Tranny Front seal blew out - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Fish Tail, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 865 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Tranny Front seal blew out

Well I was coming home Friday and i smelled oil burning. Pulled over and tranny fluid was pouring out the inspection plate. Seems like I lost the front seal.

Has anyone done a TQ converter on a low mod 7.3? Is it worth the money?

I will have the exhaust intake and chip mods only.

Late model 99 Dually.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 06:10 PM
BJS

a good low-stall torque converter will give you more in the low end and is a good idea even with just a chip. You don't need to throw the $$ at a triple disc converter. A good single disc converter will work more than adequately for what you're looking at doing.

As far as being worth the $$ that's a personal call, realize that most of the 4r100's going out are due to converter failures not the other internals. There are aftermarket front pump seals that seal far better than OE seals.

The front seal tends to leak when overheated but when you cool back down it will usually reseal but you need to replace it soon because the extra heat made the seal brittle.

95 F350 Centurion Conversion Bronco (Crew Cab SRW) 4X4 4.10, Isspro Performax Boost, Pyro, & trans temp on the A-pillar, BDP Stage 1 injectors, Open air intake, Dpp Downpipe, Self built E4OD with parts from Racer-X, Tony Wildman Chip, Early '99 Intercooler.

Destin FL Vacation Houses 1 block from the beach
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the input any recommendations?

Who would you recommend?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 03:17 AM
BJS

as in a shop or what aftermarket part.

To my benefit when mine went out I went to a local trans distribution warehouse and picked up one from them and can't say that I can tell you who the mfg was though :dunno:

In talking with some of the local trans builders none of them will use the OE seal there. I'd just look in your phone book and swing by a tranny shop and ask them what they recommend and what they would charge to do the work. Play dumb and they'll try to talk up whatever and will usually drop names.

95 F350 Centurion Conversion Bronco (Crew Cab SRW) 4X4 4.10, Isspro Performax Boost, Pyro, & trans temp on the A-pillar, BDP Stage 1 injectors, Open air intake, Dpp Downpipe, Self built E4OD with parts from Racer-X, Tony Wildman Chip, Early '99 Intercooler.

Destin FL Vacation Houses 1 block from the beach
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Tail
Who would you recommend?
What you need is a viton front pump seal. Their hi temp. The stock seal is very elastic and will come back to shape and seal 9 times out of 10. A can of transmission conditioner has seal softeners in it. You can try that first, unless you have your mind set on doing the converter now. I have over 100,000 on a stock seal in my 95 since it did the puddle on me while towing. It gets a can of conditioner with every ATF change.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks

I drive a ton like 800 - 900 miles a week so I woul prefer to get the seal changed. I have a great tranny guy who gets me all the parts at cost and he does not use the factory sela on the front. as far as the converter.....I dont feel like dropping 700-1000 dollars for one. If it were 3-400 maybe.
Thanks for your information and input I will post what we find wrong.

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode