NewB to diesel's looking for suggestions.... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Waveblaster785, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 809 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

NewB to diesel's looking for suggestions....

Hey guys, I recently acquired at 1997 (older body style) F250 with the 7.3 Powerstroke. I've had the entire truck gone over, new filters, tuned up and so forth, has about 120k on it, really nothing IMO for a diesel.

I MOD everything....can't help it, and am looking for suggestions for a nice chip, filter and exhaust. Nothing too crazy, but enough to notice a substantial difference. When I had my lightning I used power surge performance, he told me he could tune my old chip, but I think with this truck I wouldn't mind a generic programmer or chip. I looked at diesel innovations and a few others, any input would be great.

Also, what intakes are people running and what exhaust? Bassani, magnaflow, so forth....

The truck will mostly be used to go back and forth around town, occassionally tow my jet skis, and maybe my vette down the road.

Thanks everyone in advance for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 03:54 PM

I had a 97, loved it, my favorite truck! Anyway a 3" downpipe to a 4" system will really help! Then any intake, tymar is very popular and cheap! I'm not really up to speed on intakes for the OBS. Chips, well any of the guys out there are great! DI, DP, TS, I'm running a DI chip right now and it's the best yet!

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
I had a 97, loved it, my favorite truck! Anyway a 3" downpipe to a 4" system will really help! Then any intake, tymar is very popular and cheap! I'm not really up to speed on intakes for the OBS. Chips, well any of the guys out there are great! DI, DP, TS, I'm running a DI chip right now and it's the best yet!

Thanks. I know DI is diesel innovations, and DP is DP tuner, what are the others??

What kind of programs are you running from DI?? I'm really not as familiar with the truck as I should be, it's the first diesel I've modded.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 04:15 PM
STROKIN' IT

Send a message via AIM to BigWhite250
TS Performance baby! i got one and wouldn't trade it off for anything!!!

2000 F-250 cc Super Duty, TS Performance 6 pos, Exhaust, AFE intake, in dash tv/dvd/mp3, Memphis 12" sub in ported box, 20x10" Mazzi Hulks with 305-55-20 Toyo Open Country A/T's, APC projector headlights, Chrome wheel-to-wheel nerf bars...uhmm plenty of other B/S! :evil:
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 04:44 PM

TS performance, there a sponser. I'm running Hi idle, stock, 50, 75, 125, and 140. I run around in the 125 setting most of the time.

I ran a superchips programer on my 97 and was very happy with the performance of it... But that was a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97 psd.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	4497  

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
TS performance, there a sponser. I'm running Hi idle, stock, 50, 75, 125, and 140. I run around in the 125 setting most of the time.

I ran a superchips programer on my 97 and was very happy with the performance of it... But that was a few years ago.

Whats the benefit of the high idle, just less time to get in the power band and hit boost??

Sorry for all the newB questions. I always get annoyed at the new guys on my forums, lol, and now I am that guy.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 05:47 PM
4cstr

Don't appologize for the questions.

The high idle is mainly for us guys that live in the northern...ie cold...climates. You can turn the truck up to high idle to get it to warm up faster. When you are ready to go you just turn the dial to the power setting that you wish.

And welcome to the garage.

Dave
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 05:48 PM

Hi idle is for when I leave my truck running at the job, or when warming in the morning, or to keep the AC cold in the summer. When idleing for extended times you can "wet stack" fuel deposits on the valves leading to valve damage. VERY RARE but cheap ins!

There are no dumb questions!!!

DANG YOU!!! BEAT ME TOO IT!!! WELCOME!!!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 07:27 PM
BJS

Welcome to the garage.

the tymar type intake is the cheapest and provides a good clean seal on intake which is a problem for the factor air housings especially when you start pulling more air with higher boost levels. You can build your own with a band clamp (not a worm gear clamp) a 6" section of 4" diameter of 45° exhaust pipe and the air filter Part numbers
(Baldwin) PA2818
(Donaldson) B085011
(Fleetguard) AH1141
(Napa) 54-6637

As for exhaust. a 3" downpipe is most common there are some that are available that will expand after passing the firewall pinchweld to 4" but are only needed if you are going for all out performance. Most mfg's require you to possibly bend the pinchweld others require floorboad modifications. I am running a downpipe from DPP and love how it went in and the results. The rest of my system is stock save a gutless kitty. The stock muffler is a straight through design and works fairly well. I'll eventually upgrade to a 4" system but since I can keep my egt's controllable with stage 1 injectors with what I have I'm not in a big hurry.

Chips- A multitude of choices exist the most common have been named above, right now I'm trying a program from Performance Injection Systems. As far as using the same chip mfg as you did for your lightning... unless he knows diesels well then don't waste your time & $$ the "off the shelf" programs are so wide and varied for the 7.3 that you're splitting hairs getting it custom programmed which needs to be done on a track or on a Dyno.

95 F350 Centurion Conversion Bronco (Crew Cab SRW) 4X4 4.10, Isspro Performax Boost, Pyro, & trans temp on the A-pillar, BDP Stage 1 injectors, Open air intake, Dpp Downpipe, Self built E4OD with parts from Racer-X, Tony Wildman Chip, Early '99 Intercooler.

Destin FL Vacation Houses 1 block from the beach
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Any of you guys run the trucks at the track??

Any prediction what a 7.3 with a 3" Downpipe, 4" exhaust, possibly no cat, intake, a tune and exhaust should run??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode