Injector ??? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 4cstr, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 3122 times.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
4cstr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Points: 0 [Check]
Injector ???

I am thinking about re-oringing my injectors. But...also began to toy with the idea of since my current injectors have 125k on them...maybe instead of re-oringing them to have them go in another 40k miles or so, what about just replacing them. I soon discovered that there are two types, the AB and AD. I believe my early 99 came with AB. So...whats the difference between AB and AD? Can AD injectors be run in an early 99 truck...or is tuning required?

Lastly...what other options do I have? I don't do quarter mile blasts or sled pulls. I pull my 10k camper around and use my truck as a daily driver. I want something thats reliable and provides good safe power and good mpg.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Diesel Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N.E. Mississippi
Posts: 4,024
Points: 45,730
Thanks: 84
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Wish I could be more help Dave, But I need to learn about Injectors too.

The '95 in my sig is pushing 230k on origanal GP's and injectors.
Heck, never even had the valve covers off yet.......

I was thinking of an injector mod for the '00 so I'm wanting to learn..:Thumbup:

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
Diesel Dog is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:18 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,592
Points: 53,034
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
94-97 power stokes used single shot injectors, 99-03 used split shot injectors. 94-97 have an a" or an aa" on the solenid preceding the serial number. 99.5 and newer injectors have ad" marked on them. some trucks have ae" on them, on the #8 injector to combat idle knock/cackle. the difference these injectors have is the bypass port in the plunger and barrel assembly. :Thumbup:
imported_diesel71 is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:25 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 210
Points: 8,139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cstr
I am thinking about re-oringing my injectors. But...also began to toy with the idea of since my current injectors have 125k on them...maybe instead of re-oringing them to have them go in another 40k miles or so, what about just replacing them. I soon discovered that there are two types, the AB and AD. I believe my early 99 came with AB. So...whats the difference between AB and AD? Can AD injectors be run in an early 99 truck...or is tuning required?

Lastly...what other options do I have? I don't do quarter mile blasts or sled pulls. I pull my 10k camper around and use my truck as a daily driver. I want something thats reliable and provides good safe power and good mpg.

Thanks
Your ealry 99 came with AB's...which are about 10-20cc's less than AD's. The good thing is, You can have your AB's rebuilt with "AA" single shot plungers, and you will then end up with a set of 160cc stage-I's. No machining necessary for this.

Hammer
TheHammer69 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:26 AM
RSP
Rockin-S
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 215
Points: 2,718
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont think that is what he wanted to know, He wanted to know the difference in ABs and ADs. ADs flow more CCs of fuel and will run just like the ABs just flow a bit more.

97 F350 PSD Crew Cab 4X4 Almost Stock :umno:
79 F250 CTD Super Cab 4X4 Almost Stock
79 F150 Reg Cab 4X4 Whimpy 512 CI BigBlock Some day it will be a CTD too
RSP is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:32 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 210
Points: 8,139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSP
I dont think that is what he wanted to know, He wanted to know the difference in ABs and ADs. ADs flow more CCs of fuel and will run just like the ABs just flow a bit more.
if you reread my post, i said the AB's are 10-20 CC's less fuel. That is exaclty the same as what you just said.

What I also did was alert him of a cheap performance upgrade path he could take since he has AB's.


Hammer
TheHammer69 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
4cstr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Points: 0 [Check]
Thanks for the replies fellas.

Hammer...I assume tho that if I had 160 stage ones that I would need all together new tuning for that.

Just trying to lay my options in front of me right now. My local diesel mechanic wanted $600 just to re-ring my injectors..or $2500 for a set of AB's installed. Thats just a bit more money that I have right now.

Hammer...looking at the time of your first post and RSP's, I think he was referring to the post above yours.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:52 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 210
Points: 8,139
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cstr
Thanks for the replies fellas.

Hammer...I assume tho that if I had 160 stage ones that I would need all together new tuning for that.

Just trying to lay my options in front of me right now. My local diesel mechanic wanted $600 just to re-ring my injectors..or $2500 for a set of AB's installed. Thats just a bit more money that I have right now.

Hammer...looking at the time of your first post and RSP's, I think he was referring to the post above yours.
Yes, you would need new single shot programming.

You could take your AB's...pay for AA code plungers at around $60 a piece plus cost of rebuild at an injector shop...probably about $800 for the job. Then whatever it cost to have the injectors R&R'd (u can do this yourself).

Hammer
TheHammer69 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 08:42 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18
Points: 44
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replacing the o-rings on your injectors isn't that hard at all. Definately not worth $600. If you have a free weekend just install the injectors yourself, its time consuming but worth not having to spend some big $$. I just some mms for a good price and o-ringed and installed myself. It probably took about 7 hours total, with me taking my time. Good luck with your decision, new injectors definately will make you smile!:HappyMugs
f250power is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Finger Lickin GOOD!!!
 
jjeepyjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 277
Points: 1,555
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4cstr, You should get ahold od Casserly (Beans DP) and get some injectors from him.:Thumbup:
Ive got a good set of AB's if someones needing cores..

IF IT AINT SMOKIN' IT MUST BE BROKEN!!
2001 F-350 CC,Lwb,2wd, Police Interceptor Pkg, TS Performance Enhanced.

If you only new the truth.
jjeepyjohn is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome