Engine Swap ..????? Pros vs. Cons - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by KillerQuad, this thread has received 24 replies and been viewed 1308 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Engine Swap ..????? Pros vs. Cons

Here is the run down....

I have a 2002 F250... not the powerstroke to Build unless you dig into her DEEP...

Well i have been thinking about a 1998.5-2002 Cummins Engine Swap to get about 500+HP for normal street driving.... I know there is a little here and there to do with the 500+HP for the cummy but it is what i want....

WELL.... The Kicker is.... i have a brand new Factory TECH Monster Box Automatic Tranny and i guess to get the Auto Tranny to bolt up to the Cummy it is going to take some TQ Converter work and im not sure what it consists of but the TQ Converter is already a Higher Perf. one and i dont want to hurt it....

Plus we have to look at the down time to get the engine to fit in the chassis and the tranny to work right, the cost of the enigne, the cost of the fab work, the cost of the THIS AND THAT to get the engine in, and then the performance stuff for the 500+HP out of the engine and the engine rebuild parts.....

THEN MY OTHER OPTION IS.....

Tear into the 02 STROKE and build it up to a 500+HP machine.... (120K and i think the engine has had dirt in it before..... DOH!!!!!!!)

Which one do you think is Cheaper, more Fuel Efficent, and streetable.... this is a DAILY Driver and i tow trailers to my races all over east of the Mississippi......

any suggestions would be very welcome and anyone with more knowledge of engine swaps or diesel engines period (everyone) than me will be greatly welcome..... :thanks: :Thumbup:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:12 PM

The Cummins would be a sweet swap, but the $$$ and fabracation is goin gto time consuming, I've heard $8000-$10,000 to do it right...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
The Cummins would be a sweet swap, but the $$$ and fabracation is goin gto time consuming, I've heard $8000-$10,000 to do it right...

But what is the cost to put new rods in the 02 PS and pistons, rings, maybe cylinder work.... compared to the Cummy....
the Cummins will run me $12500 for the kit, engine, and 500+HP set up... only lacking install... BUT, then i will have the tranny dillima and i was wanting to see what people thought would have to be done with that.....

Maybe what i need to ask is HOW BIG CAN The PS Go and still be Easily streetable....????
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:28 PM

500 is about the limit for a daily driver, I think Dock boy is right there with out all the juice... A Cummins can go to about 600 for a daily driver and still get good mileage and EGT's. Doesn't advanced adapters make a kit to adapt to the tranny?

If I had the truck and $$$ a Cummins would be right in there!!!

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to moose99psd
12,500$ Would Get U There With Ur Stroke I Believe.. Ur Lookin At Like 3k For Rods And Then A Girdle Just To Know The Bottom End Is Bullet Proof And Not Sure On Rings And Pistions... Ull Need A Bigger Turbo And Stuff... But I Think If U Were Going To Spend The Money For The Cummy On Just Motor And Such... It Would Prolly Be Easier For You To Build The Stroke.... Imho
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:53 PM

What is a cummy compared to a cummins? Is that like a smaller less HP version? : I would do a cummins conversion in my truck too if I had the dough, but really when you get down to it, it makes no sense to spend that kinda money converting a truck over. You might as well go buy you a new 07 when it comes out, or sell what you've got and buy a newer six oh. But chopping a truck up is really gonna kill the value of the truck, and I really would be hesitant on doing one as new as an 02. Maybe in an old 79 or something like that, that would be sweet, but a newer truck, ehhh, I'd sell it for more and go build you up a custom rig if you really want something special. And you don't have many miles on your truck, it's still worth quite a bit I would figure, depending on its condition. Just my opinion on the subject, but just imagine a brand new 06 or 07 compared to your 02 with a newer engine? What makes more sense? Whatever you decide, good luck and have fun! :HappyMugs
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 11:01 PM

Im with ^^, unless you have the time and money to do the swap. I know the Cummins is wrapped in garbage when you buy a dodge and a SD body with a Cummins is sweet, but have fun selling the thing in the future, if you are going to sell it.

Why not wait one more year till the 6.4 PSD comes out and see what it can do. :Thumbup:
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 11:26 PM
STROKIN' IT

Send a message via AIM to BigWhite250
i dont see why selling it would be such a problem.... everyone pretty much that i know would love to have a Cummins in their SD... i know if i found one for sale and someone had evidence that they built it right i would buy it in a heartbeat...(cuz noone wants to go buy a GOAT!! then it really wouldn't sell!!:roflmao: )

2000 F-250 cc Super Duty, TS Performance 6 pos, Exhaust, AFE intake, in dash tv/dvd/mp3, Memphis 12" sub in ported box, 20x10" Mazzi Hulks with 305-55-20 Toyo Open Country A/T's, APC projector headlights, Chrome wheel-to-wheel nerf bars...uhmm plenty of other B/S! :evil:
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 12:53 AM

if your going to do the cummins swap do a 12v it will be so much simplier and most likely cheaper, and the cummins will get better fuel economy then the stroker
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 01:00 AM

i dont think youd get 500hp for only 10k-12k, with a full build and all the supporting mods youd be closer to 20k or maybe more.

Luke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode