1995 Powerstroke excessive smoke - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Lunchbox, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 1271 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Lunchbox
1995 Powerstroke excessive smoke

Hey guys,

A while back I bought a 1995 Powerstroke that was putting fuel into the oil/smoking excessively.. Truck has 180xxx miles it.

What I have done so far:

Injectors were tested (all passed) and were re o-ringed
New injector cups
Found one "dead" cylinder, re-rung engine (all cylinders have around 400 pounds compression since re-ring at crank speed)
New fuel pump in valley
Cleaned out pressure regulator
New fuel filter

Now it smokes.. Much more than a haze.. Looks to be a white smoke. Seems to run fine, don't seem to be short on power. Smokes whether the truck is cold or warm. Smokes from start-up to shut down.

What am I overlooking?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

Last edited by Lunchbox; 11-23-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 06:10 PM

I am not an expert in the power strokes, but have worked on a few of them, You want to test all the glow plugs, I found that it takes very few not working to cause smoke at start up and loading the engine with fuel in the exhaust and the crankcase. It will then draw in extra fuel, from the crankcase breather, and burning off in the exhaust. I take it you have changed the valve cover gaskets. You can go onto the GB remanufaturing to get the pin outs from the injection actuator modual, looking for a poor conection.
Just a thought!

1988 ford van fresh overhaul, 1991 nissan pick-up 1993 Caprice 2000 GMC S10 Blaser 2007 nbs 3500 GMC 4x4 crew-cab long box 17 inch single wheels Duramax Alison. BW turnover Ball. Furakawa FL35 loader. Retired, HD mechanic, worked on engines all my life. Fabricator welder. electrician. in the process of finishing my new shop. Live in Rock Creek B.C. Wife has a fruit stand.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Send a message via MSN to Lunchbox
Sorry, I should have added that drivers side bank had a newer gasket etc when I purchased the truck (receipt from local NAPA was dated less than one year before I purchased the truck, and I know the truck had been sitting for 4-5 months when I purchased it for the gasket and 4 glow plugs and labor to install them.. You'd have to go back to my posts from long ago, but I bought this truck from a very good friend who had parked it after it started putting fuel into the oil pan)

I myself replaced the passenger side gasket when it was re-rung (one of the connectors was wiped out) and replaced the 4 passenger side glow plugs and tested all per service manual when motor was put back into my truck.

The glow plug relay is also NEW.. I somehow managed to crack the old one while setting the engine back into place.

I'm starting to feel like I been throwing money into a boat anchor here..

Brad
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox View Post
Sorry, I should have added that drivers side bank had a newer gasket etc when I purchased the truck (receipt from local NAPA was dated less than one year before I purchased the truck, and I know the truck had been sitting for 4-5 months when I purchased it for the gasket and 4 glow plugs and labor to install them.. You'd have to go back to my posts from long ago, but I bought this truck from a very good friend who had parked it after it started putting fuel into the oil pan)

I myself replaced the passenger side gasket when it was re-rung (one of the connectors was wiped out) and replaced the 4 passenger side glow plugs and tested all per service manual when motor was put back into my truck.

The glow plug relay is also NEW.. I somehow managed to crack the old one while setting the engine back into place.

I'm starting to feel like I been throwing money into a boat anchor here..

Brad
I really hate to say this but some of the early power stroke blocks liked to crack in the fuel gallery/passages and gave the same problems you are experiencing with fuel in the engine oil. Your year is among them.

There is a test kit for this from the Ford Service "Rotunda" group that pressurizes the fuel system and the problems/cracks were found with soap bubbles, and a timed "leak off" test.

I'd ask a Ford service garage of the direction to follow. The service replacement blocks at the time were readily available but there are a few changes through the years so don't quite know what would be required with yours' if the problem is as suspect.

The question I seek an answer for is simply; why, or why not?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode