need help on the road - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by DieselDadio, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 534 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Question need help on the road

on a long trip from colo. to calif. about third tank of fuel filled up to the tippy top of both tanks. took off and didnt bother looking at front tank gauge reading, it read empty, i just had filled it. switched too rear and all is well. is it a bad sending unit? or broken wire? i can drive about 200 miles on that tank. what if i drive too far and run that tank to empty will it hurt? or start back up ok? its not the end of the world, just a P.I.A. thinking may an easy fix and i can do it before i head back to colo. thanks in advance kirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 03:10 AM

Two questions for you. Was the truck running while it's wa being filled up and wsa it on the front tank while filling up?

I read on the net a couple years ago that if the truck is left running while filling up, it takes a few miles for the gauge needle to come up to full. I don't remember how many miles before the needle came up though.

Keep us posted on if anything changes.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

yes and i drove for 10 more hrs. when you switch to back tank its full when you switch to front drops to empty have checked several times thanks kirk
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 05:04 AM

fuel sender

I had a sender go bad on my truck 3 years ago. It was a pita to drop the fuel tank,get a special tool to remove fuel lines, get a 'complete' sender from Ford, and reassemble. Now I have heard that someone at another forum had found a source for the sender at the lower end of the 'complete unit. Another person found a source of sending units that were cheaper and better made to replace the unit on the front tank. I don't think it was Isspro. Someone else. Cost was $125 or thereabouts. Now the one in the rear tank did give me a few bad readings last year but it did straighten itself out after I said a few choice words at it. If I can remember the words that worked I will send them to you and let you have a try at it. Sorry for the bad news.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

well back from the trip 2668 miles averaged 18.325 mpg at between 70-80 all in all a pretty satisfying trip except for the sending unit i did however notice after 100 miles or so you could see the needle move around corners and stuff so im hoping it just broke and can be fixed :shrug: thanks kirk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode