Truck Died, CPS Bad. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Ghostrider304, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 856 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
S.L.A.P.S. Sgt. at Arms

Truck Died, CPS Bad.

My son and I went to make a trip to the store this morning. Got about a mile away from the house and the truck dies at the first stop light. Started it back up, put it in gear and it died again. Then no start at all. I cranked it again and found that the tac wasn't moving. CPS shot craps on me. Called a good buddy (Chris Webster) and asked if he could hook a brother up, literally. Callled Sunset Ford got the new CPS and trcuk runs fine. Man Ford is real proud of that dam sensor.

Oh, well got 57,000+miles out of the first one. Hey, quick question. If the CPS was going bad would it affect the fuel milage. I only ask cause the last two tanks I've put in it the milage was bad, I mean real bad. Like under 10 mpg runn'n empty.

Thanks,
Will-

William Haskell :evil:
FORMER SLAPS-"[email protected]" Member #12
2006 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 4x4
2001 PSD 4x4Sold
The wife's ride.
2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0 Ltr PSD, White over Gold. SOLD!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 09:36 AM
4cstr

I've never heard of a cps affecting mileage...but I suppose its not entirely out of the question.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 12:27 PM

The CPS in many cases will go out w/o warning. No impact on fuel mileage as far as I have seen. We sell a few of these @ a really good price, and I would always keep a spare handy. I keep at least 2 in my truck, for those times I need to help a brither out!

05/2009 F350 2WD CC DUALLY EBONY (Inside/Out) dropped 3/5 on 305/45-22 - dubbed "Cat Woman"
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 01:05 PM
BJS

I've seen a couple people report a couple MPG difference with a new CPS vs old. but it's highly unlikely that's what's causing you to be that low.

95 F350 Centurion Conversion Bronco (Crew Cab SRW) 4X4 4.10, Isspro Performax Boost, Pyro, & trans temp on the A-pillar, BDP Stage 1 injectors, Open air intake, Dpp Downpipe, Self built E4OD with parts from Racer-X, Tony Wildman Chip, Early '99 Intercooler.

Destin FL Vacation Houses 1 block from the beach
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 02:26 PM

It makes sense that it would lower the mpg, the engine isn't running nearly as efficiently as it should.

Kyle
Early 99 F-250SD 7.3 PSD 4x4. Auto, tymar type intake, straight pipe, Six inch stacks, Tony Wildman Four position chip, Street race, 80 Tow, 80 Econo, Extreme. Let the smoke roll. Upgraded torque converter. Autometer Ultralights on the Pillar. Running Cooper Discover STT's.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 02:30 PM

no offense but I find this interesting. None of you really believe or have seen the cps affect mileage but doesn't it make sense that a part that basically controls the timing of your injectors could affect your mileage. I've had 2 sensors go out completely without warning. I've had two others slowing go out over a period of a couple of weeks. During the two weeks my truck would run rough for a while and then level out clean. I would have problems starting a couple of times and then it would kick off. I would also loose power at times, just enough to notice but not enough to pull over. All of these problems can and do affect fuel consumption so doesn't it stand to reason that the CPS going bad "could" affect mileage.

Just my two cents but I suggest you monitor the next couple of tanks and make the decision yourself on whether it affected your mileage.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
S.L.A.P.S. Sgt. at Arms
Threadstarter

I too have to believe that the CPS on its last leg had something to do with the MPG I was getting. Since I put the new one in the fuel gauge has been less active but I will run a couple of tanks before I make a determination for myself.

Thanks for the input folks,
Will-

2001 PSD 4x4Sold
The wife's ride.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 03:57 PM

Will it could have been the CPS, but then again it could be the new lift, your hoisting the sail higher. I have found that a stiff wind will bring fuel milage down more than towing or steep grades. This was when I came form California to here.

2004 Black over Orange F-250. C/C 304 MBRP turbo back exaust. powertrap air filter(by Wix/Visteon).

SLAPS (St. Louis Area Powestrokes) Member.:Thumbup:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
S.L.A.P.S. Sgt. at Arms
Threadstarter

Only thing there is that this started before mod day. So I know its not the major problem.

Will-

2001 PSD 4x4Sold
The wife's ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode