cackle! how to get rid of it? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by SICKS-O, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 4150 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Slow 6.0

cackle! how to get rid of it?

all right, ive had it with the cackle BS these things make, i want to cure the issue, so how do i go about doing so??

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
ARP Studs, Blocked EGR Cooler, MBRP 304SS Cool Duals, 03 Turbo, Coolant Filter Kit, PCM Flashed Back & Innovative Extreme Tunes - 13.3 @ 99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 01:25 AM
jammer

Well, here's some of the stuff I've heard:
  1. Eliminate air by sealing the tank side connection to the fuel pump
  2. Ford will tell you to install a LL in #8 injector hole
  3. Increase HPOP oil pressure
  4. Some have installed a crossover fuel line between the heads (firewall side)
  5. Use an additive (I personally like Diesel Kleen grey bottle - available at wally world)
  6. Do a WOT run to 80 at least once a week (gets the air out the fun way)
  7. Turn up the radio (cheapest )
Seriously, cackle can be a real bad issue. Contributes to cavitation (that ringing of the cylindar wall). If you have a bad case, you're loosing hp, fuel mileage and performance. IMHO getting the air out of the system will help a lot, use some fuel treatment also. Good luck, this can be a very long journey! Better have some brews ready! :HappyMugs

PSD #4 '95 loved it... '97 real POS...
2000 SC SB PSD E4OD 3.73 LS
2011 KR, loaded, Tuxedo Black/Adobe Best Yet!!

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Slow 6.0
Threadstarter

its so annoying, actually embarassing. would increasing fuel pressure help as well? i wonder if maybe my injectors are worn from the mileage and compounding the problem. my friends truck and my truck have like a metallic knock at idle, it seems like a common noise, its nothing serious ya know, but wtf is it? anyone else experience that?

isnt there a cross over pipe for the for the fuel to? or am i confusing that with the hpo cross over. how do those hpo cross overs work anyhow, just for cackle or what?

one thing i definitly noticed is to not run below a 1/4 of a tank, thats where the noises are at their worst.

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
ARP Studs, Blocked EGR Cooler, MBRP 304SS Cool Duals, 03 Turbo, Coolant Filter Kit, PCM Flashed Back & Innovative Extreme Tunes - 13.3 @ 99
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 05:46 AM

I know several guys that have this:

http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?c...on=show_detail

Quieted mine down alot!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Slow 6.0
Threadstarter

that looks worth while, inexpensive too. i noticed they have a regulated return kit that should really help, its expensive tho but might be worht it.
i have a brand new aeromotive fuel pump, its not an a1000 its a step below that, i think its rated for 800hp, i wonder if it would be worth it to install that in the truck.

2006 F350 XLT 4x4
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Stroke
that looks worth while, inexpensive too. i noticed they have a regulated return kit that should really help, its expensive tho but might be worht it.
i have a brand new aeromotive fuel pump, its not an a1000 its a step below that, i think its rated for 800hp, i wonder if it would be worth it to install that in the truck.
It wouldn't help with the noise. But a pre pump mod would. That is where you replace the factory hose fittings with diesel rated fuel line and good clamps, even double clamping. The factory fittings let in a small amount of air.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Stroke
Seems theres been alot of aftermarket pump failures, theres nothing wrong with running a stock superduty pump at all, I still am and still will be.

A regulated return will help out alot.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 03:15 PM

The crossover is my next mod, soon as I get some freakin money! My truck has the same knock you are talking about, and has had it since it was bought. I don't think its hurting anything since it's always been there, but I would definitely like to get rid of it, especially for 65.00 or so!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00turboPSD
The crossover is my next mod, soon as I get some freakin money! My truck has the same knock you are talking about, and has had it since it was bought. I don't think its hurting anything since it's always been there, but I would definitely like to get rid of it, especially for 65.00 or so!
A crossover wont get rid of the problem, the problem is with the fuel not the oil. A reg return will help alot--save up for that instead.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:20 PM
TDG Member Since 2004?

Garage
Mine quit cackling when I installed my DP Tuner chip. Seems to have something to do with having a stronger or more positive injector pulse.

-Evan

2000 Ford F250, Merillion, 6sp, AIC, DPTuner, BB turbo, Adreneline pump, modified IDM.

1998 Mercedes E300, Custom injector nozzles, soon to have Eaton M90 supercharger, 7.5mm pump elements, Holset HX40 turbo and a full custom intake and exhaust system = 400HP from 3.0l

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode