changing coolant what is the right way??? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by art442, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 586 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

changing coolant what is the right way???

a leak just started today and it looks like the lower radaitor hose neck. I wiped it all up and hopefully will see exactly where it is comming from. The truck right now has the green should i stick with it and use diesel add. or try the gold?????? and if gold whats the right way is switching over:shrug:

:93C_peelo early 99ps extra cab short bed gale banks exhaust, pyro boost trans temp gauge, upgraded 99.5 air intake kit, afe air intake kit, ebpv deleted, dp tuner f16 chip, power rear slider window, 04 style headlights, diesel inovation regulated fuel system, f.a.s.s fuel pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 05:09 AM

Changing your coolant welll....

This can open up a can of worms but...oh wait ..thought this was TDS......never mind here we go......There is NO official Ford TBS or any covert illuminati document that officially recognizes the switch over to the gold coolant.

Some will say gold is good and only the gold, some will say use the spec#'s from you owners manual and use the red, Havoline, Texaco, etc.....ok confused....?///yet....?....: :roflmao: soooooo

Once you get into your comfort zone and settle in on a coolant use about 16 gallons of distilled water ONLY, this is to reduce mineral content and corrosion.

Just like in the old days: drain-fill-heat up drain again-fill-repeat until you have last 4 gallons of water left. Fill up with the last four gallons, drain and then TOP off w/ your coolant beverage of choice and you will be pretty dang nuts on the 50/50 mixture..:blah: :blah:

From there I've learned to leave coolant level down about 1/4" below indicated line and have had no overflow....now your ready for
  • one of these :HappyMugs
  • or you can also start these coolant mods.... 203* t-stat w/ billet neck, dual alt. upper hose, and coolant filter kit.......

Took me two years but first had beer then the others.....:Thumbup:
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 05:16 AM

ether one will work, aslong as you flush the system VERY WELL and only use DISTILLED water. :Thumbup:
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

do you think its wise just to stick with the green or try the gold? and where can i find the gold for a good price????

Thanks for the help guys

:93C_peelo early 99ps extra cab short bed gale banks exhaust, pyro boost trans temp gauge, upgraded 99.5 air intake kit, afe air intake kit, ebpv deleted, dp tuner f16 chip, power rear slider window, 04 style headlights, diesel inovation regulated fuel system, f.a.s.s fuel pump
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 12:07 AM

i just drained mine, replaced the neck, and filled it up with distilled water, diesel coolant additive, and prestone low tox... which is green coolant
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 04:57 AM

Green will work fine. just use distilled water and dont forget to add fw16 coolant addative.:Thumbup:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode