Oil leak - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by bigdiesel502, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 570 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Oil leak

I've got oil coming out of my right front (the cold side) intercooler tube boot at the intercooler. There's at least a silver dollar size puddle under the truck every morning. The more the boost I pull the more the oil that leaks! Any help on slowing the oil leak down would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 06:16 PM

I don't have an IC, but I don't think there's supposed to be any oil in it. If there is... It's probably not doing it's job as efficiently as it's supposed to. Remove the boot and let it drain out.

Then do a search on the CCV mod and read up.

Hopfully someone that knows more about IC's will be a long shortly.

Good luck w/ that.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:13 PM
BJS

Like BG said check your crankcase vent. (gizmo that goes from drivers' v/c to intake)

the other possibility is that you have a seal leaking into your turbo.

However I'd expect the oil to be comming out of the hot side unless you either have a pool in the intercooler or there is a leak around your boot.

95 F350 Centurion Conversion Bronco (Crew Cab SRW) 4X4 4.10, Isspro Performax Boost, Pyro, & trans temp on the A-pillar, BDP Stage 1 injectors, Open air intake, Dpp Downpipe, Self built E4OD with parts from Racer-X, Tony Wildman Chip, Early '99 Intercooler.

Destin FL Vacation Houses 1 block from the beach
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:30 PM

I recently ended up with a kink in the hose from my CCV mod. Evidently the crankcase pressure got high enough to cause oil leaks at many places of "least resistance". I had oil going into the I/C pipes, leaking out of the EVB shaft on the turbo pedestal and even had it in the turbo. Re-routed the hose and added an elbow and all is well.
I didn't get any leaks from the I/C pipes themselves, but when I removed them there was alot of oil in them just outside the intercooler.

Just some more information that you might can use.
Edmguy

2011 F-250 CC Shortbox Platinum Wht Fx4 6.7l

(Totalled out on 7-26-2010 -2000 F-250 CC Shorty White
6sp, Luk, Non-Wastegated Van Turbo,
16 clicks of Jody's Tunes )

-2004 Cedar Creek 36' Bunkhouse Fifthwheel
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmguy69
I recently ended up with a kink in the hose from my CCV mod. Evidently the crankcase pressure got high enough to cause oil leaks at many places of "least resistance". I had oil going into the I/C pipes, leaking out of the EVB shaft on the turbo pedestal and even had it in the turbo. Re-routed the hose and added an elbow and all is well.
I didn't get any leaks from the I/C pipes themselves, but when I removed them there was alot of oil in them just outside the intercooler.

Just some more information that you might can use.
Edmguy

I had the same thing happen to me. The intercooler was full of oil from the oil seal on the turbo leaking. IH makes a pipe that goes on the T444Es that makes the bend around the back of the head much nicer and it won't kink.

As for the original posters concern I'd guess it's just build up from the crank case vent. Excessive blow buy could cause more flow through it than normal and running up in the higher boost levels more will cause it too.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for all the info guys! I think my next move is a ccv mod. I'm pulling anywhere from 25 to 30 psi & most of the oil is probably blow by.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode