Driveline roar, loose driveshaft (can turn it 1/8th turn) - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ~CrazyDiesel~, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 2039 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Driveline roar, loose driveshaft (can turn it 1/8th turn)

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...5&o=31&fpart=1

That thread, and sorry to post the other site onhere, i hate that site, but thaty thread is pertient to my problem-

Ok, so for the past 2-3k there has been this wierd scratching noise that has been getting progressively worse, under any kind of load it is very very noticable, let off of the fuel, and it goes away, but as your coming to a stop, when the transmission slows down to engine rpm, the scratching commences again, totally stops when sitting still.

Engine off, in drive, rolling 35 mph, noise is present to a degree, but not bad.

engine off in neautral noise is less present, but still there.

engine off, transfer case in neautral, and transmission in neautral, naturally, no noise...

So, yesterday, i go up under the truck, grab the shaft, i have 3/4" to 1" up and down movement on the center bearing (beside the fuel tank) and about 1/8th- 1/4 turn counter and clockwise movement in the shaft, audible click in rear end and in the transfer case. I am relatively sure the up and down play is not acceptable, but what about the rotation? i can tell where the t case has leaked a little, or appears to have. I had originally thought that this noise was attributed to bad bearings in the front wheels, and really didnt worry about it, as i had planned on replacing the brakes in a couple months.

then i find all of this loose slop down in the shaft. makes a guy worry, ya know? this isn't gonna be cheap (the rotation slop)

truck has had an extremely loud CLUNK-BANG, for approximately 60,000 miles, in the 40-45 mph range,(ford says normal!) when you let off and get back on it, i am assuming the rotational slop has been there this entire time, and is nothing new. the U-joints are not where the slop is coming from, they may could use some grease however. If i can find my grease gun in the shop, i am going to go hit every ZERK i can find. (i know, it's overdue)

Thanks for time, and suggestions, Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 07:29 PM
BJS

The up down movement is not good and you need to replace your hangar bearing, not very expensive and is a DIY job if you mark the shaft and put it back together the same way. If you read directions it'll tell you to have it pressed off and back on, a large hammer works for off and you'll need the aforementioned hammer and a large socket that will hit the metal of teh bearing and then just smack the new one back on.

While you have the d-shaft out replace the u-joints.

For the play you need to figure out where it's coming from. I'd guess the rear end check the pinion nut to make sure it's tight. Check the backlash on the rear by jacking up one tire and see how far you can turn it before you hear the gears make contact and begin to move the driveshaft.

When you have the diveshaft out replacing the hangar bearing & u-joints check to see if you can turn the the trans or t-case output by hand with the truck in park.

95 F350 Centurion Conversion Bronco (Crew Cab SRW) 4X4 4.10, Isspro Performax Boost, Pyro, & trans temp on the A-pillar, BDP Stage 1 injectors, Open air intake, Dpp Downpipe, Self built E4OD with parts from Racer-X, Tony Wildman Chip, Early '99 Intercooler.

Destin FL Vacation Houses 1 block from the beach
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to moose99psd
Im Gunna Say That Becuase That Bearing Is Bad Its Going To Lead To Other Problems Driveline Wise.. That Up And Down Movement Is Going To Be A Vibration On The Bearings In The Rear And The T-case Replace That Bearing And Go From There.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

ok, i figured i was not supposed to have play in it. will advance auto parts have it?

I am extremely strapped for money right now, and it will be quite a few months before it gets better.

I am trying to buy a 1986 f-250 with 6.9 xlt lariat, and that truck is very important to me.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 12:57 PM
BJS

the bearing will be relatively inexpensive around $30 according to advance's website they have them they call it a driveshaft center support. Those bearings don't go out on a very regular basis unless you're on the fuel hard & heavy from a dead stop so the shaft sees a high level of torque. and would try to move sideways or if you've lifted the truck.

The center support bearing should have some play because it's a rubber isolated bearing but you're describing too much play. There should be about 1/2" total play that you can induce by hand. You should be able to look at the current support and see rubber that is cracked or broken.

95 F350 Centurion Conversion Bronco (Crew Cab SRW) 4X4 4.10, Isspro Performax Boost, Pyro, & trans temp on the A-pillar, BDP Stage 1 injectors, Open air intake, Dpp Downpipe, Self built E4OD with parts from Racer-X, Tony Wildman Chip, Early '99 Intercooler.

Destin FL Vacation Houses 1 block from the beach

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode