Injector ??? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 4cstr, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 3122 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
4cstr

Injector ???

I am thinking about re-oringing my injectors. But...also began to toy with the idea of since my current injectors have 125k on them...maybe instead of re-oringing them to have them go in another 40k miles or so, what about just replacing them. I soon discovered that there are two types, the AB and AD. I believe my early 99 came with AB. So...whats the difference between AB and AD? Can AD injectors be run in an early 99 truck...or is tuning required?

Lastly...what other options do I have? I don't do quarter mile blasts or sled pulls. I pull my 10k camper around and use my truck as a daily driver. I want something thats reliable and provides good safe power and good mpg.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:06 AM

Wish I could be more help Dave, But I need to learn about Injectors too.

The '95 in my sig is pushing 230k on origanal GP's and injectors.
Heck, never even had the valve covers off yet.......

I was thinking of an injector mod for the '00 so I'm wanting to learn..:Thumbup:

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:18 AM

94-97 power stokes used single shot injectors, 99-03 used split shot injectors. 94-97 have an a" or an aa" on the solenid preceding the serial number. 99.5 and newer injectors have ad" marked on them. some trucks have ae" on them, on the #8 injector to combat idle knock/cackle. the difference these injectors have is the bypass port in the plunger and barrel assembly. :Thumbup:
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cstr
I am thinking about re-oringing my injectors. But...also began to toy with the idea of since my current injectors have 125k on them...maybe instead of re-oringing them to have them go in another 40k miles or so, what about just replacing them. I soon discovered that there are two types, the AB and AD. I believe my early 99 came with AB. So...whats the difference between AB and AD? Can AD injectors be run in an early 99 truck...or is tuning required?

Lastly...what other options do I have? I don't do quarter mile blasts or sled pulls. I pull my 10k camper around and use my truck as a daily driver. I want something thats reliable and provides good safe power and good mpg.

Thanks
Your ealry 99 came with AB's...which are about 10-20cc's less than AD's. The good thing is, You can have your AB's rebuilt with "AA" single shot plungers, and you will then end up with a set of 160cc stage-I's. No machining necessary for this.

Hammer
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:26 AM
RSP
Rockin-S

I dont think that is what he wanted to know, He wanted to know the difference in ABs and ADs. ADs flow more CCs of fuel and will run just like the ABs just flow a bit more.

97 F350 PSD Crew Cab 4X4 Almost Stock :umno:
79 F250 CTD Super Cab 4X4 Almost Stock
79 F150 Reg Cab 4X4 Whimpy 512 CI BigBlock Some day it will be a CTD too
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSP
I dont think that is what he wanted to know, He wanted to know the difference in ABs and ADs. ADs flow more CCs of fuel and will run just like the ABs just flow a bit more.
if you reread my post, i said the AB's are 10-20 CC's less fuel. That is exaclty the same as what you just said.

What I also did was alert him of a cheap performance upgrade path he could take since he has AB's.

Hammer
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
4cstr

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Hammer...I assume tho that if I had 160 stage ones that I would need all together new tuning for that.

Just trying to lay my options in front of me right now. My local diesel mechanic wanted $600 just to re-ring my injectors..or $2500 for a set of AB's installed. Thats just a bit more money that I have right now.

Hammer...looking at the time of your first post and RSP's, I think he was referring to the post above yours.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cstr
Thanks for the replies fellas.

Hammer...I assume tho that if I had 160 stage ones that I would need all together new tuning for that.

Just trying to lay my options in front of me right now. My local diesel mechanic wanted $600 just to re-ring my injectors..or $2500 for a set of AB's installed. Thats just a bit more money that I have right now.

Hammer...looking at the time of your first post and RSP's, I think he was referring to the post above yours.
Yes, you would need new single shot programming.

You could take your AB's...pay for AA code plungers at around $60 a piece plus cost of rebuild at an injector shop...probably about $800 for the job. Then whatever it cost to have the injectors R&R'd (u can do this yourself).

Hammer
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 08:42 AM

Replacing the o-rings on your injectors isn't that hard at all. Definately not worth $600. If you have a free weekend just install the injectors yourself, its time consuming but worth not having to spend some big $$. I just some mms for a good price and o-ringed and installed myself. It probably took about 7 hours total, with me taking my time. Good luck with your decision, new injectors definately will make you smile!:HappyMugs
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Finger Lickin GOOD!!!

4cstr, You should get ahold od Casserly (Beans DP) and get some injectors from him.:Thumbup:
Ive got a good set of AB's if someones needing cores..

IF IT AINT SMOKIN' IT MUST BE BROKEN!!
2001 F-350 CC,Lwb,2wd, Police Interceptor Pkg, TS Performance Enhanced.

If you only new the truth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode