another set of questions - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by stormtrooper, this thread has received 16 replies and been viewed 1969 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
LLROT

Garage
Question another set of questions

I apologize in advance for maybe rethreading some of these questions. I cannot search at work because the "make sure you're human" images don't appear.

Only on cold mornings, 40 and below, there is white smoke on startup. It appears white, not white/blue, at least as far as I can tell. Once warm it is gone. The startup is a little elongated warm or cold.

My steering and brake booster? seem to be 'connected' in that they are making a lot of noise. When I am turning and hitting the brakes especially, there is a loud whirring sound. My brakes seem to not be as good as they were 6 months ago either. Full pads and new rotors.

I was also wondering if anyone knew about good diesel shops in Mobile, AL.

Thank you gentlemen.

'02 F250 with the legendary 7.3L. DP tuner, DIY dual Spectre Diesel Cone air intake, 6" lift with front level, RedHead steering gear, 37x13.5r20 Toyo Open Country MTs, Fuel Hostage rims, straight stock exhaust, custom built rear bumper.

Future mods: rear locker, 4.30s or possibly 4.56s, iron bull front bumper, injectors, ccv mod, turbo rebuild from turboworx, onboard compressor.....

Looking for more mods and upgrades. Feel free to suggest improvements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Old Fart

Garage
On the noisy booster, check your power steering reservoir and make sure it is full. The power steering runs both the brakes and the steering.

Dave

2004 Ford F-350 Regular cab with 6.0.
Completely Stock.

KK6TNI - HAM Radio

http://bennettlaneshopping.com/ - Our Outdoor/Garden and Kitchen Ware store
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
LLROT
Threadstarter

Garage
could it be that the fluid is dirty? I don't know much about power steering and brake boosters. I also noticed some ps fluid outside the cap, is it time for a new reservoir, pump, or both?

'02 F250 with the legendary 7.3L. DP tuner, DIY dual Spectre Diesel Cone air intake, 6" lift with front level, RedHead steering gear, 37x13.5r20 Toyo Open Country MTs, Fuel Hostage rims, straight stock exhaust, custom built rear bumper.

Future mods: rear locker, 4.30s or possibly 4.56s, iron bull front bumper, injectors, ccv mod, turbo rebuild from turboworx, onboard compressor.....

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Those "hydroboost" systems run hot and deteriorate the fluid. I'd change the fluid and check the pressure output of the pump.

The question I seek an answer for is simply; why, or why not?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
LLROT
Threadstarter

Garage
is there a mod for that or just simply a regulatory fluid change?

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
LLROT
Threadstarter

Garage
also my trans temp gauge nevwer moves. When I turn the key to on, it goes about half way, and after driving 20 min or 6 hours without shutting off, it doesn't change. How do I fix this?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post
is there a mod for that or just simply a regulatory fluid change?
I change both power steering, and transmission fluids ever two years no matter the mileage as habit. If your fluid smells burnt, or is very dark, (no matter the medium) it would be best to change.

The Following User Says Thank You to Backslap For this addition to TDG:
stormtrooper (03-10-2014)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
also my trans temp gauge nevwer moves. When I turn the key to on, it goes about half way, and after driving 20 min or 6 hours without shutting off, it doesn't change. How do I fix this?
I don't know about your truck but most transmissions which have a temperature monitor have a temp sensor incorporated in the case. This, the gauge, or the interconnection wiring could be a fault. If the gauge is moving when the keyswitch is moved to the "on" position, the system is seeing voltage, but they usually cycle full sweep before settling down to represent the temperature reading.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
LLROT
Threadstarter

Garage
It's about 2 quarts right? and what's the best way to drain/refill?

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
It's about 2 quarts right? and what's the best way to drain/refill?
I like to take the return line loose from either the steering gear, or the pump unit itself and hang it down to a low point into a drain pan after elevating the front tires clear of the floor and placing the truck on jack stands. Then remove the fill cap of the reservoir, and slowly cycle the steering gear from full left to right, (engine off) to purge the fluid. Some hydroboost systems have a filter in the reservoir but I don't think yours does and this should be changed if present. After drained, replace hose, and fill with the correct fluid. Start the engine and complete the fill after cycling the steering gear full left and right a few times to purge air in the system. Check and top off the fluid level after about 1/2 hour of run time to ensure it's full.

The Following User Says Thank You to Backslap For this addition to TDG:
stormtrooper (03-10-2014)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode