filter Kit, PCM Flashed Back & Innovative Extreme Tunes - 13.3 @ 99
SICKS-O is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 06:28 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 388
Points: 4,725
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Stroke
well if u want to buy one EDGE sells a 300 dollar glorified resistor box, but its a direct plug in.

if u are crafty with electric stuff u can go to radio shack and get everything u need for under 20 bucks and have a nice little setup.

the ICP mod taps into 2 of the wires going to the injector control pressure sensor, a resistor is soldered to each wire, what this does is fools the computer into thinking that the oil pressure going to the injectors is low, there for it uses the IPR (injector pressure regulator) to increase the oil pressure until the computer gets the desired amount. in the end you end up having a few hundred psi more oil pressure going to the injectors which i believe forces the fuel out of the injector harder making it atomize better and i believe it may lengthen the pulse width as well. i know on mine if i go down to 3.3k resistance i get a little dusting of black smoke on hard acceleration.

most people use a 10k ohm 1/2 or 1/4 watt resistor, someone dynoed 30rwhp and 100ft lbs on their own truck with just a 10k. other people like me have installed a potentiometer in the dash that allows us to adjust the resistance on the fly. for instance in my truck around town i run it at 8.9k, the idle is a little higher then stock but it is smooth and there is a big power gain over stock. on the highway i turn the knob all the way over to the left which is 3.3k, the torque on this setting is unbelievable however the idle sucks that is why i only use it on the highway or when i race someone.

if your looking for increased mileage this is cheapest way to get it, like i said under 20 bucks and u get 2-3mpg more in my senario maybe even more if u go easier then i do and a big gain in performance.
you got a digr.of that ...i might try it out on my'00...
imported_hotrod is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 148
Points: 19,173
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this the same thing?

http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Ford/ourfordstuff.htm

2000 F250 PSD, XLT, SC, LB, 4x4, auto: Autometer Nexus gauges, DIY-Injectors.com Stage III Hybrid injectors, BTS Transmission, H2E Turbo, DP Tuner F5 (stk, HI, 60t, 80e, 120r), 4" MBRP, AFE Stage 2 PG7
Cerebus is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome