95 PSD up and died - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Lunchbox, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 1002 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Lunchbox
95 PSD up and died

Hey guys,

A while back I was looking for advice on my smoking 95 PSD. I didn't get a lot of help, but I've drove it about 100 miles since I asked about it, and it seems as the more I drive, the better it is getting (hopefully running it with a bad piston just pushed oil/fuel into the exhaust and it will continue to burn out)

Today a new issue arose.. I drove it to town, all was fine. Coming home, it hiccuped a couple times (almost like a air pocket in the fuel) but kept on trucking. Came home popped the hood and had a look around for anything suspicious.. Nothing I could see.

Just a bit ago, I had went to the folks house (short drive, bout 2 miles).. Ran fine on the way there, shut the truck off, was there bout a hour. Left to come home, halfway home it hiccuped a time or 2 again and stalled and don't want to restart. Towed it home, popped the hood, looked for anything odd (basically trying to find somewhere where it may be introducing air into the system) but I see nothing. Tried it again, it started, ran for 2-3 minutes and stalled, no restart.

No check engine light.

Only thing that comes into play at all (and should have nothing to do with hicups/stalling) is I noticed earlier the starter didn't sound good, and tonight after dark I noticed it's dropping sparks when cranking, so I guess new starter tomorrow at least.

Any ideas on what may be causing my stalling? It did this a time or 2 before, back before I rebuilt the engine (had pulled/reinstalled injectors back then, so I figured it was a air situation), and on occasion has been hard to restart after running, but it can sit for weeks and fire right up no problems, so I really don't believe air in fuel system is the issue, however, other than the stalling, it occasionally acts like my old IDI did when I had a fuel leak on it.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the novel.
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Send a message via MSN to Lunchbox
OK, now I have to add I towed it home about 9pm.. Messed with it for about a half hour. Walked outside soon as I posted the original post and hit the key and shazam, started perfect.. ran flawlessly, let it idle for nearly 10 minutes.. sat in the truck and worked the throttle, no stumble, no nothing.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 06:05 AM
Stuck in Commiefornia...

Garage
Check the main engine grounds before you buy a starter. If your grounds are loose they can spark. And if you painted the engine, did you remove the paint at the grounds? Sounds stupid, but the engine will ground itself anywhere it has to to make a circuit including through weaker electronics. Check your grounds first.

Then if everything checks good, you can check your fuel pump for flow. Make sure the volume of fuel is adequate, and if you test through a clear hose to a jug, make sure there is no air coming from the pump. The mechanical pump should move at least 60gph, that's a gallon a minute or a quart in 15 seconds. So an easy test is have someone crank the truck for 15 seconds and you should get 1 quart in a container.

The Current Truck (Oct-2013 to Present):
1999 (Early) F-350 Lariat, CCLB, SRW, Black/Tan

7.3L Powerstroke, 4R100, 4x4, 3.73, 37x13.50-18s, '05 Axle Swap, 6" Fabtech lift, GTP38 "D66" turbo upgrade, SCT 4-position chip with custom tuning by me, Straight Piped 4" down pipe through 5" dual stacks, N-Fab full length triple steps, Pro-Tech cab guard and tool box, louvered 5th wheel gate, Hella 500 Fog and Driving lamps, much more to come...
The one I'll miss, (Mar-2009 to Jan-2014):
2000 Excursion XLT 4x4

6.8L V-10, 4R100, 4.30, 285/75-18, 271whp / 388wtq
The one I won't, (Jul-2005 to Sep-2012):
2005 F-350 XLT, CCLB, SRW, 4x4 FX4

6.0L PSD, ZF-6S650, 3.73, 35x12.5-18, 4.5" Lift
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 12:06 PM

Cold be a bad CSP sensor, or one that is going bad. I just had the same issue as far as engine just dying. I changed the CSP sensor and my fuel filter. Still did it. Had the codes checked. Showed a communication problem between the IDM and the PCM. I had read a thread where someone cleaned the terminals with terminal cleaner and used a small amount of dielectric grease upon reinstallation. I talked to a local diesel mechanic who confirmed those terminals can corrode and disrupt the connection. Anyway no further problems, must have worked.

2002 F350 4x4 7.3L
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 01:29 AM

As a follow up to my post above. Truck stalled 2 week after that post, just driving along at low idle speed. Replaced the CPS again from Advance and truck ran with no other problems. Stalled again about 2 weeks later one day when it started raining. Going crazy I took it back to the local diesel mechanic at the dealership. He had it for 2 days, took it home and no stalling. Puzzled I took it home and had read that the after market CPS can have some kind of electrical interference with the wiper switch, especially on intermittent. On day it was raining, so went out started the truck and turned the wiper to full, no problem, turned it to intermittent and the truck stuttered or hiccuped. Next day went to the dealership and got a OEM CPS. Installed it and no further problems. Anyone ever had a similar problem?

2002 F350 4x4 7.3L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode