The Diesel Garage banner

Cam Position Sensor ?'s

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  dfuser 
#1 ·
I've got an '01 F550 (truck in sig). Does a bad Cam Position Sensor give any symptoms?

#2 ·
I've had the CPS give out completely and the truck just die and I've also had it wear out little by little causing it to run rough and loose power slowely. The easiest way to tell if you're having problems is to pull codes. If you don't have a Superchips or other programmer that can do that you should buy one and check it out. If it works then your good to go. If it doesn't then you have a spare, you'll need it eventually.

#3 ·
dog3434 said:
I've had the CPS give out completely and the truck just die and I've also had it wear out little by little causing it to run rough and loose power slowely. The easiest way to tell if you're having problems is to pull codes. If you don't have a Superchips or other programmer that can do that you should buy one and check it out. If it works then your good to go. If it doesn't then you have a spare, you'll need it eventually.

:agreed: :agreed:

#4 ·
I've heard something about slow to start and Tach not moving while starting the truck. Any truth to this?

#7 ·
Puller 250 said:
I was told if it is a cps when you crank the engine and the tack jumps then it is the cps that is what mine did
Ah ha, so I was either misinformed or misinterpreted what I was told.LOL

#9 ·
Mostly, I've heard that you'd notice the truck dying after a short warm up. Let 'er cool off and maybe start again. Even heard about one feller took his truck to the Frd dlr who charged him to diagnose the truck, fixed nothing. Truck died on the way home from the dlr! Best bet, keep a spare and a 10mm socket! :shrug:

#10 ·
the tach is a good indicator in the early trucks because the tach gets its signal from the CPS so if the tach moves then good signal from the CPS. If it doesn't then it's bad. The problem is that somwhere in the model years of the SD they changed where the tach gets the signal from so it will not register until the engine is actually running anyway. If memory serves me correctly it's somewhere in the '02 model year, but I'm not ceritan about that.

Some of the symptoms that people have noted on other boards are a skipping in the idle or other odd erratic problem, dying for split seconds while you're driving down the road, some report dying completely once you get to the side of the road it'll start back up but may die in a few hundred feet.

For reference part numbers
(Ford) F6TZ-12K073-A 94-96
(Ford) F7TZ-12K073-A 97+
(International) 1821720C99 (below engine 375548)
(International) 1825899C93 (above engine 375548)
(International) 1807339C92 DT466E model reported to advance timing and better signal.

For reference you can use any CPS in any PSD the difference is the material of the electrical contacts. The material in the wiring harness was changed. When electrical current is passed through dissimilar metals corrosion occours. The corrosion occours very slowly so for a short term answer you can use any or for long term use use some dielectric grease on the contacts and there will be no problems.

#11 ·
Symptoms that I had was just a dead miss as you were driving. Would shut off for a split second and then continue on. Would do this like once every two or three weeks, then did it 5 times in one afternoon on the way home from work(abt 7mile trip). Changed it that evening and running fine ever since.

#12 ·
edmguy69 said:
Symptoms that I had was just a dead miss as you were driving. Would shut off for a split second and then continue on. Would do this like once every two or three weeks, then did it 5 times in one afternoon on the way home from work(abt 7mile trip). Changed it that evening and running fine ever since.
That is a very common problem with the CPS. I have seen at least 3 do this in the last few weeks. Not sure if the change of weather has anything to do with it.

I keep an extra in the truck at all times.

We have them in stock if anyone is looking for one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.