Bad new, its the Injector Control Module - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by dog3434, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 26122 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Bad new, its the Injector Control Module

Ok, I broke down and had the truck towed to the garage today. Within an hour the mechanic called to say its got a bad Injector Control Module. He said it wasn't communicating with one side of the motor so one who bank of injectors wasn't firing. I know nothing about this part other than the basics of what it does. Can anyone enlighten me on its location and procedure for replacement.

The mechanic says he will replace the module with a new, off the shelf, modual from Ford for $880 but that includes $80 for the diagnostic. He's offered to find a used module and install it for $600 total including the diagnostic. I have no idea if these are good deal but $800 is hard to deal with right now and a used module is very scary.

How much should the module run for me to purchase. Is there an aftermarket module I should be looking at? Can I do this myself? I had the engine down to the valve covers this morning with no problems. It's not much harder than that is it?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:09 AM
RSP
Rockin-S

Take it home and do it yourself, Its in the drivers fender and you can get to it by taking the inner fender loose. Then it is held in with 2 bolts. It takes a 10mm socket. Look on Ebay and buy a used one for $250 or less. Unless you just have to have it now, If you do then your gonna pay big bucks for a new. They are $750+
Walk in at Ford.

97 F350 PSD Crew Cab 4X4 Almost Stock :umno:
79 F250 CTD Super Cab 4X4 Almost Stock
79 F150 Reg Cab 4X4 Whimpy 512 CI BigBlock Some day it will be a CTD too
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
I'd be very careful about buying a used one. There is one sitting on the desk at work right now from a guy that bought one off ebay and it didn't work. Dipaco is now selling remans. They are $550 includeing at $150 core charge so once you send your core back it will only be about $400 for the part. That's WAY better than getting raped for a new one from Ford!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 02:53 AM
Git-R-Done

I would not let the guy replace the IDM so quickly. I would do a little more investigating first. If I was a betting man I would prolly guess you have a UVC harness that has come unplugged. I could be wrong about this as it is always possible the IDM took a crap on you but if UVC harness has come unplugged it will throw a IDM code.

You will need to find out which bank is showing dead and pull that valve cover and check the connection. You can also check from outside the valve cover by ohming the GP pins.

I would deffinantly go this route first just to be sure but as I said I also could be wrong.

For what it's worth, I just had a 2000 in the shop Tuesday with one dead bank and throwing a IDM code and the UVC hareness had came unplugged and that was all that was wrong with it.

Good Luck

SLAPS Member

1996 F250 Ext. Cab 5spd. Power Stroke
1999 F250 Ext. Cab Automatic 4x4 Power Stroke
1993 RAM 350 Club Cab Automatic Dually Cummins
1993 RAM 350 Club Cab 5spd 4x4 Dually Cummins
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 03:01 AM
The Big Meanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95psdF250
I would not let the guy replace the IDM so quickly. I would do a little more investigating first. If I was a betting man I would prolly guess you have a UVC harness that has come unplugged... if UVC harness has come unplugged it will throw a IDM code.

FULLY AGREED.......a couple years ago, my truck went to the shop cause it wsa running on 4 cylinders. they pulled codes, IDM showed up. they put a new one in, still did it...........looked more, and the harness under the valve cover was fried........I was ready to the guys at the dealership, electrical part so I STILL had to pay for the new IDM.........total bill on that for the IDM and harness and labor was $1600............

kevin

1996 Dodge 3500 Ex. Cab LB Wide Hipper
Boys Stroke It...Men RAM It
Dually Club Member
Farm Club Member
If I Get Caught Drunk On My Horse, Is It A DUI Or A RUI???

I Got A Named Bubba
In Progress...
FOREVER FARMS
What Is A Farm With No Barns?

Quote:
[Today 9:22 PM] GrnMachineLover: I just think diesels in cars are funny
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 03:26 AM
Got Diesel?

Send a message via AIM to WNYPA
I would've requested my old one back and threw it through their front window.

I agree with the above I've seen a whole lot of injector and IDM codes in my time, never seen a bad IDM, I know they do go bad, but not very often.

2000 F-350 NVK5, XLT Island Blue 7.3 PSD 3:73LS Reg Cab LB, 151,000 mi. and counting! STOCK EXCEPT:BTS Transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler, AutoEnginuity 3.4, GI-normous, Home made Tymar, CCV mod, HX-MOD, Heater-plug mod, "Custom 6-pos Chip", Autometer Z-Series Gauge pod, Beans Stage 2 Single-Shots, Zerex G-05 Coolant, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X869/Sirius Satilite, 8" Fisher plow, 407.1 hp / 849.1 ftlbs 13.686 @96.69
In Proud Support of Fat Kid Pullers! Keep on Pullin Joe and Brian!!! :bow:
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 05:02 AM
Finger Lickin GOOD!!!

In case it is the IDM, Ive got 2 used ones that I have tested myself on my truck that are for sale. Just PM me if your interested.
I also have 1 bad one that sounds Kool when its running almost like its got a HUGE cam in it I call it the Add-A-Cam IDM :Thumbup:

JUst so everyone know all of the 7.3 are going out of warranty shortly so alot of the parts are going to go up in $$ believe it or not..

IF IT AINT SMOKIN' IT MUST BE BROKEN!!
2001 F-350 CC,Lwb,2wd, Police Interceptor Pkg, TS Performance Enhanced.

If you only new the truth.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 02:52 PM
RSP
Rockin-S

Quote:
JUst so everyone know all of the 7.3 are going out of warranty shortly
Huh? 2 years is Shortly?

97 F350 PSD Crew Cab 4X4 Almost Stock :umno:
79 F250 CTD Super Cab 4X4 Almost Stock
79 F150 Reg Cab 4X4 Whimpy 512 CI BigBlock Some day it will be a CTD too
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 04:56 PM

I have never seen a IDM fail on one bank. When they do fail, the truck usually will not start, or it will fail for 1 or 2 injectors, not 1 bank. I would also bet that it is the UVC harness. There are clips available for the UVC harness that will keep it from coming out again if you don't want to replace the whole harness. It's better than spending $60+ for the harness itself. That is more than likely the reason it will not communicate with one bank. It doesn't see that bank because the UVC is disconnected.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I spoke with the mechanic today. He used a SnapOn diagnostic that gives possible scenerios for the codes. He recieved codes related to the IDM and the CPS. He checked the GP pins for power on both sides. He said the IDM on the passenger side is passing good volts and has a steady signal. He told me the volts but I don't remember. The IDM on the right side is showing 1.3 volts that are very rough. He said he is sure the harness is connected as he could see juice running through it. Or something like that.

He also said the same thing some of you have said. He told me the IDM failing is a commom problem due to moisture. He said he has replace a few. I ask him about the offer to find a used part. He said they just get one from a wrecked truck and test it. He did recommend the new part as well. I've decided to go with a new IDM and have them install it. They come with good references, that I trust, and they said they would stick by their work.

Well see. Thanks for all the inputs. This problem had me really worried because the engine was replaced in October so it shouldn't be giving me problems. This was not an item that was replaced. tks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode